Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Militarisation of Emergency Aid to Haiti - Is it a Humanitarian Operation or an Invasion ?

Default The Militarisation of Emergency Aid to Haiti - Is it a Humanitarian Operation or an Invasion ?

13th January 2010 news came through of a earthquake in Haiti. At the time some of us were on Tok, a temporary freeforum. I'm bringing this thread here so we can continue to follow what is happening in Haiti.

Poor Haiti - a major earthquake seven hours ago and hundreds killed in Port au Prince
    http://www.nwprogressive.org/weblog/...kes-haiti.html
    They have not recovered yet from the two hurricanes are in desperate poverty.

Default Re: Haiti - Hurricanes, Earthquakes and What Else?

Its turned out to be a terrible earthquake in terms of destruction.
    THey need a lot of help - they still have hundreds of thousands of people not properly housed after the hurricanes.
    I recommend this Haitian blog, that describes from the inside what the succession of coups have meant in terms of Haitian resources being creamed off by outside Corporations.
    http://www.prevalhaiti.com/messages.php/14570
    I read that Obama has offered help - 72 men. Which compares rather poorly to the 100, 000 "helpers" in Afghanistan.
    The earthquake Richter 7+ was close to the surface and brought down most of the main buildings of Port au Prince.

Posted by Ah Well:

I spent a lot of time watching it last night and a bit today too ... truly awful occurrence.
    While far from pleasant viewing, the Internet has played its part big time here. While standard communications seemed to be badly affected amazingly some people in Haiti had internet connections and were able to use social media such as Twitter and Skype to contact the outside world.
    These links I found very useful, if sober, viewing.
    http://live.cnn.com/ CNN Live - gives a good general overview. Had a lot of coverage up to this afternoon, they'll prob have more later
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=...d=252988675717 Facebook Site with 38000+ signups. Heartrending stuff seeing so many enquiring as to loved ones here. Came across one today where a woman was looking for rescue assistance to search hotel rubble for her husband and 3 kids and she was able to hear her daughter crying. I emailed the US Embassy in Haiti with her message on Facebook in the faint hope it might get picked up or acted upon
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/pierrecote This made for riveting viewing last night & today. This guy Pierrecote is in Montreal and spent 14 hours online chatting on occasions to people in Haiti by using Skype enquiring about missing persons for people and getting info re general damage. Major Broadcasters such as CNN were onto him. People also acted as translators for him into English, French and Creole in the Chatroom. He might be online later tonight.

Posted by 5intheFace

Posted: 13 Jan 2010 09:32 pm Post subject:

I was married in neighbouring DR and was taken aback by the poverty there and humbled a bit by the comparative luxury we were enjoying. When I got back, I read up a bit more on the area and its history. If the DR had it bad, it was nothing to the hardships both natural and political, across the border.

Although the two nations differ hugely in ethnicity, language and culture, the Haitian influences are so strong that they permeate the entire Island. Their culture is rich and vibrant despite all that has happened, I truly hope they can recover and the world puts a fraction of the effort into assisting them that they put into warmongering for natural resources elsewhere.

Yes, that is very immediate reaction and reporting.

I was in a very small earthquake once and it was the most terrifying thing I ever experienced. You want to grab the children and run but there's nowhere safe to run to.

http://www.yele.org/about-us/

Wycliffe Jean's appeal is reportedly Haitian run and is easy to give money to through this site.

Port au Prince looks almost as if a nuclear bomb has dropped.

Geoeye and Google have updated Satellite Images which show the devastation in Haiti ...

Can be viewed here and possible to scroll around using the embedded version in this Site for example

GeoEye Haiti Satellite Images

estouxim posted

I´m outraged!!!
    Obama has just elevated adding insult to injury to a new dimension. As if it was not perverse enough to appoint Clinton as special envoy to Haiti, the nomination of Bush to "help" him is a new record in cynicism:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704281204575003433920577398.html?m od=WSJ_WSJ_US_News_5

Ah Well

Just seen this online .... Cruise Ships still docking on the North Coast of Haiti ... hell on earth continues to be played out to the South

Yes, yes I know their presence is good for local economy and all that ... but I'm not in the better of having read this tbh

youngdan posted
    It must be easy to outrage you. Have you seen any change yet

Yes - it seems very odd that if that port is functioning and Port au Prince isn't that they can't make some use of it.

It would seem to make sense to evacuate some people to places where aid can be got. 60 milies is 2 -3 days walk.

There are planes taking embassy staff away. I hope they are not arriving empty.

Once its not in the way, holidays in Haiti are probably the best thing we could do, but at the moment it just seems like dancing on graves.

Ah Well posted

Yep, Haiti was a godforsaken full of human misery type of place for the majority of its inhabitants a few weeks ago anyway ... now one could argue it's just even more of a godforsaken place full of increased human misery and for a lot of additional people too ....

And even if the earthquake had not occurred these cruise ships would have been calling regardless to a godforsaken full of human misery place anyway ...

Hard call ..... maybe cruise visits could have been suspended for a few weeks ... but that would prob add misery to the lives of other inhabitants there with no other form of gainful employment...

estouxim posted

Well, considering that the airport is nearly in the center of Port-au-Prince and that there is a large unbuilt area adjacent to it, it seems that the first thing to do would be to bring the people there. Maybe 1 hour walk from the furthest perimeter. Take a look:

http://maps.google.pt/maps/empw?url=http:%2F%2Fmaps.google.pt%2Fmaps%3Fhl%3Dp t-PT%26ie%3DUTF8%26ll%3D18.577918,-72.314672%26spn%3D0.042144,0.055189%26t%3Dh%26z%3D 14%26output%3Dembed&hl=pt-PT&gl=pt

So, in all the news what we hear again and again is that it's extremely dificult to move the aid to the people. It's the roads, the security, the security, the security...
    Why not bring the people to the aid, as you so rightly sugest?

Quote:Once its not in the way, holidays in Haiti are probably the best thing we could do, but at the moment it just seems like dancing on graves.

Guess who spent (or maybe not) their honeymoon in Duvalier's paradise...

It seems Mrs Clinton yesterday's visit closed the airport for three hours. Wonder if the photoop was worth it.

The US response to Hurricane Katrina was so disfunctional, morally and in terms of action, that it is unconscionable that they have been allowed to take over the airport.
    Even now, they probably are trying to sell franchises to the Golden Nugget and Gloopy Donuts & Co. to sell food to the population of Port au Prince, with armed guards at the tills.

Most of the work now of buying bodies and digging has been done by Haitians, according to reports this morning on Newstalk.

The best way of distributing emergency aid would be to ask the Haitians to organise themselves and assist in distribution.

The Haitians should form action councils based on whatever area or group they think most efficient - in fact, this may be happening - the burials appear to be well organised.

They should distribute the aid themselves, working through the Haitian government and in liaison with those supplying aid.

They could not do worse than the outside "experts" are doing.

Ah Well posted

EU Foreign Affairs Council Meet Press Conference due to start in approx 10 mins

Live and On-Demand Streaming - Council of the European Union

or

RTÉ Ireland's National Television and Radio Broadcaster

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast