Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corrib gas legal actions against State withdrawn by An Taisce

Default Re: Corrib gas legal actions against State withdrawn by An Taisce

Shell to Sea certainly aren't happy about the way this one turned out...

News Release - Another deal behind closed doors betrays people of Erris

News release - Issued by Shell to Sea - Thursday, October 27th, 2011

ANOTHER DEAL BEHIND CLOSED DOORS BETRAYS PEOPLE OF ERRIS

-- Withdrawal of An Taisce case against government sparks anger in community --

The State has admitted it failed to correctly bring into law required EU Environmental Directives. The admission was made today in the Commercial Court, in a case in which An Taisce withdrew its legal challenge to the validity of consents for the Corrib Gas project.

Despite this, the State is still maintaining that the consents given to Shell, including one given by interim Fianna Fáil minister Pat Carey on the day of the last general election, are still valid.

Shell to Sea spokesperson Terence Conway said: “If the state isn't going to carry out its moral duty to protect the people of Erris, then it falls on the ordinary people of Ireland to stand up for themselves. It's all very well being vindicated but we're still left fighting this monument to political corruption. This is just the latest deal in the whole Corrib project done behind closed doors that ends up betraying a local community which has been fighting this unwanted development for over ten years.”

Shell to Sea spokesperson Maura Harrington added: “It isn't rational what happened today, how can the State acknowledge that something is wrong and at the same time claim that consents stemming from that are still valid? It appears to us that An Taisce while acknowledging that Corrib represents a 'travesty of European Environmental Law' is willing to trade that, for their costs and a seat on an environmental law implementation group yet to be established.”

Terence Conway continued: “The State has admitted what it has done is wrong, therefore the right step forward would be to withdraw all the consents until the law is followed. When someone admits wrongdoing, then common sense and justice states that they need to put it right. In the face of a state that will not do its statutory duty, it is the ordinary people who are left with a justified fight on their hands.”

ENDS

NOTES

[1] Challenges to Corrib pipeline settled -

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1027/corrib.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ryder View Post
    And I can't forget that Monica Muller was the person who gave Mayo County Council the proximal excuse to begin eviction proceedings against Rossport Solidarity Camp to drive us out of the dunes in Glengad, so that Shell can destroy them without interruption.
    Can you please explain what you mean by this? What did she do to trigger the eviction? Is she in An Taisce?

Over the years, I have been very aware of An Taisce's role in many different infrastructure controversies, and they are always self-serving, to the point of undermining the public campaigns. They are lethal. There is another one on the horizon, and Sweetman and co are sniffing around. They need to be kept out this time, and the only way to do that is to expose them for once and for all.

Interesting follow-up in the Irish Times today:

An Taisce to hold public meeting on settling of Corrib gas case

An Taisce is to hold a public meeting in Belmullet, north Co Mayo, tonight in the wake of community criticism of its settled court action over the Corrib gas pipeline, writes Lorna Siggins .

Last week, the community group Pobal Chill Chomáin called for “legal clarity” on the Corrib project, following the decision by An Taisce and two residents to withdraw from court proceedings in late October. The group said it found it “baffling” that An Taisce would “walk away” when the court settlement had included an acknowledgment by the State that Ireland had failed to properly transpose certain aspects of the environmental impact assessment directive.

However, the State also claimed its consents, which had been challenged in the legal actions, were valid. Shell EP Ireland welcomed the settlement’s “legal clarity”.

An Taisce is to host tonight’s meeting to discuss “perspectives“on the settlement, which it has described as a victory for the environment.

One wonders if they will make it out alive?

Stinks of the same dead fish smell I get with one or two other 'heritage protection' organisations in Ireland- that of ostensible opposition but in reality no more than a lever for lowering objections by pretending to be an umbrella organisation against potentially damaging infrastructure projects and then rolling over at an appropriate point.

I think there is very good reason to have a look at the accounts of certain heritage organisations in Ireland as I noticed elsewhere that one organisation seemed to receive funds from an unusual quarter and shortly thereafter came to an arrangement with a private organisation they had previously had objection with ... I don't like the smell at all off some of these apparent guardians of the environment.

Nose is twitching every time I see some blunted objection in this area and it makes me want to peer into the accounts of the organisations involved.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    Stinks of the same dead fish smell I get with one or two other 'heritage protection' organisations in Ireland- that of ostensible opposition but in reality no more than a lever for lowering objections by pretending to be an umbrella organisation against potentially damaging infrastructure projects and then rolling over at an appropriate point.

I think there is very good reason to have a look at the accounts of certain heritage organisations in Ireland as I noticed elsewhere that one organisation seemed to receive funds from an unusual quarter and shortly thereafter came to an arrangement with a private organisation they had previously had objection with ... I don't like the smell at all off some of these apparent guardians of the environment.

Nose is twitching every time I see some blunted objection in this area and it makes me want to peer into the accounts of the organisations involved.
    Both the Greens and An Taisce have failed miserably to protect our environment, being more obsessed with maintaining their own private agenda's - completely contrary to the spirit and letter of sustainable development. They prey on local campaigns, to promote themselves...usually selling the locals down the tubes in the process. In exchange for free publicity, new members, etc, they make settlements that result in their members getting expenses, legal fees, etc. They create havoc during the process, as they are completely anti-democratic, and always cause arguments in campaigns, when they don't get their way. Remember, this is not even an An Taisce law suit. It was taken by Peter Sweetman, not An Taisce.

An Taisce have been getting away with this for years, but now finally the community in Mayo is calling them to task. Check this story on Indymedia:

An taisce withdrawal sparks four protests in two days

Last week, an taisce pulled out of a judicial review challenging the granting of consents in Sruwaddacon Bay as part of the Bellinaboy gas refinery project. Already the subject of a ten year campaign, this was not going to be taken lightly. The local community have been left with very little options, but that had not stopped the determination to fight on.

I really hope somebody videos tonight's meeting
    Last edited by Anti-Coalition; 15-11-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Some of the people involved in these organisations do look very like stooges or plants to me. Professional fence-refusers.

Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

THis throws another wrinkle into the case. It appears that An Taisce did in fact, take a case, in addition to Sweetman and Mueller - and those two are complaining about An Taisce settling. Why don't I believe a word Sweetman says?

Mayo News: Rossport residents say An Taisce ‘undermined’ them

...On the first day of the case he (Sweetman) claimed that a settlement between An Taisce and the State was at an advanced stage and that their senior counsel was approached by the State with a view to settlement. They refused to settle and decided to advance the case on three grounds.
    One of the grounds was that An Bord Pleanála had failed to carry out an Appropriate Assessment as required under the Habitats Directive in the correct manner. This was raised in the tenth day of the case and Mr Sweetman said it was to their ‘amazement’ that An Taisce only requested that the decision be reverted to the Board to be corrected technically.
    Mr Sweetman felt their case died when they could not disprove the assessment by Karl Kent, deputy Chair of ABP, that all members of the board had taken home the whole file for the whole Christmas period. Mr Kent told counsel for Mr Sweetman and Ms Muller that the notes made over this period were ‘shredded’ as were all notes made at the board meetings.
    “The person who had supported our case financially was in court for this examination, and said to us that we must try and settle as he felt that we could not now win. We agreed. We were again approached by council for the State and informed that An Taisce were settling their case. We then negotiated the best deal we could,” said Mr Sweetman.
    He said the conditions included having both himself and Ms Muller nominated to the Conditions Monitoring Committee, which was established to monitor the implementation of the conditions attached to the consents. A spokesperson for Shell EP Ireland welcomed the settlement as a ‘very significant day for the Corrib project’.

Ah- the old shredder comes to the rescue of dodgy governance in Ireland. At least they are modernising.

They used to be prone to small and exquisitely destructive fires in the paperwork.

I was waiting to hear news of the public meeting that was to be held by An Taisce, to explain to the community of Mayo the settlement that was made with Shell. It was hard to find information, because there was nothing in the news. Finally, I got to talk to one member of the local community.

Charles Stanley Smith, Chair of An Taisce, was to attend...but he cancelled at the last minute, and a young female volunteer was sent down alone to face the music. By all accounts, she was unable to actually explain why An Taisce settled, when it was clear that the Government had failed to implement the EU law with regard to development consents. The local community were essentially told that the case was not actually taken on behalf of them at all, and that An Taisce was never opposed to the Shell refinery. I get the feeling this isn't over yet...

This seems to be a pattern. Local issue goes national. Big NGO shows up and flexes muscles, "in the public interest". Lawsuit is taken, which locals rely on. Big NGO settles case, after getting concessions for the NGO, fees, expenses, publicity, and donations. Local community left in a worse position than before the NGO arrived....
    Last edited by Anti-Coalition; 21-11-2011 at 08:27 AM.

Well this project is now up and running, for what it is worth. Ireland gets the environmental impacts, and shareholders in Shell get the profits.

A good short summary here -

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/r...vice-1.2484722

Author is a Council of State member (very important role) - Higgins appointee ??

Also a Fulbright Scholar. Many dodgy predecessors, Bill Clinton included.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12