Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Halloween/Samhain

Default Re: Halloween/Samhain

Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    I agree, the tomb should never have been moved by Sean. The penalty to be payed can come in cycles of @ 9 years and over @ 30 years.

Such curses can chip away at you through life were misfortune, even death can occur to other family members coming as tragedy periodically [as per the cycles above]

Dependant upon which year you ''commit the offence'' between 9 year solar flares determines the first outcome. So for example, if Sean removed the Druid stones 2 years after a solar flare [9 year] his first misfortune would occur 7 years later.

Where contracts/deals with the underworld are reached you're ''**** on'' 30 lunar years later because that is the time difference between the underworld and ours in the instance you encounter/interact with them. The Demon has wisdom of your years ahead. An advantageous tool providing you know the ''timely fact.''

If Sean plundered without consent he unknowingly or was wreckless to the fact that these entities have their ways of catching up with you in the end and can ruin the fortunes of generations of the same family.

Something Spirited about the whole affair i've no doubt.
    A man who bought a neighbours field some years back recently flattened what was left of an old rath...he should be wary tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    A man who bought a neighbours field some years back recently flattened what was left of an old rath...he should be wary tonight...
    That would depend.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    That would depend.
    Pray tell

I'd be wary every night. Don't know much about raths/forts but i certainly would'nt go flattening one for any reason. Where guardian spirits/demons are linked they do their handy work as from the Autumnal equinox. Between then and Spring. Took me time to learn that one after my first encounter. I was waiting on it every night, afraid, for years after. It's purpose is to frighten you to death, heart attack usually. Certainly leave you disturbed for some time if you don't understand what it is or why it's on to you or your family.

If you sit and wait for it or go about expecting it to appear it wont. Not when it knows you are on to it. It prefers the element of surprise.

I can make one appear to others though. Want to see a Phantom black dog?
    Happiness is an inside job.

Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    Ok.
    Don't play with me Pluralist.

I'd be wary every night. Don't know much about raths/forts but i certainly would'nt go flattening one for any reason. Where guardian spirits/demons are linked they do their handy work as from the Autumnal equinox. Between then and Spring. Took me time to learn that one after my first encounter. I was waiting on it every night, afraid, for years after. It's purpose is to frighten you to death, heart attack usually. Certainly leave you disturbed for some time if you don't understand what it is or why it's on to you or your family.

If you sit and wait for it or go about expecting it to appear it wont. Not when it knows you are on to it. It prefers the element of surprise.

No doubt. The previous farmer who took a notion to knock some of it in the early nineties ended up becoming an isolated oddball prone to very erratic behaviour. Not meaning to be mean but the current man could be well prone to a heart attack given his stature.
    So you reckon not every fort may not have a supernatural connection?

So long as it doesn't bite!

Don't play with me Pluralist.
    I wasn't playing.

Be careful.

No doubt. The previous farmer who took a notion to knock some of it in the early nineties ended up becoming an isolated oddball prone to very erratic behaviour. Not meaning to be mean but the current man could be well prone to a heart attack given his stature.
    So you reckon not every fort may not have a supernatural connection?

So long as it doesn't bite!
    I'm not actually sure. I could tell you every detail about a select band who have their groves by water. A whole different set of demons associated including the phantom dog, a serpent, Trow, and odd looking, almost zig zag shaped fella who haunts darkened pools.

The Phantom dog is the one who's growl is defo worse than a bite. It can't physically bite. It's appearance is enough with it's red eyes and it can grow in stature.

Two ways i could make one appear to you. Firstly, send you an object i have taken from the grove. It will seek you out or at least the said object. If you were to keep it at home and share your home then any member of the household is likely to encounter the demon dog.

Secondly, i could take you to the grove with the intention of raiding the site. With that intention on your mind the dog will show itself.

Where a curse has been brought on someone usually over time you will notice the person change. Mood, with years of waisting their lives.

A druid would have to perform a ritual to protect any site. It involves the cutting of a dogs throat under a certain moon.

Hallow E'en seems to be taken over by Americanisms, especially all the trick or treat stuff.

65+ years ago, in the West, I can remember ducking in basins for apples, or trying to bite apples handing on a string.

I recall barmbracks with a ring, match etc

It is good to have some excitement for the kids which involves interaction with neighbours rather than the eternal omnipresent computer games and gadgets

I don't know where the bonfire tradition came from. Think it is confined to Dublin area. In the West each street, road or village used to have it's bonfire on St John's Eve ( 22nd or 23rd June} Those were community occasions. music, barbeques etc. A coal was taken home to start the fire at home for the next years.

Still going strong in parts of the West, altho no longer accepable to burn tyres etc.

It was a weekend for visiting family graves

And referring to posts upthread, few will knock a rath or anything that looks like an old fort.

In my youth fadó fadó certain places were said to be haunted. Rarely hear that nowadays
    Last edited by homer; 01-11-2015 at 09:54 PM.

I remember the ducking for apples, and the apples on a string. I had got them mixed up in my memory so thanks for clarifying, Homer. We had paper masks on an elastic band - no costumes.

My Mother, a wonderful cook who honoured all festivals with the traditional dishes, cooked bacon and colcannon with curly kale. The colcannon was piled up like a volcano with a hollow at the top for butter to melt and flow down like lava. Kale, which they grew, now amuses me as one of those fashionable superfoods. It was coarse, bitter and the poor relation of the other cabbages in the garden.

Apples were always the pudding as apple tart (nowadays called apple pie ) or the marvellous apple dumplings - Apples peeled and cored, filled with spices, dried fruit and brown sugar and then baked in pastry. Always served with Bird's custard. I don't think I have seen or made an apple dumpling in 30 years.

Barm brack was always home made, but was a whiskey teabrack like the recipe SimonJ posted here recently, and had the full range of surprises inside, wrapped in greaseproof paper. A ring, a coin, a pea or a bean, a stick and a rag. I notice that today children can only get the good news - the ring or the coin. Our surprises were made of sterner, and as it turns out, more prophetic stuff.

In my teens, in Dublin, my father insisted on a real coconut and pomegranates (then called wine-apples) bought from Moore Street as well as lots of fresh nuts.
    Last edited by Spectabilis; 01-11-2015 at 10:47 PM.

Has the barm brack with ring been banned out of the bakeries on Health an Safety grounds ?

Didn't see any about this year.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567