Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Halloween/Samhain

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Default Re: Halloween/Samhain

Quote Originally Posted by Griska View Post
    It's funny. When we were kids, we never said "trick or treat".
    We always said "help the halloween party".
    I wonder if it was an inner-city Dublin thing?
    Nobody I speak to now remembers saying that.
    I do remember that! I used to go out in Clondalkin with my friends and my parents used to tell us to say that"! Thanks for the memory ! God that is bringing back lots of memories! I do remember one lad when I was eight being dressed as a polar bear, as far as this lad was concerned it was the coolest costume in existence!
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Seems Halloween/Samhain is evoking memories for a few of you's. Same for me which will help with my true story of ''Death, a Leppers Ghost and the Boy.'' Tomorrow.

To help set the mood i'd like you's to post songs with mention of Ghosts and the likes.
    I'll start you's off with this one,....Thriller, Michael Jackson.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOnqjkJTMaA&ob=av3n"]Michael Jackson - Thriller - YouTube[/ame]
    Happiness is an inside job.

Quote Originally Posted by Griska View Post
    It's funny. When we were kids, we never said "trick or treat".
    We always said "help the halloween party".
    I wonder if it was an inner-city Dublin thing?
    Nobody I speak to now remembers saying that.
    I was unaware of the 'Trick or Treat' thing as a youngster, we called it 'Rappin' and I'm afraid householders were not afforded the option to contribute as we skipped directly to the prank.

Mind you, it would have been harmless enough beyond the undoubted annoyance of severe and prolonged banging of doors.

There was one particular neighbour who we tortured and it was pure sectarian I admit. He had a stairwell up to his door with railings on either side. We wound a ball of heavy string from the top of the railings to the bottom, criss-crossing the steps. The idea was to fire a home made banger (match heads in a nut between two bolts) at the wall of his house and when he predictably emerged in a chasing rage, he would be caught up in the web of string.

Worked fine until he came flying straight out the door, across the lawn, bypassing the trap and grabbed 2 of us who had to fight for our lives.

Next time we just gathered every milk bottle from the road and put them on his doorstep which worked altogether much better. That made it 1 all.
    http://ancruiskeenlawnmower.wordpress.com/

If dreams were lightning, thunder was desire, this whole place would have burned down, a long time ago.

Hands up anyone who will admit to ever being afraid of/in the Dark.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0N1yY937qg"]Iron maiden - fear of the dark - YouTube[/ame]

Hate the dark, cant watch scary films by myself either D

And Im a (supposedly) grown man of 29... !
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_-i1hwuSJQ"]Pink Floyd - 02 - Lucifer Sam - YouTube[/ame]

This evening, adults and children alike will join in a procession lead by white witches to a hill in Co Meath, where the Pagan festival of Samhain — that became modern-day Halloween — originated.

They will chant and light a fire as they recreate the ancient Celtic ritual whereby all the fires in Ireland were extinguished on Halloween and then relit from a single fire — on the Hill of Ward near Athboy.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...#ixzz1cMDFsZyN

I had some notion that it was Tara where this occurred - looks like Tara wasn't responsible for everything that moved/occurred then ...

Seem to recall some tale about St Patrick lighting the first fire and the Tara gang not being too happy about it - that one might be a bit factually incorrect so

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Well View Post
    This evening, adults and children alike will join in a procession lead by white witches to a hill in Co Meath, where the Pagan festival of Samhain — that became modern-day Halloween — originated.

They will chant and light a fire as they recreate the ancient Celtic ritual whereby all the fires in Ireland were extinguished on Halloween and then relit from a single fire — on the Hill of Ward near Athboy.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...#ixzz1cMDFsZyN

I had some notion that it was Tara where this occurred - looks like Tara wasn't responsible for everything that moved/occurred then ...

Seem to recall some tale about St Patrick lighting the first fire and the Tara gang not being too happy about it - that one might be a bit factually incorrect so
    That great public assembly on the Hill of Ward is known as ''aonach''
    It does'nt mention in your link but part of the ritual involves walking 3 times through fire embers and fires are never put out without prayer.

That trial by fire is known as The Gabha-Bheil.

St. Patricks challenge of the Druids occurred in AD 433 and at that time at the Fort of Kings on a mound to the Northern end known as ''The Mound of Hostages''.

At that time it was the chief Druid College.and the event heralded the start of the decline of that authority.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Good to see you getting into ''The Spirit'' of the occasion Cass.

Great intro to this song by that king of horror Vincent Price....
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsmcDLDw9iw&ob=av3n"]Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast - YouTube[/ame]

Was reading there in a book about folk tales and legends of Irish plants that if one crawls through the arch of a briar which has rooted at both ends, on Halloween night, then one can invoke evil spirits....think I'll be giving that idea a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    Was reading there in a book about folk tales and legends of Irish plants that if one crawls through the arch of a briar which has rooted at both ends, on Halloween night, then one can invoke evil spirits....think I'll be giving that idea a miss.
    You would probably need to indulge in a few evil spirits with coke before doing it

Interesting http://www.archaeology.org/online/in...ws/butler.html

Beyond costume parties and trick-or-treating, the origins of Halloween can be traced to the Celtic New Year. The Romans, the Christian Church and, ultimately, commercialized society revised and reinvented this holiday, but inside the modern traditions traces of Halloween's ancient past remain. Jenny Butler, a Ph.D. student of Béaloideas/Folklore at the University College Cork in Ireland, will be speaking about Pagan and Celtic traditions at the International Conference on Halloween, held at Glasgow Caledonian University on October 31. ARCHAEOLOGY asked Butler to explain the Celtic roots of Halloween and how relics of the past are understood today.

Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    That great public assembly on the Hill of Ward is known as ''aonach''
    It does'nt mention in your link but part of the ritual involves walking 3 times through fire embers and fires are never put out without prayer.

That trial by fire is known as The Gabha-Bheil.

St. Patricks challenge of the Druids occurred in AD 433 and at that time at the Fort of Kings on a mound to the Northern end known as ''The Mound of Hostages''.

At that time it was the chief Druid College.and the event heralded the start of the decline of that authority.
    Tks for that info Trow ...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0R_oDEvYUY"]Halloween! - Bobby Pickett - Monster Mash - (HD Stereo) - YouTube[/ame]

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast