Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The proportional representation voting thread - vote in order of your preference

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Default The proportional representation voting thread - vote in order of your preference

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...sentation.html

I cant get my head around proportional representation at the moment so perhaps someone can help me. Can you list you candidates in order of their preference and we get someone to tally it up at the end. Voting closes at 10pm tommorrow night!

In order of preference...

1. David Norris
    2. Michael D Higgins
    3. Martin Maguinness
    4. Mary Davis
    5. Dana
    6. Gay Mitchell
    7. Sean Gallagher
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Default Re: The proportional representation voting thread - vote in order of your preference

1 David Norris
    2 Michael D

Default Re: The proportional representation voting thread - vote in order of your preference

1. Gay Mitchell.
    2. Dana.

Here, what's this for, anyway?????
    "This isn't working,
    My middle-brow f**ker"

To see how a predicition based on proportional representation compares against the polls we have.
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    To see how a predicition based on proportional representation compares against the polls we have.
    I know, I was just kidding.
    "This isn't working,
    My middle-brow f**ker"

Quote Originally Posted by Griska View Post
    I know, I was just kidding.
    that was my bad for picking it up wrong !

that was my bad for picking it up wrong !
    Nay worries.
    I will be using one vote for Higgins.
    I won't like doing it, but I kind of feel I have to vote.

I will not be giving a transfer.
    "This isn't working,
    My middle-brow f**ker"

bump

OK; here's how I currently think I'll vote... will edit if I change my mind

1) Michael D.
    2) Martin McGuinness
    3) Gay Mitchell
    4) David Norris
    5) Dana
    6) Mary Davis
    7) Sean Gallagher
    Last edited by morticia; 26-10-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Today, for only the second time since 1938, a presidential election will ultimately be determined by the second, third and fourth preferences cast by voters. Our new president will by no means necessarily be the candidate favoured by the largest number of voters. Or, to put it another way: For only the second time in those 12 presidential elections will “plumpers” – voters who don’t vote down 2,3,4, beyond their No1 – potentially forgo the chance to determine who is and who is not elected. Every preference may count, and every opportunity declined to use a vote effectively, to vote through the list, may also tell in what promises to be a knife-edge election. Source - Paddy Smith IT

In 1990 transfers were crucial to the outcome. Mary Robinson was behind Brian Lenihan on the first count by 82,000 votes, only then to sweep past him on the second count to win by roughly the same margin when she garnered Austin Currie’s second preferences by a five-to-one margin.
    Seems to me the front runners are reported to be Higgins and Gallagher - so if I vote NO 1 to either of them my other preferences won't come into play until either one is either elected or eliminated .... have I got that right?

If I have that right then my preferences are:

1. Norris
    2. Higgins
    3 McGuinness
    4 Dana
    5 Davis
    6 Mitchell
    7 Gallagher

But I'm loath to express a preference for either Mitchell or Gallagher ... I'd much prefer to leave their boxes blank.

Advice please.
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    Seems to me the front runners are reported to be Higgins and Gallagher - so if I vote NO 1 to either of them my other preferences won't come into play until either one is either elected or eliminated .... have I got that right?
    Yes you have it right. This being the presidential election there's only one seat so at any time during the count your paper will either be with the remaining candidate you gave the highest preference to or it will be on the non transferable pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    If I have that right then my preferences are:

1. Norris
    2. Higgins
    3 McGuinness
    4 Dana
    5 Davis
    6 Mitchell
    7 Gallagher

But I'm loath to express a preference for either Mitchell or Gallagher ... I'd much prefer to leave their boxes blank.

Advice please.
    Leaving the Gallagher and Mitchell boxes blank would only make a difference if the final count was caused by the elimination of the last remaining candidate out of your first 5 preferences. In that case your paper would be marked non-transferable because it had no No.6.

Looking at the opinion polls it's unlikely that leaving both blank will have any practical effect since Mitchell will probably be eliminated well before the final count.

voted for 6 in order of choice. Left out McGuinness - too much violence in his CV

Can anyone give me a good explanation of PR !

Talking Re: The proportional representation voting thread - vote in order of your preference

Can anyone give me a good explanation of PR !
    There's an 'explanation' here .. but once I go to [ The Quota ] I got lost!
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Me too !

The quota
    When the papers have been counted and sorted, the quota is calculated by dividing the Total Valid Poll by one more than the number of seats to be filled, ignoring any remainder and then adding 1 vote. For example, in a Dáil election in a 4-seat constituency with 50,000 votes cast, 50,000 divided by 4 plus 1 (i.e., 5) = 10,000; 10,000 plus 1 is 10,001. This is the quota of votes to be reached by the candidates and it means that only 4 persons can be elected.
    Can anyone help!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast