MPD of Ecuador holds 17th National Convention
The seventeenth National Convention of the Popular Democratic Movement ( Movimiento Popular Democrático, MPD) of Ecuador was held on the first and second of October. Five thousand members from the 24 provinces of the country attended as well as delegates from the U.S., Canada, Spain and Italy as well as fraternal parties. Other Ecuadorian parties and organisations were represented including Pachakutik, Montecristi Live, Participation, Revolutionary Socialist Current, and CONAIE.
16 Panel discussions were held on topics such as the national and international political situation, the position of the MPD with regard to the government of Rafael Correa, the statement of principles, current tasks, natural resources, labor rights, education and health, etc. A new National Executive was elected.
The principal resolutions of the National Convention centered on:
1. Increasing popular opposition to the pro-imperialist, right-wing government of Correa.
2. Encouraging and strengthening the social and popular movements in defense of water and life, natural resources, sovereignty, and against the criminalization of social protest.
3. Developing the MPD ideologically, politically and organizationally as an alternative.
4. Building the unity of the Left.
5. Working in the favourable conditions of the general crisis of capitalism towards the goals of the New Nation and Socialism.
A time between ashes and roses is coming
When everything shall be extinguished
When everything shall begin