Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: What Should Be in the United Left Alliance Programme ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    64,476

    Default What Should Be in the United Left Alliance Programme ?

    There's a lot of discussion of the ULA at the moment, and one of the questions is what should be in the programme of the ULA. Some people are drafting documents to give to the Steering Committee.

    The content of the Programme clearly isn't going to be settled here, but it's a perfectly good place to discuss, propose and debate possible policies and aims for the ULA.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: What Should Be in the United Left Alliance Programme ?

    I'll help if they abandon Trotskyism ... otherwise it is a doomed project.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Out of my mind
    Posts
    9,757

    Default Re: What Should Be in the United Left Alliance Programme ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    it is a doomed project.
    While capitalism is in its death throes, resurrecting the rotten corpse of socialism cannot be the answer.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    11,984

    Default Re: What Should Be in the United Left Alliance Programme ?

    'Lets go and support the Occupy movement instead'.

    Thunderous fuppin' applause all round.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    773

    Default Re: What Should Be in the United Left Alliance Programme ?

    Let's have something popularly drafted and popularly ratified where the component parties' whips are ordered to stand down for the vote.
    "Fascinating, watching the world act as though it still had a financial system. Using the toilet, when the pipes are gone." - some guy on twitter

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    11,984

    Default Re: What Should Be in the United Left Alliance Programme ?

    And drop the insistence on revisiting Trotsky and Lenin's philosophical shopping lists. Goldman Sachs think Trotsky and Lenin are partners in the London office.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: What Should Be in the United Left Alliance Programme ?

    Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    While capitalism is in its death throes, resurrecting the rotten corpse of socialism cannot be the answer.
    You have another option Total? Please tell ...
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    64,476

    Default Re: What Should Be in the United Left Alliance Programme ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    I'll help if they abandon Trotskyism ... otherwise it is a doomed project.
    I'd suggest that you find out what Trotskyism is, before deciding on that. This would involve reading something written by Trotsky. You could try "In Defence of October" - it's only a short speech, but would give you a bit of an idea of his thinking.

    http://www.marxists.org/archive/trot...29/09/fi-b.htm

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: What Should Be in the United Left Alliance Programme ?

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    I'd suggest that you find out what Trotskyism is, before deciding on that. This would involve reading something written by Trotsky.


    You mean to tell me that the million and one sects he spawned all got it wrong? I've been exposed to their unfortunate literature for decades. Infiltrating, wrecking and splitting ... Trotskyism 101.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    64,476

    Default Re: What Should Be in the United Left Alliance Programme ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post


    You mean to tell me that the million and one sects he spawned all got it wrong? I've been exposed to their unfortunate literature for decades. Infiltrating, wrecking and splitting ... Trotskyism 101.
    But you've never read anything by Trotsky.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: What Should Be in the United Left Alliance Programme ?

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    But you've never read anything by Trotsky.

    As I've told you before. I've never read Mein Kampf but I know what a fascist is.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    64,476

    Default Re: What Should Be in the United Left Alliance Programme ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    As I've told you before. I've never read Mein Kampf but I know what a fascist is.
    Any chance of you posting on topic ?

    ( You might ask yourself btw, why it's so obvious that you haven't read any Trotsky. )
    Last edited by C. Flower; 17-10-2011 at 07:07 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    11,984

    Default Re: What Should Be in the United Left Alliance Programme ?

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    I'd suggest that you find out what Trotskyism is, before deciding on that. This would involve reading something written by Trotsky. You could try "In Defence of October" - it's only a short speech, but would give you a bit of an idea of his thinking.

    http://www.marxists.org/archive/trot...29/09/fi-b.htm
    I actually clicked on that link, skimmed down through it and came to the conclusion that the most useful function Trotsky ever performed was as an icepick stand in Mexico City.

    It is political poetry and very much of its era but I think trying to look at the world now through the eyes (sorry Leon, 'eye') of Trotsky and Lenin is as pointless as trying to define the world now through Henry Ford's eyes.

    The 'means of production' are more abstract now than in their day. There are no factory gates at which to pass out pamphlets in order to mobilise the proletariat. The bourgeoisie don't want revolution- they want to be left alone in the evenings to watch telly.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    64,476

    Default Re: What Should Be in the United Left Alliance Programme ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    I actually clicked on that link, skimmed down through it and came to the conclusion that the most useful function Trotsky ever performed was as an icepick stand in Mexico City.

    It is political poetry and very much of its era but I think trying to look at the world now through the eyes (sorry Leon, 'eye') of Trotsky and Lenin is as pointless as trying to define the world now through Henry Ford's eyes.

    The 'means of production' are more abstract now than in their day. There are no factory gates at which to pass out pamphlets in order to mobilise the proletariat. The bourgeoisie don't want revolution- they want to be left alone in the evenings to watch telly.
    Hasn't lost his ability to seriously annoy the forces of reaction so. However, the topic of the thread is possible ULA policies and programme and I would appreciate a return to topic.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 17-10-2011 at 07:02 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    64,476

    Default Re: What Should Be in the United Left Alliance Programme ?

    Quote Originally Posted by unspecific715 View Post
    Let's have something popularly drafted and popularly ratified where the component parties' whips are ordered to stand down for the vote.
    For example, should it be a party committed to socialism ? committed to the end of capitalism?

    Is there a need for a "transitional programme" of practical demands ? And if so, what should be in it ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us