Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Racism increase in Ireland

Default Re: Racism increase in Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    I don't think that it should be as it is the basis for a community and a shared identity. The way I look at things is that immigrants should be part of that community. In your hurry to smash nationality as a barrier, have you given any thought to what will replace it?

Regards...jmcc

I have. A world identity where people are identified by their personality traits rather than their physical attributes (skin colour, disability etc). It cannot be easily done but what is the harm in it? We wont live in a monocultural world, rather a world where books are not judged by their cover. Its utopia jmcc I know but its certaintly worth striving for. Striving for something while not achieving an idealist goal is certainly a lot better than the status quo. Lets screw up the current system and undermine the current negative ideas contributing to this unjust society.

-Smash the apartheid in Israel.
    -Ensure equality in Northern Ireland
    -Rights for the native tribes people in South America
    -Crushing the cast system in India

and so on and so forth....
    Cause I can’t change, I can’t change the world alone
    I need you all, everybody, start dreaming of it
    And take your step that’s gonna make a difference and change your world
    - Hotel FM

www.fluffybiscuits.org - Eccentric,Utopian and a tad mad

Quote Originally Posted by bormotello View Post
    Zionism have been established as movement against antisemitism in 19 century
    Don't think they gave a fiddlers elbow about anti-semitism come the mid 20th century. They seem to have craved it as it made more of a case for them to have a Jewish state of their own. Hitler supported the Zionists.

Zionism was supported by the German SS and Gestapo.[3] [4] [5] [6] Hitler himself personally supported Zionism.[7] [8] During the 1930's, in cooperation with the German authorities, Zionist groups organized a network of some 40 camps throughout Germany where prospective settlers were trained for their new lives in Palestine. As late as 1942 Zionists operated at least one of these officially authorized "Kibbutz" training camps[9] over which flew the blue and white banner which would one day be adopted as the national flag of "Israel".[10]
    http://www.jewsagainstzionism.com/an...azisupport.cfm

http://www.nascireland.org/

Lot of issues with our own social welfare. I know a lot of these incidents may be one offs but they dont make for great reading,. Read the "Person or Number" report on their website.
    - Hotel FM

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    Okay, I was thinking more of an example from a liberal-democracy with constitutional and super-national human and civil safeguards in place, which did not apply in Hitler's case.

Of course, his speeches did not, in and of themselves, cause any of those actions - it was the laws they passed and the weakness in the Weimar constitution that allowed that to happen.

One of the first things that the Nazis did when they got into power was to limit free-speech and further, it was restrictions on the voices of the left by the Weimar State, fearing a communist take-over, that prevented any kind of counter-speech taking place. The far-right, Hitler etc., were given a free run and counter-speech against him was difficult.

In the context of today's Ireland, shall we say, such voices as the Nazis are met with severe challenge, except of course when they are silenced by force, as in Trinity lately, and are then handed a moral victory against anti-racist voices.[/QUOTE]

They'd soon get tired of moral victories, if they were handed them regularly.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/05/10/its-a-reality/

Immigration Council of Ireland has reported on a few recent cases of racism

“An African woman was subjected to a physical and verbal assault in a public area while waiting for a friend. During the incident she was kicked in the stomach and subjected to racist taunts. A number of passers-by ignored the attack and walked on before one member of the public came to her aid. The woman has suffered a fractured finger and stomach pains as a result of the attack.”

“Two Muslim women have reported that they were refused a request to be seen by a woman official when requested by a State agency to remove traditional head-dresses for identification purposes. They were left with no alternative but to remove the head-dresses in front of a man. Both women say they have suffered depression and insomnia as a result.”

“A South American soccer player in an amateur game was subjected to verbal abuse ‘Get the ****** out of my country’ and ‘you yellow f**ker’. It is reported the referee did not act on the abuse. The Immigrant Council is initiating contact with the FAI on the incident.”
    - Hotel FM

The Journal is a mine of info today...

Increase in negative attitudes to immgrants

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-attit...66425-Jun2013/

ESRI poll found rise in negative attitudes to immigrants and their contribution to society...

http://www.thejournal.ie/racism-rise...66788-Jun2013/

Racism groups fear increase in racism are meeting the government.

As austerity increases and puts more people into poverty, racism is going to increase as a crime....
    - Hotel FM

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/07/02/...-is-different/

More racism on streets of Waterford this time

Video is NSFW....
    - Hotel FM

Another unpleasant story which seems to have been generally downplayed today. The security company boss spent 10 minutes with Audrey Carville on Drivetime today not explaining how it happened and repeatedly said that he wanted to talk to the women involved before he made any comment.
    One of the women, whose first name is Sajida, said they felt threatened and humiliated when the driver of a security van drew up and shouted that there was “no praying in the park” as they knelt in Griffith Park, Drumcondra, for one of the five daily calls to prayer that Muslims must observe.

Sajida, who moved to Ireland from Britain 17 years ago, said the women had “never experienced anything like it before”.

Sajida said she and her friend had picked a quiet spot but had barely begun praying when she heard a loud honking.

A Manguard Plus van — Manguard is contracted by Dublin City Council to provide an out-of-hours park warden service — drew up a few metres away and, Sajida claims, the driver shouted at them there was no praying in the park.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...ks-240664.html

http://www.thejournal.ie/halal-store...71599-Nov2013/

Halal foodshop ransacked and graffiti on walls...disgusting
    - Hotel FM

http://www.independent.ie/incoming/r...-29883320.html

In one incident, a poster was placed on a telephone pole in Tyrone to tell landlords not to lease their properties to foreign nationals.

“Attention landlords: Leasing property to foreign nationals will not be tolerated,” the poster read.

A Limerick advertiser on Donedeal.ie, whose ad for a car has now been removed, warned that he won’t sell his car to ‘foreigners’
    The ad was picked up on by the Broadsheet this morning

- Hotel FM

Very serious racist attack on a 19 year old Chechnyan refugee by men off their heads and pretending to be Gardaí - they left him for dead.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

What is a thick Anglo-Irish accent?? Not sure the UK Mirror has all its facts correct in this report. Would like to know why the Indo and IT weren't reporting on this too; it seems serious enough for widespread attention. As for increases in racism, unfortunately we can lay much of the blame for this on austerity. Along with much else. It will take the election of Marine Le Pen to make the Germans alter course economically, though...maybe even that wouldn't be enough.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0321/603...combat-racism/

The Immigrant Council of Ireland has called for a national action plan to combat racism on International Day Against Racism.

Since 1 January, 58 instances of racist incidents have been reported to the Immigrant Council of Ireland, compared to 20 cases in the same period last year.

This comes on top of an 85% increase of cases reported to the council last year, compared to 2012.
    - Hotel FM

It's really not so long ago, and the terms are very familiar:

Crowds of miserable Irish darken all our towns. The wild Milesian features, looking false ingenuity, restlessness, unreason, misery and mockery, salute you on all highways and byways. The English coachman, as he whirls past, lashes the Milesian with his whip, curses him with his tongue; the Milesian is holding out his hat to beg. He is the sorest evil this country has to strive with. In his rags and laughing savagery, he is there to undertake all work that can be done by mere strength of hand and back; for wages that will purchase him potatoes. He needs only salt for condiment; he lodges to his mind in any pighutch or doghutch, roosts in outhouses; and wears a suit of tatters, the getting off and on of which is said to be a difficult operation, transacted only in festivals and the hightides of the calendar. The Saxon man if he cannot work on these terms, finds no work. He too may be ignorant; but he has not sunk from decent manhood to squalid apehood: he cannot continue there. American forests lie untitled across the ocean; the uncivilised Irishman, not by his strength but by the opposite of strength, drives out the Saxon native, takes possession in his room. There abides he, in his squalor and unreason, in his falsity and drunken violence, as the ready-made nucleus of degradation and disorder. . . . The time has come when the Irish population must either be improved a little, or else exterminated.
    Thomas Carlyle: Chartism (1840)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifesty...sm-263274.html

New online reporting system for racist incidents. Incidents can be logged via the website and forwarded on.....
    - Hotel FM

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast