Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: Prime Time - Jail Time for Tiny Crime

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,339

    Default Prime Time - Jail Time for Tiny Crime

    Prime Time tonight is starting off with the Presidential campaign - focused on the nomination process.

    It will be moving on to cover the numbers of people in Ireland who go to jail for non-payment of fines, for trivial offences.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    217

    Default Re: Prime Time - Jail Time for Tiny Crime

    way off topic but does anyone know the name of the radiohead track they used on the intro to the imprisonment for non payment of fines section?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,339

    Default Re: Prime Time - Jail Time for Tiny Crime

    Half the people in jail are there for not paying fines, according to Prime Time.

    A typical fine for no insurance or motor tax is €1,000 euro, which must be paid in a single lump. There is no provision for paying fines in instalments. There have been new provisions for installment payments since a new Act in 2010, but there is no money to change the computer system. The cost would be 400,000 euro. But these days a lot of people simply don't have the money to pay fines.

    The police are now getting upset that people are deliberately not paying, as if they go to jail fine defaulters are often only in for a few days.

    More than 6,000 people are in jail (each year?) for non-payment of fines.
    Women are taken from their children to jail, very old people and people suffering from psychiatric conditions are jailed for non-payment, according to John Lonergan, with no advance notice.

    Community Service orders are an option, but the Court Service doesn't want fine defaulters to be taking up these places.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Out of my mind
    Posts
    12,113

    Default Re: Prime Time - Jail Time for Tiny Crime

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    But these days a lot of people simply don't have the money to pay fines.
    Sorry to spoil your party here, but usually they're fined for a reason. They don't go to jail for not paying the fine but for not accepting the punishment for a previous offense.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,339

    Default Re: Prime Time - Jail Time for Tiny Crime

    Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    Sorry to spoil your party here, but usually they're fined for a reason. They don't go to jail for not paying the fine but for not accepting the punishment for a previous offense.
    ??

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,339

    Default Re: Prime Time - Jail Time for Tiny Crime

    Quote Originally Posted by Skrimshander View Post
    way off topic but does anyone know the name of the radiohead track they used on the intro to the imprisonment for non payment of fines section?
    You are way off topic. Was that Radiohead ?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Out of my mind
    Posts
    12,113

    Default Re: Prime Time - Jail Time for Tiny Crime

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    ??
    If you don't want to do the time, don't do the crime.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...
    Posts
    13,555

    Default Re: Prime Time - Jail Time for Tiny Crime

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Half the people in jail are there for not paying fines, according to Prime Time.

    A typical fine for no insurance or motor tax is €1,000 euro, which must be paid in a single lump. There is no provision for paying fines in instalments. There have been new provisions for installment payments since a new Act in 2010, but there is no money to change the computer system. The cost would be 400,000 euro. But these days a lot of people simply don't have the money to pay fines.

    The police are now getting upset that people are deliberately not paying, as if they go to jail fine defaulters are often only in for a few days.

    More than 6,000 people are in jail (each year?) for non-payment of fines.
    Women are taken from their children to jail, very old people and people suffering from psychiatric conditions are jailed for non-payment, according to John Lonergan, with no advance notice.

    Community Service orders are an option, but the Court Service doesn't want fine defaulters to be taking up these places.

    Im with you on this one. The government here is on a no brainer with this one, the cost of keeping someone on food, light and heat compared with making them pay the fine is more of a financial burden. Plus going into jail for not paying TV license or something like that while those who raped the country of its finances get to waltz about as if nothing has happened? Its all completely disproportionate and doenst make an ounce of sense to me. In regards to community service, I know a probation officer who says a lot of them dont turn up for service and so get warrants out on them.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...
    Posts
    13,555

    Default Re: Prime Time - Jail Time for Tiny Crime

    Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    If you don't want to do the time, don't do the crime.
    But the cost implications are crazy, how much does it cost to keep someone in jail?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Out of my mind
    Posts
    12,113

    Default Re: Prime Time - Jail Time for Tiny Crime

    Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    But the cost implications are crazy, how much does it cost to keep someone in jail?
    About 6,000 Euro per month, but what's that got to do with it? Do you know how much it costs to educate children?
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,339

    Default Re: Prime Time - Jail Time for Tiny Crime

    Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    If you don't want to do the time, don't do the crime.
    Well, it seem pretty clear that the State doesn't intend or want them to go to jail, but is too chaotic to provide any alternative.

    Current legislation provides for ability to pay to be taken into consideration when fines are imposed. But there is a backlog of 30,000 + warrants out for people who were fined under the old system.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Out of my mind
    Posts
    12,113

    Default Re: Prime Time - Jail Time for Tiny Crime

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Well, it seem pretty clear that the State doesn't intend or want them to go to jail, but is too chaotic to provide any alternative.

    Current legislation provides for ability to pay to be taken into consideration when fines are imposed. But there is a backlog of 30,000 + warrants out for people who were fined under the old system.
    So what you're suggesting? Sorry, jails are full or the costs for keeping them in jail exceeds the fine, let them off the hook then?
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,339

    Default Re: Prime Time - Jail Time for Tiny Crime

    Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    So what you're suggesting? Sorry, jails are full or the costs for keeping them in jail exceeds the fine, let them off the hook then?
    Put a completely different set of people in jail.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Out of my mind
    Posts
    12,113

    Default Re: Prime Time - Jail Time for Tiny Crime

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Put a completely different set of people in jail.
    Love to.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...
    Posts
    13,555

    Default Re: Prime Time - Jail Time for Tiny Crime

    Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    About 6,000 Euro per month, but what's that got to do with it? Do you know how much it costs to educate children?
    The state is clocking up six thousand quid a month to keep someone in jail over a fine of a grand or two? It doesnt make any financial sense!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us