Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: The Most Expensive House in Ireland and Other Extreme Follies

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,641

    Default The Most Expensive House in Ireland and Other Extreme Follies

    This rather boring Edwardian pile sold in the boom for €58 MILLION. It is now on the market for €15 million. I would say it would be overpriced at 3 million, even given a couple of back garden planning permissions.

    The boom in Ireland, from 2004 to 2008, saw some crazy prices paid for property. This was fuelled by big construction profits from the early 2000s, low interest rates and the delusion that the boom would never end (or that each person would be clever enough to get out before the market collapsed).



    http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/i...ord?CMP=twt_gu

    Whoever sold this, got themselves a nice deal. If the purchase was funded by a bank loan, the bankers concerned surely have a few questions to answer?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    22,431

    Default Re: The Most Expensive House in Ireland and Other Extreme Follies

    There were rumours that the owner is Sean Dunne. If so, its us lot than own it now so we should be hoping for a good price.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,641

    Default Re: The Most Expensive House in Ireland and Other Extreme Follies

    Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe McGillycuddy View Post
    There were rumours that the owner is Sean Dunne. If so, its us lot than own it now so we should be hoping for a good price.
    Or, according to the Grauniad, Gayle Killilea, his wife.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,044

    Default Re: The Most Expensive House in Ireland and Other Extreme Follies

    Hope they bought it for 56million.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    22,431

    Default Re: The Most Expensive House in Ireland and Other Extreme Follies

    Guided tour of the house here by Frank McDonald of the Irish Times. He's discussing it on Today FM with Matt Cooper at the moment.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgf_z99m5Ko#video

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,333

    Default Re: The Most Expensive House in Ireland and Other Extreme Follies

    It is depressing. The house of course, but I mean the shocking blind greed.

    The other story that made me feel depressed, well disgusted to be honest, was the plans to auction the art collection of another burden on the parish of Nama which included a Warhol depicting, yeah you've guessed it, a dollar sign. Warhol is tacky and a dollar sign by Warhol just repulsive. Estimate is around half a million US - dollars of course.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15,318

    Default Re: The Most Expensive House in Ireland and Other Extreme Follies

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectabilis View Post
    It is depressing. The house of course, but I mean the shocking blind greed.

    The other story that made me feel depressed, well disgusted to be honest, was the plans to auction the art collection of another burden on the parish of Nama which included a Warhol depicting, yeah you've guessed it, a dollar sign. Warhol is tacky and a dollar sign by Warhol just repulsive. Estimate is around half a million US - dollars of course.
    Oh good. I thought I was the only one.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,333

    Default Re: The Most Expensive House in Ireland and Other Extreme Follies

    There, we are bonded by good taste Baron

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6,109

    Default Re: The Most Expensive House in Ireland and Other Extreme Follies

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    This rather boring Edwardian pile sold in the boom for €58 MILLION. It is now on the market for €15 million. I would say it would be overpriced at 3 million, even given a couple of back garden planning permissions.

    The boom in Ireland, from 2004 to 2008, saw some crazy prices paid for property. This was fuelled by big construction profits from the early 2000s, low interest rates and the delusion that the boom would never end (or that each person would be clever enough to get out before the market collapsed).



    http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/i...ord?CMP=twt_gu

    Whoever sold this, got themselves a nice deal. If the purchase was funded by a bank loan, the bankers concerned surely have a few questions to answer?
    A lot of work to be done inside the house:



    Very grubby looking for €15 million ... never mind €58 million!

    Friends of mine were bragging in 2006 that their house was valued at €1.2 million - latest valuation is €375,000! As a result they're feeling that they've been cheated out of €825,000 by the banks!

    They NEVER had €1.2 million to begin with! Delusion still reigns
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,044

    Default Re: The Most Expensive House in Ireland and Other Extreme Follies

    I think this is the most expensive house in the state's history. Due to extreme folly.

    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,333

    Default Re: The Most Expensive House in Ireland and Other Extreme Follies

    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1004/nama-business.html

    This tasteful little homestead, ‘the most expensive house in the world’ was built with money (£60 million) borrowed from Irish Nationwide.
    Nama appointed receivers to it in August.

    It has a heated marble driveway, for those of you with a taste for the lifestyle of the oligarch, and heaven knows after the last two winters……

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,641

    Default Re: The Most Expensive House in Ireland and Other Extreme Follies

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectabilis View Post
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1004/nama-business.html

    This tasteful little homestead, ‘the most expensive house in the world’ was built with money (£60 million) borrowed from Irish Nationwide.
    Nama appointed receivers to it in August.

    It has a heated marble driveway, for those of you with a taste for the lifestyle of the oligarch, and heaven knows after the last two winters……
    Not to worry, the Government is bringing in legislation to provide for debt write offs for rich people who made big gambles on property.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    617

    Default Re: The Most Expensive House in Ireland and Other Extreme Follies

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectabilis View Post
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1004/nama-business.html

    This tasteful little homestead, ‘the most expensive house in the world’ was built with money (£60 million) borrowed from Irish Nationwide.
    Nama appointed receivers to it in August.

    It has a heated marble driveway, for those of you with a taste for the lifestyle of the oligarch, and heaven knows after the last two winters……
    I assumed at first that this must be a hotel, (otherwise why would one need 5 swimming pools), but you say homestead, or are you being sarcastic Spec, heated driveway??? to melt the snow perhaps?? Only reason I can think of to have one. The mind just boggles at such unnecessary overspending, when people in the world are dying of hunger, never ever ceases to amaze me .

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,823

    Default Re: The Most Expensive House in Ireland and Other Extreme Follies

    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us