Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Children's Politics, Education and Costs Thread

Default Re: The Children's Politics, Education and Costs Thread

School books time again, and people are saying they are being made to buy new books because a few words have changed in text books.

Would someone be able to say whether or not teachers are given inducements to support this rip off system ?

I doubt it, but I wonder if the schools are? My older 2 kids are still in the first half of primary school and most of the books are workbooks, so despite the fact that most of the books remain the same, I am unable to hand them between kids. I can understand the attraction from the teacher's POV, though, trying to get 30+ 6-7 year olds to manage a book and several sheets of paper would be much harder.

The school gets bulk discounts for ordering the school books en masse from one shop, the savings go to the school, I think, fund the central heating etc!

I wonder if similar deals exist with the publishers? If so, I guess the problem lies most simply with the government in that they are failing to adequately fund the school system.

For me, the major irritant is the uniforms; 25 euros plus per piece, and you need a monogrammed sweater AND sports sweater, plus for girls, the skirt is distinctive, and the polo shirts are not a colour Dunnes and Penneys stock, plus they need 2 of each because they come home covered in muck most days. And to cap it all, the wool sweaters and the leggings have a horrible habit of becoming a bit "holier than thou" fairly rapidly.

And then the kids leave a trail of clothing, books and belongings behind and you have to shell out for replacements. Admittedly, I can't blame this last on the Government😝👿
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves "

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...298059002.html

This is the way forward, bring in the Android tablets that cost around a €100 each or less (if bought from abroad) and make the books all PDF format. Stop all this unfiorm nonsense and enable parents to go to Pennys,Tescos or Dunnes to get the stuff instead of shelling out a fortune on expensive gear.

The tablet computers should also be used in the courts, have you seen how much paperwork goes into a case?
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

It's that time again. I see that a supermarket is advertising "teflon coated" school uniforms. Some kind of a joke ?

Any suggestions on how to do back to school on a tiny budget ?

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    It's that time again. I see that a supermarket is advertising "teflon coated" school uniforms. Some kind of a joke ?

Any suggestions on how to do back to school on a tiny budget ?
    Tescos all the way for the school gear and parents should ask the school not to do the crested jumpers and all that crap.
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Another loaded missile from the school gates. We got the polite request for the voluntary donation again yesterday, this time they're panicking. Apparently only 46% odd of the parents coughed up last year and their grant was cut by over 11grand. Since the school is located in one of the 5-10 odd Dublin neighbourhoods associated with lots of wonga, this truly is a raving indictment of what 5 years of recession is doing to people with mortgages and kids.

And as for the government, leaving the heating bills to be paid by a voluntary donation is a complete indictment of the system. And if it's this bad here..... Mind you, I guess half the kids around here are still attending private school so perhaps it's not as bad as I think, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by morticia View Post
    Another loaded missile from the school gates. We got the polite request for the voluntary donation again yesterday, this time they're panicking. Apparently only 46% odd of the parents coughed up last year and their grant was cut by over 11grand. Since the school is located in one of the 5-10 odd Dublin neighbourhoods associated with lots of wonga, this truly is a raving indictment of what 5 years of recession is doing to people with mortgages and kids.

And as for the government, leaving the heating bills to be paid by a voluntary donation is a complete indictment of the system. And if it's this bad here..... Mind you, I guess half the kids around here are still attending private school so perhaps it's not as bad as I think, but still.
    Just to give you a perspective from the other side of Europe. School started here 3 weeks ago. The weather has changed and it feels a bit like Ireland in the summer. Water everywhere and a cool 16C only.
    No heating in the school. Heating oil is simply unavailable, not just to the school, to everybody. Schoolbooks have not arrived, no money. Copies, pencils, anything else the kids need, not arrived. No money. Parents have no money either. Teacher has not been paid for over 18 months now. There is not even chalk for teacher to write on the blackboard. No funding...
    So, what does teacher do? Shelves the non existent books and copies, and re-invents herself as a full time (unpaid) child minder for the kids while the parents try to earn a living. Around 11 am, when the rains have passed, the kids swarm onto the beach and do a daily clean-up. Single line, they walk the beach and pick up all rubbish, drift wood, you name it. Cleanest beach in the world! They play games involving basic maths (we are talking 5 -8 year old children), word games, anything teacher can dream up. She does make a point of doing this outside of the school building, so kids don't perceive it as "school". They do 1 hour a day "laughter yoga". Proud to say I introduced that to them. They just love it.
    Kids are taken to the food kitchens (which have now moved into the 4 churches around the place) and are shown how this works and why. They help out for a while, doing simple things. Lots of conversations between them, including admissions that they get food from the kitchen because the parents have no money. Sometimes they get homework, as in, they are asked, if they can, to make a drawing about what they did/experienced during the day, or if they have the gear, write a story about their day, experiences etc. Best education, happiest kids ever. And free! As teacher said to me the other day, to hell with the system.
    These kids are the future of this country, we better take good care of them. With or without money.
    Hats of to Filia, she has the right attitude. And indeed, to hell with the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ephilant View Post
    Just to give you a perspective from the other side of Europe. School started here 3 weeks ago. The weather has changed and it feels a bit like Ireland in the summer. Water everywhere and a cool 16C only.
    No heating in the school. Heating oil is simply unavailable, not just to the school, to everybody. Schoolbooks have not arrived, no money. Copies, pencils, anything else the kids need, not arrived. No money. Parents have no money either. Teacher has not been paid for over 18 months now. There is not even chalk for teacher to write on the blackboard. No funding...
    So, what does teacher do? Shelves the non existent books and copies, and re-invents herself as a full time (unpaid) child minder for the kids while the parents try to earn a living. Around 11 am, when the rains have passed, the kids swarm onto the beach and do a daily clean-up. Single line, they walk the beach and pick up all rubbish, drift wood, you name it. Cleanest beach in the world! They play games involving basic maths (we are talking 5 -8 year old children), word games, anything teacher can dream up. She does make a point of doing this outside of the school building, so kids don't perceive it as "school". They do 1 hour a day "laughter yoga". Proud to say I introduced that to them. They just love it.
    Kids are taken to the food kitchens (which have now moved into the 4 churches around the place) and are shown how this works and why. They help out for a while, doing simple things. Lots of conversations between them, including admissions that they get food from the kitchen because the parents have no money. Sometimes they get homework, as in, they are asked, if they can, to make a drawing about what they did/experienced during the day, or if they have the gear, write a story about their day, experiences etc. Best education, happiest kids ever. And free! As teacher said to me the other day, to hell with the system.

Hats of to Filia, she has the right attitude. And indeed, to hell with the system.
    Fair play to the teachers

Well, that does put it into perspective, doesn't it? Come to think of it, I don't recall being all that warm in 1970s Irish primary school, and the loos were cesspits of Hell, so actually.... Funnily enough, my conscience got the better of me so I wrote them a cheque from (rapidly diminishing) reserves; the moolah had been siphoned from ye account the day after. In previous years, it's taken them a month to lodge cheques...
    On a happier note, they broke up for half term today so it was dress up day... Teachers got up as Cruella de Vil, the cowgirl from Toy Story, and Catwoman, to name a few. Best cozzy awards go to some of the son's pals... An undead footballer, twin clones of Vivyan from the Young Ones, and a cereal killer with stabbed mini-boxes of Cornflakes attached to the gore stained T shirt.😃👽😱👍

Aauughh, back to the underfunded primary schools issue. Another letter from the school today, saying that only 35% of the parents have coughed up the voluntary contribution to date and they don't yet have enough wonga in the account to pay all "ancillary" staff next year... Haven't received the government grant yet, apparently. All this bleating about maintaining a world class education system and no will to fund education in the slightest.

No idea what's happening at secondary level, but the universities aren't in a good way; little money to repair or upgrade research equipment, few new staff, tons of new students.

Surely, since kids are the future, they should be the last to be cut, not the first. But, they don't vote...

Aauughh, back to the underfunded primary schools issue. Another letter from the school today, saying that only 35% of the parents have coughed up the voluntary contribution to date and they don't yet have enough wonga in the account to pay all "ancillary" staff next year... Haven't received the government grant yet, apparently. All this bleating about maintaining a world class education system and no will to fund education in the slightest.

No idea what's happening at secondary level, but the universities aren't in a good way; little money to repair or upgrade research equipment, few new staff, tons of new students.

Surely, since kids are the future, they should be the last to be cut, not the first. But, they don't vote...
    Sign of the times.

Tonight's news reported that the excellent Ballyfermot IT is losing 10% of its teaching staff.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

the parents have coughed up the voluntary contribution
    Not as voluntary as it would seem so...

4 out of 5 schools here have no heating, and will not get any this winter. In the North of the country, temp. has dropped below freezing, and a good bit of snow has fallen. So far, 6 deaths due to cold...
    In an interview with the local newspaper, one mother said
    We have no fuel at home either. So we send them to school, it's cold there too, but at least the papas (priest) supplies them with a bowl of warm soup during the day. We can't do that, because we have no fuel...
    Local teacher, still not paid and now a regular in the food kitchen herself, talks a lot about how she sees her (unpaid) job evolve.
    Filia told me the other day that she now believes her job is to teach "life" to children, and she must do this with the parents involvement. The days of classrooms and fixed times for reading, writing etc. are over.
    The big mistake, she says, is that our systems have seperated education from Life. That needs redressing, and fast. As she hasn't been paid for so long, she doesn't feel she is under any obligation to follow "the rules" any longer, and she has redesigned the curriculum, with the knowlege and agreement of the parents. Revolution in Action, and very good to see it happening, despite the circumstances under which the change has been forced on the community.

This is terrible. Hats off to your teacher for trying to cope.... But this is going to send Greece back to the dark ages. Where is literacy going to be in 10 years if this keeps up??

I am so sick of the narrow focus on what can turn a profit right now, with no future planning.

This is terrible. Hats off to your teacher for trying to cope.... But this is going to send Greece back to the dark ages. Where is literacy going to be in 10 years if this keeps up??

I am so sick of the narrow focus on what can turn a profit right now, with no future planning.
    There have been schools around here out of heating oil.

At least in our grandparent's day, they had the pot bellied stoves and could stoke them with sticks.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    There have been schools around here out of heating oil.

At least in our grandparent's day, they had the pot bellied stoves and could stoke them with sticks.
    The parents at a local primary school near here pay a voluntary contribution and part of it goes to fund speech and drama. At the moment it looks like the oil bill is going to have to be paid and the speech and drama will be the casualty next year.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast