Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gay Rights Movement - News and Views

Default The Gay Rights Movement - News and Views

Was prompted to start this thread for a number of reasons and I hope some of you dont mind. Some of the issues I have come across on other sites and bile directed to the gay community means I hope we can discuss the issues on here without all the grief and the usual **** of "its not natural" and having Sodom and Gomorrah being quoted at. The other reason I was prompted to post this thread was a link a friend sent me on face book this morning of the news two gay men were hung for being homosexual in Iran

http://www.nl-aid.org/domain/human-r...ran-yesterday/

The Iranians try to pass homosexuality allegedly off as rape (I cant verify this). I have e mailed the Iranian embassy asking for clarification so will post any reply I recieve up. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

My apologies to admin and mods if this is in the wrong forum

Default Re: The Gay Rights Movement - News and Views

I think there is still a dislike just below the surface. It is as though some people think they could if they wanted to. I don't think any of us can change our sexuality and as long as its between consenting adults why should any of us want to change anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanriver View Post
    why should any of us want to change anyone else.
    For Jesus....even though he didn't actually say much on the subject.
    http://ancruiskeenlawnmower.wordpress.com/

If dreams were lightning, thunder was desire, this whole place would have burned down, a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    The other reason I was prompted to post this thread was a link a friend sent me on face book this morning of the news two gay men were hung for being homosexual in Iran

Well, that's just impossible it seems ...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_3RUwAJ_MI"]No gays in Iran, says Ahmadinejad - YouTube[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by 5intheface View Post
    For Jesus....even though he didn't actually say much on the subject.
    What have I said that is so controversial? An adults sexuality, so long as its within the law, is his or her own business. What is your actual opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    Was prompted to start this thread for a number of reasons and I hope some of you dont mind. Some of the issues I have come across on other sites and bile directed to the gay community means I hope we can discuss the issues on here without all the grief and the usual **** of "its not natural" and having Sodom and Gomorrah being quoted at. The other reason I was prompted to post this thread was a link a friend sent me on face book this morning of the news two gay men were hung for being homosexual in Iran

http://www.nl-aid.org/domain/human-r...ran-yesterday/

The Iranians try to pass homosexuality allegedly off as rape (I cant verify this). I have e mailed the Iranian embassy asking for clarification so will post any reply I recieve up. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

My apologies to admin and mods if this is in the wrong forum
    I think it's in the right forum.

It's about personal rights. I'm wondering why some societies are opposed to homosexuality and others not ?
    Last edited by C. Flower; 06-09-2011 at 05:04 PM.

What have I said that is so controversial? An adults sexuality, so long as its within the law, is his or her own business. What is your actual opinion?
    I was agreeing with you OMR, pointing up the absurdity of those who would deny someone their sexuality based on the 2000 year old ramblings of desert people and their interpretation of the teachings of someone who may or may not have existed.

If dreams were lightning, thunder was desire, this whole place would have burned down, a long time ago.

I was agreeing with you OMR, pointing up the absurdity of those who would deny someone their sexuality based on the 2000 year old ramblings of desert people and their interpretation of the teachings of someone who may or may not have existed.
    Sorry Five I think I'm getting old!

Sorry Five I think I'm getting old!
    He not busy bein' born is a busy dyin'.

I was agreeing with you OMR, pointing up the absurdity of those who would deny someone their sexuality based on the 2000 year old ramblings of desert people ...
    Reading the Seven Pillars of Wisdom I was quite taken aback by what the desert people in it got up to I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    Reading the Seven Pillars of Wisdom I was quite taken aback by what the desert people in it got up to I have to say.
    and that sand gets everywhere.

The Qur'an says

"If two men commit a lewd act, punish them both; if they repent and men their ways, leave them alone - God is always ready to accept repentance, He is full of mercy'

The text goes on however, to show the limits of mercy. 'Those who do evil out of ignorance and soon afterwards repent will be forgiven.' For those who continue to 'do evil' and only repent at the prospect of death or those who die defiant 'We have prepared a painful torment for these'

This seems to me to be very like Catholic teaching, as it is not the fact of being gay in orientation that is 'sinful' but of being actively gay.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    I'm wondering why some societies are opposed to homosexuality and others not ?
    There's a few scientific theories..... bear in mind they're theories.....

1) isolated societies tend to be more sexually liberal, across the board. Someone has suggested that because promiscuity (of all sorts) used to spread disease, chastity/monogamy was more enforced, the more strangers you were exposed to....possibly a societal mechanism to stop the spread of VD. This one's applicable to all orientations.

2) property rights tend to go hand in hand with breeding. Families of power and influence (especially in underpopulated societies) would have tried quite hard to push reproduction on ...well...pretty much everyone. Children used to be bartered as pawns (arranged marriages etc). Being exclusively gay might limit the number of kids you produce, and was probably therefore actively discouraged by those that were trying to ensure a large quantity of heirs and heiresses. Historically, people in less advantageous circumstances tended to pay lip service at least to the mores of the absolute monarch/ruler/Caesar/king/emperor/maharajah etc. I suspect a celibate priesthoods/monastic sects might have arisen as a means of limiting population while still ostensibly encouraging reproduction. And, of course, because females of this species have covert ovulation and property rights go down the male line, ya gotta lock up the women, or risk cuckoos in the nest. This probably spills over into a repression of all sorts of sexual activity, not just the heterosexual-outside-marriage

3) Needless to say, 2 probably not that relevant to modern Western society today. Unfortunately, thanks to Aids, 1 still is. Sigh. Nevertheless, anti-gay prejudice is probably largely a historical overhang.

4) biologically, no one has pinned down exactly the reasons behind being gay or straight. Theories range from the mother's immune system sometimes recognizing the Y of second and subsequent sons as foreign, to genetic links to certain genes, to the psychological..... if your parent of the opposite sex was difficult, etc. Nothing proven!!

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    I think it's in the right forum.

It's about personal rights. I'm wondering why some societies are opposed to homosexuality and others not ?
    I think Morticia gave some good views on the topic I have a few theories myself.

One reason why **** sex was seen as taboo was for hygiene reasons. If you are in the desset and are engaging in **** sex it can be very tricky for someone to wash themselves afterwards so hygiene was one of the reasons suggested for it .

In relation to a gay gene, there was an interesting article in the BBC News section a few months back

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/14479670

Same-sex pairs of monogamous birds are just as attached and faithful to each other as those paired with a member of the opposite sex.

The insight comes from a study of zebra finches - highly vocal, colourful birds that sing to their mates, a performance thought to strengthen the pair's bond.

Scientists found that same-sex pairs of finches sang to and preened each other just like heterosexual pairs.
    Interesting to note on my mothers side of the family where she has mainly sisters I have two gay cousins and a transgendered. One is fairly camp skinny lad, the other is a butch lesbian while my transgender cousin is female to male pre op. Im the normal run of the mill bear! On my fathers side which is mostly male there is none at all!

I think there is still a dislike just below the surface. It is as though some people think they could if they wanted to. I don't think any of us can change our sexuality and as long as its between consenting adults why should any of us want to change anyone else.
    True. As I always said we should just introduce gay marriage and be done with it! I often asked on other forums why someone should vote on a right they enjoy!

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast