Thread: Man-made "living mountain" proposal in the Netherlands

Default Man-made "living mountain" proposal in the Netherlands

This looks ambitious at best, but I am sure the Dutch could make it happen.

The Netherlands is to spend thirty years and as much as £270 billion building a fake mountain to help the famously flat country become a winter sport superpower.

The idea came from a Dutch sports journalist called Thijs Zonneveld, who suggested in a tongue-in-cheek article that a man-made mountain should be built to help overcome the lack of decent hills in his homeland.

"This plan is serious," insisted Zoneeveld. "All kinds of big companies have now stepped in, various municipalities and investors are interested."

The project is provisionally named "Die Berg Komt Er", or "The Mountain Comes", presumably in a reference to the phrase, "bring the mountain to Mohammed".

A working group has already been set up to look further at the feasibility of the project, which is projected to cost anywhere between £40bn and £270bn and take up to 30 years to build.

The basic plan is to construct a skeleton which would then be covered in organic material using technology which already exists to create a truly living mountain - one which, perhaps even more unbelievably, could be located on land or out at sea.

Even more surprising, perhaps, the hollow mountain could become a city in itself, with houses, shops, arenas and even roads and railways within.

And while the mountain will eventually be used for power production, housing and water supply, Zonneveld insists that it is the love of sport which will make it happen.
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/...article/66194/
    "The land Coillte Teo is now selling for development was given to them by the State in 1988 to ensure that our woodlands were run commercially, not to enable them to sell the family silver to service bank loans".
    - Friends of the Irish Environment, 28.04.2003

Default Re: Man-made "living mountain" proposal in the Netherlands

The Dutch live in a different, man-made world and see things differently to the rest of us. Without their engineering, most of the state would be under sea water.

presumably in a reference to the phrase, "bring the mountain to Mohammed".
    Dangerous reference.

Plenty man-made mountains in Germany, although of a different kind.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

They've invited Harney over to the conference I hear. I'd be very suspicious of their motives if I were her.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Dublin North-West - the leading constituency!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    They've invited Harney over to the conference I hear. I'd be very suspicious of their motives if I were her.
    Can we stop paying her bloated pension if she becomes a permanent engineering fixture in a foreign country?
    "We are hurtling back into a Soviet abyss, into an information vacuum that spells death from our own ignorance. All we have left is the internet, where information is still freely available. For the rest, if you want to go on working as a journalist, it's total servility to Putin. Otherwise, it can be death, the bullet, poison, or trial—whatever our special services, Putin's guard dogs, see fit"
    Murdered Russian journalist Anna Politkovskaya.

Wouldn't like to be paying the rates on Mount Harney. I think she has a part time job in Wicklow at the moment.

Progressive Democrat pilgrims shuffle along her to her peak in penance for their sins. Have to be careful though as the weather closes in on her very fast.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.