Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cork City Councillor calls for ban on burkas and hoodies

Default Cork City Councillor calls for ban on burkas and hoodies

COUNCILLORS in Cork city will be urged to support a motion calling on the Justice Minister to ban burkas and give gardaí the power to order youths to remove their hoodies.

The controversial motion, which will be debated in City Hall next month, is to be lodged by former lord mayor Joe O’Callaghan.

The Fine Gael councillor said burkas had been banned in France and Belgium and it was "high time" the Government here followed suit.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...#ixzz1VQopYgr0

More controversy from the Master of Council Co-options

http://electionsireland.org/candidate.cfm?ID=4499

Default Re: Cork City Councillor calls for ban on burkas and hoodies

Tactless and spectacularly ignorant.
    The link between "criminality" and hoodies is laughable (I'm wearing one as I type, and I haven't committed a crime for at least two weeks), but then to add burkas to this is beyond stupid.
    "This isn't working,
    My middle-brow f**ker"

This is Cllr Chris O'Leary's (SF) take on co-opted Cllr Joe ... the incident in question was discussed on Cork's 96fm some months back when Cllr Joe denied that it happened like that at all

Sinn Féin councillor Chris O’Leary has said Fine Gael should reprimand Cllr Joe O’Callaghan for his consistently abusive and at times threatening behaviour in the council chamber.

Cllr O’Leary said:

“Last I night indicated my wish to speak on an item on the council’s agenda, regarding the schedule of future meetings. When the Deputy Mayor, who was chairing the meeting, did not allow me speak, I got to my feet and insisted on my right to be heard.”

“Cllr Joe O’Callaghan, who was seated near me in the chamber, then began to shout at me in an abusive manner. He has displayed similar behaviour towards other councillors since his co-option to the chamber in March.”

“As I continued to insist on my right to speak, Cllr O’Callaghan then attempted to physically assault me but was prevented by other councillors.”

“Cllr O’Callaghan’s behaviour is disgraceful and has no place in a chamber whose members are democratically elected to represent the people of Cork. The Fine Gael party – which co-opted him into the council after his failure to get a mandate in the last local elections – should severely reprimand him and ensure such behaviour is not repeated

http://www.facebook.com/notes/elect-...06376979406407

“As I continued to insist on my right to speak, Cllr O’Callaghan then attempted to physically assault me but was prevented by other councillors.”
    Lovely.
    I wonder was Cllr O'Leary wearing a burka?
    Maybe that's what set Cllr O'C. off.
    "This isn't working,
    My middle-brow f**ker"

Interesting and varied political career Mr O'Callaghan has had

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe McGillycuddy View Post
    Interesting and varied political career Mr O'Callaghan has had
    I wonder is there a mistake at the end of that electionsireland entry ... should possibly show FG and not FF for co-opted Cllr Joe re the Seanad attempt

That jigged my memory re something else recently involving co-opted Cllr Joe ... and of course it's the co-option itself ... a real Lannigan's Ball effort is Joe I stepped out ... and then stepped in again ....diddly dee ...

A ROW flared last night after a man running for election to the Seanad was co-opted onto Cork City Council to fill a seat left vacant following the recent death of a popular Independent local politician.

Former Fine Gael Cllr Joe O’Callaghan, who lost his seat at the last local elections, was co-opted onto the council to fill the seat left vacant by the death just over two weeks ago of Independent councillor, Dave McCarthy.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...#ixzz1VR1x4lnz

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Well View Post
    I wonder is there a mistake at the end of that electionsireland entry ... should possibly show FG and not FF for co-opted Cllr Joe re the Seanad attempt

That jigged my memory re something else recently involving co-opted Cllr Joe ... and of course it's the co-option itself ... a real Lannigan's Ball effort is Joe I stepped out ... and then stepped in again ....diddly dee ...

A ROW flared last night after a man running for election to the Seanad was co-opted onto Cork City Council to fill a seat left vacant following the recent death of a popular Independent local politician.

Former Fine Gael Cllr Joe O’Callaghan, who lost his seat at the last local elections, was co-opted onto the council to fill the seat left vacant by the death just over two weeks ago of Independent councillor, Dave McCarthy.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...#ixzz1VR1x4lnz
    It sounds more plausible that it was FG alright. But he does appear to be a staunch and lifelong member of the Me Féin tendency

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe McGillycuddy View Post
    But he does appear to be a staunch and lifelong member of the Me Féin tendency
    A general traditional trait if one were inclined to be politically minded in Ireland

Guy has only been elected once with a vote of 368 votes in 12 years. They must have held the election in a monastery in the high Himalayas.

I look forward to seeing how his campaign to criminalise winter jogging gear and save Oireland develops.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

dont know anything about the man, but have to agree with ,ask the Gardai about the hubbies and joy riding and the old aged pensioners who have been mugged by persons with huddies

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Quote Originally Posted by culmore View Post
    dont know anything about the man, but have to agree with ,ask the Gardai about the hubbies and joy riding and the old aged pensioners who have been mugged by persons with huddies
    Im wearing a rain jacket with a hood on it and I never mugged anyone in my life mate! I think you are stereotyping there I do agree with removing the hoods in shops as it obscures CCTV but the young lads wearing them its just two fingers to society . If we didnt worry about them they wouldnt care less about wearing them I believe.

People Korps Guest

Quote Originally Posted by culmore View Post
    Culmore, the assailants most likely also wore shoes which aided their escape from the scene and pants (trousers if you like) to keep their legs warm and their private parts private.
    Are we to assume that you favour banning shoes and pants in order to aid the Gardai and the elderly?

People Korps Guest

In my sojourn in Brixton you were more likely to be mugged if you DID NOT wear a hoody. The Cllr should be getting pensioners to hoodie up, perhaps a free hoody for all the OAPs in Cork so they blend in with the Yoot?

I saw Gardai openly batonning students on national television for no reason other than they could which means they should be arrested for assault and possibly GBH. Should we ban Garda uniforms?
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

What good are these precious CCTV systems if people are allowed to cover their head?
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast