Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tymoshenko taken to jail

Default Re: Tymoshenko taken to jail

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    I have a suspicion the judiciary is not independent in the Ukraine.
    Which wouldn't be uniquely to Ukraine.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Slightly OT

Justice Minister Aleksandr Lavrinovich and his ministerial Mercedes GL 420

The black Merc limo (chassis # WDC1648281A522903) was stolen in Germany in January 2010.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/25/wo..._r=1&ref=world
    MOSCOW — Ukraine’s jailed former prime minister, Yulia V. Tymoshenko, declared a hunger strike on Tuesday after what she said was an assault by prison guards that left her black and blue.
    In a statement, Ms. Tymoshenko, 51, said the assault occurred on Friday after she refused to leave her prison cell for a medical checkup without first consulting with her lawyer.
    “They came to my bed, threw a sheet over me and started dragging me off the bed,” she said in the statement, which was published on her Web site. “I received a punch to the stomach, and they twisted my arms and legs and dragged me in the sheet out into the street.”
    The prosecutor general of the Kharkov region, where Ms. Tymoshenko is imprisoned, confirmed that guards had forcibly removed her from her cell, but said there was no evidence that she had been beaten.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/fabfb...#axzz1tBqYOl9K

The EU has claimed that they are concerned at her treatment and have asked for their medical experts and diplomats to go allow and see her. EU is also claiming and it might be quite legit, that the charges against her are politically motivated. Is Yanukovich trying to save face somehow with an investigation into her alleged beating? I mean its not as if the European Championships are around the corner is it ?...
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Dublin North-West - the leading constituency!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellga View Post
    Tymoshenko wasn't bad politician, although sometimes she carried out the populistic reforms and she avoided unpopular decisions. But Tymoshenko is more diplomatic and sensible in the foreign policy than Azarov (serving Prime minister) and she found the compromises both Russia and Europa.
    Anybody I spoke to in Odessa, Kiev and, especially, Dnepropetrovsk, where she is from, seems to intensely dislike her. This is surprisingly more pronounced among women. And a policewoman in Kharkov I spoke to really seemed to hate her. Is there any particular reason, Hellga, why she provokes such extreme reactions in people there?

I am curious because I am often in Ukraine on business and like it a lot (apart from the taxi drivers in Borispul!). I just found that, whenever I mentioned Timoshenko, nobody seemed to be neutral.

Reports today that she has been beaten in prison and that her health is deteriorating after a week on hunger strike.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/tym...ng-549423.html

There is an assumption on the part of the western media that Tymoshenko is illegally in jail. Or that she is a political prisoner of some sort. I would almost beoieve that if there was some popular outcry in the Ukraine protesting about her incarceration and treatment and miscarriage of justice. However, this seems to be completely absent in the Ukraine and the contempt many ordinary Ukrainians have for her is not a result of state propaganda or a love of the current regime.

It is odd, to say the least.

I think it's more to do with geo-politics, from the limited amount I understand Yanukovych favours a closer relationship with Russia over developing ties with 'the West' and this is a convenient stick to beat him with.
    Нооруз пиээ пурылыа выиттыа

'Our goal is to conquer state power for the Irish working class'
    Pat Rabitte, 1987

"Can I ask whether this is what the men of 1916 died for: a bailout from the German chancellor with a few shillings of sympathy from the British chancellor on the side?"
    Michael Noonan, November 2010

Quote Originally Posted by antiestablishmentarian View Post
    I think it's more to do with geo-politics, from the limited amount I understand Yanukovych favours a closer relationship with Russia over developing ties with 'the West' and this is a convenient stick to beat him with.
    There is that as a factor, but the corruption in Ukraine is quite extraordinary, even by Irish standards. Anybody from the countries whose football teams are playing there next month will be in for a few shocks. Especially if they use taxis to get around.

Tymoshenko cuts a sympathetic figure at present because she is pro-West. she was allegedly beaten in prison (beating is rightly viewed as a bad thing in civilised societies) and she is in urgent need of medical attention (she refuses to allow Ukrainian medics near her, probably remembering Victor Yushenko's medical problems).

However, she never explained how she became a billionaire in the 90s when the main industry of her home city, Dnepropetrovsk, was being privatised. That industry was the production of, among other stuff, Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles.

It is a strange case all round.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Buddha View Post
    There is that as a factor, but the corruption in Ukraine is quite extraordinary, even by Irish standards. Anybody from the countries whose football teams are playing there next month will be in for a few shocks. Especially if they use taxis to get around.

Tymoshenko cuts a sympathetic figure at present because she is pro-West. she was allegedly beaten in prison (beating is rightly viewed as a bad thing in civilised societies) and she is in urgent need of medical attention (she refuses to allow Ukrainian medics near her, probably remembering Victor Yushenko's medical problems).

However, she never explained how she became a billionaire in the 90s when the main industry of her home city, Dnepropetrovsk, was being privatised. That industry was the production of, among other stuff, Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles.

It is a strange case all round.

Well a lot of European politicians considering boycotting the Euros because of her treatment

http://www.rferl.org/content/euro_20.../24570012.html

Lets not forget that she was a big leader in the Orange revolution. The press do not seem to get to see her side of the story when compared to Yanukovych who appears to have some sort of control (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom...ess_in_Ukraine). This might lead people to not hear the full story in the Ukranain press....
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Spanish and Italian PM's have tonight both asked Ukranian Government to be allowed to visit Yulia Tymoshenko in prison.
    Thomas Jefferson : Banking Establishments are More Dangerous to our Liberties than Standing Armies.

Quote Originally Posted by ang View Post
    Spanish and Italian PM's have tonight both asked Ukranian Government to be allowed to visit Yulia Tymoshenko in prison.
    A good sign...

Jailed Official in Ukraine Gets Decision in Her Favor

The court ruled that Ms. Tymoshenko’s arrest midway through a 2011 trial on charges that she had abused her office while concluding a natural gas deal with Russia was illegal and politically motivated. It rejected a claim that conditions in prison were inhumane and degrading.

In Kiev, Ukraine’s capital, Ms. Tymoshenko’s daughter, Eugenia, told a news conference that the ruling was a “first ray of sunlight” for her imprisoned mother.
    “The European court has recognized my mom as a political prisoner, and now the authorities in Ukraine will no longer be able to deny this,” she said.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Reagardless sticking her in jail took her out of the limelight for a while. All of this adversely affected her ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...ally-motivated

"Razom nas bahato! Nas ne podolaty"

She is hardly an "official". She is the former Prime Minister, not some jobsworth functionary deep in the bowels of "the system".

What is not seemingly appreciated in the West is the personal relationships of some of the main characters in this whole drama. While Yanukovich is from East Ukraine, speaks only Russian (his attempts at speaking Ukrainian are for some Ukrainians the best comedy they get to see on TV) and is a bog-standard ex-Communist opportunist, he is disliked intensely by Vladimar Putin. Conversely, Putin likes the supposedly pro-West leaning Tymoshenko and offered Russian medical aid for her when her medical condition worsened last year. Not alone that, he did this so overtly that Yanukovich was very angry about it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast