Thread: Potato Recipes and looking for more!!

Default Potato Recipes and looking for more!!

With the Daddy in law's allotment coming to fruition in the next few weeks I am looking for recipes for the beautiful fresh vegetables he will produce. We have potatoes, cabbage, brocolli, brussel sprouts, turnips, onions, strawberries and radishes, so I'm looking for as many recipes for this produce as I can manage, I have a husband with type 2 diabetes, so I also have this in mind. I'm going to kick off with a recipe for Potatoes Lyonnaise and would appreciate any other recipes in return.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/pot...r/bl40322w.htm

Default Re: Potato Recipes and looking for more!!

Have a read of this. Great website. Great recipies (It is a bit US-centric and some ingredients will not be available in these parts)

http://www.whfoods.com/recipestoc.php
    Last edited by DCon; 15-07-2011 at 10:31 PM.
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    Have a read of this. Great website. Great recipies

http://www.whfoods.com/recipestoc.php
    30 minutes or less, I'm lovin it already DCon

My personal favourite is my own home made wedges.

Cut potatoes into chunks, boil until just soft enough for a knife to go through. Rinse, place in a bowl. Pour on olive oil, liberally, and seasoning (salt, pepper chilli, basil - whatever your preference) and bake for 25 minutes at 230 degrees.
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

My personal favourite is my own home made wedges.

Cut potatoes into chunks, boil until just soft enough for a knife to go through. Rinse, place in a bowl. Pour on olive oil, liberally, and seasoning (salt, pepper chilli, basil - whatever your preference) and bake for 25 minutes at 230 degrees.

Sounds delicious!! keep them coming DCon , i've found the one's that people see directly online without referring to link are the most popular and with prices the way they are we will surely find more home grown product. All the better nothing like it.

http://www.glaciervodka.com/
    Pototo Vodka.
    You can have all the recipes in the World but with those ingredients you'll be hard to be beat a big stew.
    A good pot should see you through 3 days as well.
    Go easy on the turnips. Unless you live alone and have a well ventillated abode.

Quote Originally Posted by truth.ie View Post
    Make your own!

Lizard's recipe for potato vodka.

1. Take a bunch of potatoes
    2. Cut 'em up and boil the hell out of 'em
    3. Cool down below 80C, then add malted grain/amylase to convert the starches to sugar
    4. Cool below 35C, add yeast, pour mixture into a 5-gal carboy and put airlock in place
    5. Let ferment ~5 days until bubbling stops and yeast drops to bottom
    6. Siphon off top 80% and add to still boiler
    7. Distill with sufficient reflux to produce product of >= 85% ABV (170 proof). (If using potstill, distill multiple times...at least 3X...until 170 proof reached).
    8. Toss out first 5% produced, and ~last 1/3 (this varies by taste)
    9. Cut w/ distilled water to taste

(Usually, lizard will get up to 50% of his sugar from sucrose...doesn't have a very big effect on taste, so long as it's at least half potato.)
    http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...#ixzz1SDhSYMoM

Just be careful not to blow yourself through the roof like the lads in London
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...dka-brewing.do
    EDIT: Actually it didnt' happen in London, it was Lincollnshire. And now that I think about it that a very fishy sounding story
    Friday, 5.30pm update: Police have said investigations will be continuing over the weekend.

Although no further information has been released about the identifications of the five dead or the man who was severely burned in the incident, officers will be continuing to look into the case over the weekend, in an attempt to discover more.

Friday, 2pm update: Police say they have identified three of the men from Wednesday’s explosion in Boston.

Five men were killed in the blast in Broadfield Lane Industrial Estate and a sixth received serious injuries.

Three of these men have now been identified as Lithuanians – aged 24, 26 and 32.

Police are not releasing names as families are still being informed.

A police spokesman also said officers were searching some of the other units on the site as their lines of enquiries continue.

Friday, 9.30am update: Mayor of Boston adds her sympathy to explosion victims.
    http://www.bostonstandard.co.uk:80/n...kend_1_2862080
    Last edited by PaddyJoe; 15-07-2011 at 11:46 PM.

Refried potatoes (from the day before or whatever, or make them fresh, whatever!) and cabbage with eggs, chopped rashers and spinach - Just, it's just, oooh, ahhh, feckin' lovely !

Hot wok, on highest heat the whole time. Fry in sesame oil if you have it or real butter if you don't.

Fry the bacon first, then throw in the eggs after the bacon looks like it's cooked enough. Fry for a few more minutes until the eggs set then throw in everything else.
    Mix it all up, chop up the eggs in the pan while frying, season with salt/pepper and if you've enough potatoes in there, smother with vinegar after serving.

Takes about ten minutes to fry it all up.

Can throw in some Tumeric to colour and help the digestion if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by jinnyjoe View Post
    Sounds delicious!! keep them coming DCon , i've found the one's that people see directly online without referring to link are the most popular and with prices the way they are we will surely find more home grown product. All the better nothing like it.
    Potato bakes are good. Cook your potatoes until they are half done. Get a nice casserole dish/oven-proof pan and butter or oil it, lay the potato in slices (about the thickness of sliced pan). In between the layers of potato, put whatever you have, and like, more or less. It could be fried onion, a little bit of fried pepper (not more than a few small slices as the taste is strong) small bits of chopped up left over ham, or bacon, and add salt and pepper. You can put a layer of baked beans in at the bottom if you want to add protein. Top it up with milk, and bake it in the oven until it is cooked through. Finish it off for the last ten minutes with butter dotted on top or grated cheese if you like and have an old bit at the back of the fridge to use up.

You could eat that, with peas or baked beans on the side, as a dinner, or use it on the side with some meat, or a fried egg.

If your husband is diabetic, potato might not be the best thing for him in large quantities as it converts to sugar very quickly. I'm not able to give proper advice on this, his dietician would. I think in general, avoiding white staple foods is a good, if unwelcome, rule for diabetics - eat brown rice and bread, rather than white, if possible. I am guessing that eating the skin is a good idea, with potatoes.

Oats are always good as they are slower to digest.

A great little blog I should visit more
    http://www.thedailyspud.com/

Won an award even

Wrap them in tinfoil, unpeeled, and throw them into the embers of your turf fire, when the winds howling against the window pane.
    Sit back with a pair of wooly socks up close to the heat, sup a few glasses of straight whiskey, turn off the lights, light a few candles, and put on your favourite sounds.
    Check by prodding with a fork, till they are softened. Serve hot on a newspaper
    ....Christ, I'm homesick.