Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: The road safety thread.

Default Re: The road safety thread.

coolaboola

What's going on here?

In Newcastle West district court this week, Judge Alan Mitchell dismissed a number of alleged speeding cases after operators of the Go Safe speed detection vans were unable to give him details of the contract between their employer and the Minister for Justice.

As each case was called, the judge asked the speed van operators if they had read or were aware of the contents of the agreement between their company and the Minister for Justice. When they were unable to provide this information to the court, the judge dismissed
the case.

This was just the latest in a number of instances in local courts where Go Safe prosecutions have been thrown out because they were deemed legally unsound.

In court last Friday, the judge made reference to emergency legislation was being drawn up to address some of these issues. However, he said the situation remained unclear.

“This still is an outstanding issue. Either they will allow you to see the agreement, which I presume they won’t, or else produce the agreement with the commercially sensitive information redacted,” he told a Go Safe operator who was in court.
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/lo...-law-1-6483380
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Roseanne Brennan is on her third night's sleep outside the Dail, with increasing support, to lobby for a 30 k speed limit in housing areas. At this lower speed, risk of death on impact is less than half the 50 k risk.

http://www.thejournal.ie/jake-brenna...43850-Feb2015/

Her son was killed outside his house last year.

At the moment, local authorities have the power to impose 30 k limits, but generally don't. When asked to change, the plead lack of money for new signs. It's pitiful, the amount is so small, a couple of hundred thousand euro per county.

Outside Ireland in Europe, 30 k would be the norm for housing estates.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

From 1972

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	973
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Luas crashes.

How long before people remember why trams were taken off the road last time around ?
    Penalty points introduced for crossing red lights on Luas lines. Can't see that that will be a cure-all.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irela...line-1.2237244

"In 2012, there were 22 incidents that involved the Luas and 18 of those were on the Red Line. 2013 has been worse - there have been 36 incidents and 32 of these were on the Red Line, and I have called attention to some of these in the past, particularly in relation to incidents along the Abbey Street area. I would be concerned that incidents like this will increase in the coming years as the new Luas link is built. I believe that the RPA and Veolia need to do more to make road users aware of their proximity to Luas lines and I think this can be done by the use of bollards and increased numbers of road signs.
    "I am also concerned that road users are not giving enough due care and attention around Luas lines and Luas trams. The reality is that roads where the Luas is operating are not like other parts of the road network, and while I know that the vast majority of road users are very careful, they need to exercise an even higher level of care in areas where the Luas is operating.
    "Drivers need to be aware that while it might make sense sometimes to go through an orange light, this is never a good idea when a Luas line is close at hand. You may need to stop suddenly, or else a Luas may have been given a signal to proceed given that your road signal is changing. It is far more sensible to take precautions and stop. Also, you should never stop on a Luas line if it can be helped, whether you are moving across the line, or whether you are travelling in the same direction.
    "Cyclists need to follow the same advice as drivers, but they also need to be aware there is a risk that their tyres can become trapped in the Luas rails, so they need to be very careful not to cycle on them, and should avoid cycling in Luas lanes altogether. Cyclists also need to be aware that they are simply not visible in darkness if they are not wearing high visibility clothing, and if their bicycle is not fitted with lights. (Seamus Kelly TD)
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

A huge number of the problems on Irish roads come from the fact that Irish drivers are very casual when it comes to following rules... It's pretty shocking. I am constantly a bit outraged by Irish driving... lol. And don't even start me on reversing into spaces or traffic signals next to roundabouts...

/grumbling

Shane Ross, the responsible Minister (?) is being interviewed on RTE news. He says that drink driving this winter is 34% up - "and I don't know why people haven't got the message".

There is extensive research which has shown that enforcement is the only significant factor affecting male driver behaviour. Traffic Garda numbers were halved in 2016.

Ross has wittered on for five minutes without mentioning it. Now when pressed he says "it is part of the jigsaw".

Numbers of Gardai in Road Safety enforcement has of course dropped right down - Ross "doesn't know" anything about this, although it was reported and discussed on RTE a couple of weeks back.

Is there any hope whatsoever that Government might carry out evidence-based measures -- i.e. in this case, enforcement - rather than throwing money around at random hopeless gimmicks ?

Meanwhile people carry on dying.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Agreed, just spent 15 days out and about, didn't see one checkpoint. I heard yesterday that unaccompanied learner drivers will be targeted. How? By whom? When? Where?

That awful accident near Kilworth in 2015 when a mother and daughter were drowned was caused by a learner, driving alone.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Penalty points introduced for crossing red lights on Luas lines. Can't see that that will be a cure-all.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irela...line-1.2237244
    there should be something done over cyclists goin through red lights!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dedogs View Post
    there should be something done over cyclists goin through red lights!!!!!
    Reckless behaviour by cyclists should certainly be cracked down upon also. But, a cyclist who crashes into a pedestrian is far less likely to kill them then a motor car.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    Reckless behaviour by cyclists should certainly be cracked down upon also. But, a cyclist who crashes into a pedestrian is far less likely to kill them then a motor car.
    fair enough mate but its themselves cyclists mostly kill doing stupid things....

I am not sure that Healy-Rae and co are entirely wrong about drink limits.

I would be sympathetic to allowing a slightly higher limit for some mature drivers living in isolated areas.

Such a concession would have to be hedged in with precautions against abuse, but it would still be worth doing.

Woman in critical condition after being struck by cyclist in Ranelagh

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsi...cid=spartanntp
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

surprisin that doesnt happen more ofen in fairness.... the cops ignore cyclists ridin on the paths and jumpin red lights the whole time!!!!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910