Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The road safety thread.

Default The road safety thread.

Road deaths so far in 2011 are down 9% on last year but deaths of cyclists and motor cyclists, two groups notorious for flouting the rules of the road, are up.

If we can achieve this with low enforcement of driving offences and almost no enforcement of vehicle standards just imagine what could be done if we made a bit of an effort.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking46.html

Default Re: The road safety thread.

On the subject of safety, did you see the adds for the 7UP "are you UP for a road trip" promotion. They are at some bus stops and show a couple driving along in an open topped car. The girl is standing waving her arms over her head as her %$%^& boyfriend speeds along as happy as Larry. I will try to get a picture tomorrow to show what I mean. Considering how impressionable some people are expect to see some idiots on the M50 imitating the add.
    NEW 7UP, SUGAR FREE, ADDITIVE FREE, AND NOW COP ON FREE.
    Its only a matter of time 'till aunty Joe gets a call about it.

Quote Originally Posted by eamo View Post
    On the subject of safety, did you see the adds for the 7UP "are you UP for a road trip" promotion. They are at some bus stops and show a couple driving along in an open topped car. The girl is standing waving her arms over her head as her %$%^& boyfriend speeds along as happy as Larry. I will try to get a picture tomorrow to show what I mean. Considering how impressionable some people are expect to see some idiots on the M50 imitating the add.
    NEW 7UP, SUGAR FREE, ADDITIVE FREE, AND NOW COP ON FREE.
    Its only a matter of time 'till aunty Joe gets a call about it.
    No point ringing Joe about road signs. He only gets stroppy when the authorities demand that illegal signs are taken down.

And you're only trying to run a business, is that right Ignatius? And the NRA is making you take down your illegal sign that you couldn't be arsed getting planning permission for? Ah God that's terrible. Terrible. Shockin'.

ah, dont be picking on aunty Joe. I will get a pic. tomorrow if they are still there.
    To be fair to Joe he does give a voice to some who would not be heard otherwise. Are we being smug and superior when we slag his show? Lots of people listen.

Quote Originally Posted by eamo View Post
    To be fair to Joe he does give a voice to some who would not be heard otherwise. Are we being smug and superior when we slag his show? ....
    "In fairness" is the correct cliché used by Joe when he defends the wealthy class, e.g. "In fairness, our TDs are very hard-working people."

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    "In fairness" is the correct cliché used by Joe when he defends the wealthy class, e.g. "In fairness, our TDs are very hard-working people."
    Hi Holly, Yes, I think you are right, he does use that phrase a lot.
    TDs do work very hard, as do Councillors, they tend not to view it as work because it is their life. And people who have never known TDs or councillors tend to think they do F all all day long.

3 people killed so far today. A cyclist a biker and a child.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/t...es-511228.html

Terrible sadness.

This is the add. I was referring to, taken half an hour ago by the Stillorgan road.
    .................................................. .................................................. .............................. It might tick some marketing boxes but someone should have seen sense. Its encouraging dangerous stupidity.

Convertibles and cretinism seem to go hand in hand.

I was in Newry this morning and just south of the border on the way up I was passed by a BMW convertible going at serious speed. He was slowed down by traffic shortly afterwards and I kept expecting him to crash as he drifted between the white line and the central median while repeatedly looking over his shoulder to talk to a child in the rear seat.

Going down the hill in Newry I was directly behind him and was shocked to see he had a very small child, maybe 4 or 5 years old, in the front seat. In the town he was driving while looking at house plans he had opened on his knee with the little kid holding one corner.

It was incredibly dangerous stuff. Not alone should he be put off the road but the safety of his kids should be monitored by the authorities as they are at risk while in the care of that moron.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    Road deaths so far in 2011 are down 9% on last year but deaths of cyclists and motor cyclists, two groups notorious for flouting the rules of the road, are up.

If we can achieve this with low enforcement of driving offences and almost no enforcement of vehicle standards just imagine what could be done if we made a bit of an effort.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking46.html
    This could be economic, as there is much less motor traffic about - particularly HGVs in construction trade - and I expect our new poverty is driving some of us back onto our bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    This could be economic, as there is much less motor traffic about - particularly HGVs in construction trade - and I expect our new poverty is driving some of us back onto our bikes.
    Add to that a lot of young men emigrating and many boy racer chariots off the road.

You're right to point to the economics of the thing because it distorts the figures. The 9% reduction doesn't represent 9% fewer deaths per mile travelled so it's not a like-with-like comparison.

Unfortunately it could lead to complacency on the part of the authorities and even further downgrading of the status of the Traffic Corps within the Gardaí.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    Convertibles and cretinism seem to go hand in hand.
    Whats the difference between a convertible and a hedgehog?
    The hedgehog caries the pricks on the outside, boom boom
    Some jokes just get better with age.

Most drivers think they're above average.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/m...ge-511350.html

Mathematical absurdity aside this survey shows that despite the woeful standard of driving that can be observed every day and everywhere in the country drivers still believe they are excellent.

This level of self delusion is another argument for requiring drivers to periodically re-qualify for their licence. Ideally we should all have to resit the test at the level of the highest licence we hold every 5 years but maybe as an interim measure a 10 year re-test could apply.

It's being reported that a significant number of speeding offences are thrown out because defendants claim they haven't received notice of the offence.

GoSafe, the private company that operates the speed vans, should be instructed to send the notices by recorded delivery to ensure that this doesn't continue.

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...e-2821181.html

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast