Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Urban and Rural Ireland - A tale of two Irelands.

Default Re: A tale of two Irelands.

Gilmore is happy to withdraw health services from the people of Roscommon but he's digging his heels in when it comes to Loughlinstown in his own constituency.

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...e-2818562.html

In today's Ireland whether you live or die can come down to whether there's a minister in your constituency.

No minister, no hospital.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...303005258.html

People in rural Ireland will be scratching their heads in bewilderment at the news that in Ballymun they're protesting that a subsidised bus service every 15 minutes within walking distance of their homes isn't good enough.

Twilight zone stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post

No minister, no hospital.
    Missing Cowen already, huh?

For what it's worth, I doubt he'll manage to save Loughlinstown. The southside also has Vincents, James' and Tallaght.... not to mention St Michael's in DunLaoghaire, although I don't think it has 24hr A&E. Oh, and Holles St and Mt. Carmel for the pregnant....oops, forgot the Coombe!

The problem with Loughlinstown is that it is an unofficial service for North Wicklow...just on the N11. So, it is already 20-30 miles + for many, and the other southside hospitals add an extra 10-20 miles onto that.

The removal of state services from rural areas is set to pick up pace with the imminent retirement of 1,200 gardaí set to disproportionately affect small rural stations. Coming on top of closures of fire stations and hospitals this means that soon some parts of the country could have no emergency services at all.

Not that it will disturb the slumbers of our urban based cabinet ministers - Culchies? Sure they're only good for paying tax.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0901/garda.html

Christmas will come early for criminals who want to prey on rural dwellers as the government plans to close down 200 garda stations across the country.

Not a big concern for our Dublin Cabinet though.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/2...et-521110.html

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Christmas will come early for criminals who want to prey on rural dwellers as the government plans to close down 200 garda stations across the country.

Not a big concern for our Dublin Cabinet though.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/2...et-521110.html
    Absolutely insane and what are they going to do to deal with crime? With this news and the advent of this happening crime is going to shoot up in rural areas. I could see this leading to people taking what they may term reasonable force in order to secure their homes. The govt will have no one else to blame but themselves if some robber gets a bit of lead behind his ear while robbing some poor old couple.

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    Absolutely insane and what are they going to do to deal with crime?
    Make it an offence to commit a crime outside the hours of 9 to 5.

Since we're talking about the wrong side of the M50 it's really not something the cabinet will worry about.

Make it an offence to commit a crime outside the hours of 9 to 5.

Since we're talking about the wrong side of the M50 it's really not something the cabinet will worry about.
    Their apathy shocks me tbh...

The cabinet don't give a damn about anyone and anything outside their immediate environs.

As long as the people keep paying and the sick injured remain mute about the state (or lack) of the A&E's in rural Ireland they really couldn't care less.

Personal experience left me waiting 5hrs in my local A&E in order to get an X-ray read. Not to get it taken mind you. Just to get a doctor to say yay or nay to whether it was broken.

The system is a shambles and not through my perception of a lack of medical staff but just simply disorganised. And what appeared to be interns/registrars wearing stethoscopes like accessories. Awaiting accreditation of their qualifications perhaps. So all present and correct but not able to do anything.

The nurses to their credit were trying their best, but at the end of the day management was sadly lacking but then management was never the HSE's strong point.

Shatter is now saying that he wont close 'hundreds' of garda stations. That covers him for up to 199 without being called a liar.

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...s-2881187.html

€3M has been found to do a major resurfacing on Chesterfield Avenue in the Phoenix Park in Dublin.

RTE covered the story with a wildly over the top piece from Caitríona Perry on SixOne yesterday. 'They're not so much pot holes as pot craters' quoth Ms. Perry while standing beside what would on most roads around the country pass as a minor blemish.

RTE really should send its staff outside the M50 every once in a while to give them a sense of proportion.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1113311 - The relevant clip begins at 29.38

€3M has been found to do a major resurfacing on Chesterfield Avenue in the Phoenix Park in Dublin.

RTE covered the story with a wildly over the top piece from Caitríona Perry on SixOne yesterday. 'They're not so much pot holes as pot craters' quoth Ms. Perry while standing beside what would on most roads around the country pass as a minor blemish.

RTE really should send its staff outside the M50 every once in a while to give them a sense of proportion.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1113311 - The relevant clip begins at 29.38
    Where did they find 3m for that? I think a couple of people on hospital trollies is more urgent need of attention. This is what I hate about this government, they have got al their priorities wrong as per usual

Where did they find 3m for that? I think a couple of people on hospital trollies is more urgent need of attention. This is what I hate about this government, they have got al their priorities wrong as per usual
    I think it comes with the job FB.

Once these people attain the lofty environs of Kildare Street all sense of proportion flies out of the window.

We are third class citizens with absolutely no entitlement to any semblance or vestige of normal living.

Some of the potholes are so bad in my area, especially on the drive to work, that I one day expect to see fishermen sitting around them with the necessary rods.

And what's worse, I expect them to catch something.

Of the 10 hospitals the government is earmarking for closure (or effective closure), 8 are in constituencies with no ministers. No minister, no hospital.

Dublin has 9 ministers so money can be found for anything from repairing lightly damaged roads to swimming pools.

http://www.politicalworld.org/showthread.php?t=7310

The oldest grandson goes to Davitt College, Castlebar. On top of the €130 to rent books, another €40 was needed for Junior Cert exam papers, €20 for student locker, €60 for equipment for metal and woodwork, and €25 a week dinner money.

That's an awful lot of extra money on top of uniforms, school outings, sports equipment etc. What really bugged me though is that Enda Kenny has been smiling his way through all the schools here, completely ignoring the worry and desperation for so many people. And my grandson can walk to school. A hell of a lot have to pay for private buses, €40 per week!!

It's not right.
    Other people have a nationality. The Jews and the Irish have a psychosis: Brendan Behan

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast