Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 517

Thread: Urban and Rural Ireland - A tale of two Irelands.

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15,318

    Default Re: Urban and Rural Ireland - A tale of two Irelands.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Buddha View Post
    Derail it?
    Yes. By turning it into yet another of your obsessive rants against FF.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Buddha View Post
    You come out with your perception of anti--rural bias on the part of this Cabinet. You lament the fact that so few of the current Cabinet represent rural constituencies.
    I lament the consequences of a huge imbalance in cabinet coupled with a flawed system.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Buddha View Post
    The previous Cabinet was awash with rural members. You see part of their remit is to ensure that the misallocation of funds be continued to ensure that funds are diverted to rural constituencies. You did not bring up this issue before because the diverting of funds and the misallocation of resources was TO the country and not, as you perceive it, AWAY FROM, the country.
    The only defence of unfairly diverting national resources to individual constituencies in this thread is coming from you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Buddha View Post
    From the above, I can only conclude that you would be much happier with a FF-PD administration
    My constant opposition to that government here and elsewhere being entirely irrelevant then?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Buddha View Post
    and, given that benchmarking was delivered by them into your lap on top of the massive diversion of resources, who can blame you?
    How was Benchmarking delivered to my lap?

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15,318

    Default Re: Urban and Rural Ireland - A tale of two Irelands.

    The withdrawal of state services from rural Ireland is gathering pace. Gardaí are no longer able to patrol rural areas because they don't have enough cars.

    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...as-203551.html

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    heart of Europe
    Posts
    24,173

    Default Re: Urban and Rural Ireland - A tale of two Irelands.

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    The withdrawal of state services from rural Ireland is gathering pace. Gardaí are no longer able to patrol rural areas because they don't have enough cars.

    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...as-203551.html
    I assume this will be reflected in the property tax, yeah?
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15,318

    Default Re: Urban and Rural Ireland - A tale of two Irelands.

    Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    I assume this will be reflected in the property tax, yeah?
    Access to services has a significant impact on the market value of a house. Whether people would opt to have no police service just to cut a few quid of their PT is another matter.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15,318

    Default Re: Urban and Rural Ireland - A tale of two Irelands.

    Thanks to Dr. Five for this link.

    http://www.eveningecho.ie/2012/07/26...ess-which-one/

    Money follows the ministers. Cork has 1, Dublin has 9.

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin North-West - the leading constituency!
    Posts
    5,881

    Default Re: Urban and Rural Ireland - A tale of two Irelands.

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    Thanks to Dr. Five for this link.

    http://www.eveningecho.ie/2012/07/26...ess-which-one/

    Money follows the ministers. Cork has 1, Dublin has 9.
    Under my vision of democracy, this would not be possible. But until we get rid of the useless, clapped-out, redundant, not-fit-for-purpose system of government we currently have, this sort of nonsense will continue to occur.

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15,318

    Default Re: Urban and Rural Ireland - A tale of two Irelands.

    The state withdrawal from Rural Ireland continues unchecked.

    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...ce-204634.html

    Anger is growing around the country over things like this. People are fed up paying more and more on services for others while their own are withdrawn.

    If the government isn't very careful it will hand FF a ticket back to power.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    heart of Europe
    Posts
    24,173

    Default Re: Urban and Rural Ireland - A tale of two Irelands.

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post

    If the government isn't very careful it will hand FF a ticket back to power.
    It is inevitable at this stage.

    FG have their "turn" and are doing nothing.

    It will be FF's "turn" next.

    FF seem better at making their "turns" longer, for whatever reason.

    That seems to be the only difference between FG and FF
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin North-West - the leading constituency!
    Posts
    5,881

    Default Re: Urban and Rural Ireland - A tale of two Irelands.

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    The state withdrawal from Rural Ireland continues unchecked.

    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...ce-204634.html

    Anger is growing around the country over things like this. People are fed up paying more and more on services for others while their own are withdrawn.

    If the government isn't very careful it will hand FF a ticket back to power.

    Threats now. Things are turning nasty. Believe it or not, people in Dublin feel exactly the same way. They are not, despite the spin you would like to put on it, getting ANY advantage whatsoever from having all these shiny Ministers in the capital.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15,318

    Default Re: Urban and Rural Ireland - A tale of two Irelands.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Buddha View Post
    Threats now. Things are turning nasty. Believe it or not, people in Dublin feel exactly the same way. They are not, despite the spin you would like to put on it, getting ANY advantage whatsoever from having all these shiny Ministers in the capital.
    If I saw you were about to pick up something that was very hot and I said to you 'Be careful, that's hot'. Would I be threatening to burn you or alerting you to the danger?

    If you don't think FF will exploit the anger of rural dwellers at the attacks on their communities you've been away too long.

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin North-West - the leading constituency!
    Posts
    5,881

    Default Re: Urban and Rural Ireland - A tale of two Irelands.

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    If I saw you were about to pick up something that was very hot and I said to you 'Be careful, that's hot'. Would I be threatening to burn you or alerting you to the danger?

    If you don't think FF will exploit the anger of rural dwellers at the attacks on their communities you've been away too long.
    I put nothing past FF. After all, they were capable of treason so there does not appear to be a limit to which they will not go.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15,318

    Default Re: Urban and Rural Ireland - A tale of two Irelands.

    Limerick City and county councils are to be amalgamated in 2014 and the key objective of the new entity will be 'revitalising Limerick city'.

    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...322499892.html

    If I was living in the Limerick county area right now I'd be wondering which of my services was earmarked for the chop to pay for the 'key objective' of the new local authority.

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15,318

    Default Re: Urban and Rural Ireland - A tale of two Irelands.

    Shatter on PrimeTime now trying to justify withdrawing garda services from rural Ireland.

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15,318

    Default Re: Urban and Rural Ireland - A tale of two Irelands.

    "Burglaries were up in 2011 before a single station was closed" - Shatter. So he acknowledges that crime is rising but he's pushing ahead with rural station closures anyway.

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15,318

    Default Re: Urban and Rural Ireland - A tale of two Irelands.

    Dodges the question "How far is too far?" for gardaí to have to travel to deal with a call.

Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us