Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Speculation on Hugo Chavez illness Update - Chavez Has Died 5.3.2013

Default Re: Chavez suffers cancer relapse - names successor

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    Sorry to hear that.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Why should Chavez be the one to name his successor? Surely the constitution, or rather what's left of it, sets out the guidelines for succession in the event of a serving president's death?

Quote Originally Posted by Dojo View Post
    Why should Chavez be the one to name his successor? Surely the constitution, or rather what's left of it, sets out the guidelines for succession in the event of a serving president's death?
    It does, and it's his Vice President. He was telling people to vote for this guy at the next election.

It does, and it's his Vice President. He was telling people to vote for this guy at the next election.
    Nothing in your quote suggests he was talking about future elections, rather the immediate aftermath of his death.....

Hugo Chavez has [....] designated vice president Nicolas Maduro as his heir apparent
    Suggesting Chavez has instructed the state to accept VP Maduro as President once Chavez kicks the bucket. BTW, shouldn't it be up to the party who they nominate to run?

Hugo Chavez has been has been universally unpopular with the Venezuelan people I have met and spoken to in Ireland.
    These people have two things in common.
    1;They are nice decent people who believe what they say.
    2;They are wealthy people from wealthy families.
    When I ask them to explain Hugos popularity among the Venezuelan people the answer has always been some variation on "those poor people don't know what is good for them"
    The conclusion I have drawn is that it is not only power that corrupts but wealth also corrupts. And those so corrupted by money see those without money as childlike people who need to be told what is good for them, and of course what is good for the poor wont in anyway reduce the wealth of the rich.
    So I wish Hugo Chavez a full recovery and long may the Venezuelan people be an inspiration to the world.

http://s2.jrnl.ie/media/2012/03/PA-13080508-390x285.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by eamo View Post
    Hugo Chavez has been has been universally unpopular with the Venezuelan people I have met and spoken to in Ireland.
    These people have two things in common.
    1;They are nice decent people who believe what they say.
    2;They are wealthy people from wealthy families.
    When I ask them to explain Hugos popularity among the Venezuelan people the answer has always been some variation on "those poor people don't know what is good for them"
    The conclusion I have drawn is that it is not only power that corrupts but wealth also corrupts. And those so corrupted by money see those without money as childlike people who need to be told what is good for them, and of course what is good for the poor wont in anyway reduce the wealth of the rich.
    So I wish Hugo Chavez a full recovery and long may the Venezuelan people be an inspiration to the world.

http://s2.jrnl.ie/media/2012/03/PA-13080508-390x285.jpg
    +1 The rich hate him, I know of similarly decent rich white immigrants to Venezuela who loath the man. Real bread and butter, rich vs poor South-American politics and for once the small guy is the one with the power.

Nothing in your quote suggests he was talking about future elections, rather the immediate aftermath of his death.....

Suggesting Chavez has instructed the state to accept VP Maduro as President once Chavez kicks the bucket. BTW, shouldn't it be up to the party who they nominate to run?
    I included a link, I'm not allowed copy and paste the whole thing;
    The Venezuelan leader also said that in the event “something happened” and he were incapacitated, vice president Nicolas Maduro would step in and assume control of the government for the rest of the 2013-2019 term, as required by the constitution.

But in what appeared like a presentation of his final will, the president also indicated he would like Maduro to take over the reins of power in a post-Chavez period, urging Venezuelans to vote for him in the next presidential election.

I included a link, I'm not allowed copy and paste the whole thing;
    Fair enough. The phrase "names successor" had a very Eastern Bloc feel to it.

Fair enough. The phrase "names successor" had a very Eastern Bloc feel to it.
    Where in the Eastern Bloc were successors named?
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Default Re: Speculation on Hugo Chavez illness

Chavez is dead on Twitter again. Meanwhile Der Spiegel online publishes a George Bush Senior obituary in error. Tis that time of year I suppose.

Looks serious this time. In an induced coma and only being kept alive with artificial assistance according to Spanish daily newspaper ABC this afternoon.
    http://www.abc.es/internacional/2013...301011903.html

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    Looks serious this time. In an induced coma and only being kept alive with artificial assistance according to Spanish daily newspaper ABC this afternoon.
    http://www.abc.es/internacional/2013...301011903.html
    ''Fuentes consultadas por ABC'' (sources consulted by ABC) is frankly not a source at all.

In any case it does seem that he's in a bad way. Strict cordon on info emanating from Cuba and thus i wonder who these staunch catholic ultra right extremists sources of info are?

Quote Originally Posted by Ogiol View Post
    ''Fuentes consultadas por ABC'' (sources consulted by ABC) is frankly not a source at all.

In any case it does seem that he's in a bad way. Strict cordon on info emanating from Cuba and thus i wonder who these staunch catholic ultra right extremists sources of info are?
    Indeed

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-20886185

BBC reporting that Chavez is stable and aware of his condition. This was reported by the vice president today.
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

I think I should merge the various threads about Chavez.

Will do it later.

In the meantime, the PK show this morning had a long interview with a guy who said he is Irish, and who works for the Grauniad.

He said that Chavez accused him of being an agent of British Imperialism.

Any views ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast