Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: We can see through Big Bang to Previous Universe :Update - Gravitational Waves Confirmed

Default Re: Does dark matter exist?

There is an interesting 'idiots primer' on the various competing theories of everything in this weeks New Scientist - it doesn't mention Moffats theory. It should be noted of course that Einstein himself had doubts about some of his theories, he felt they were just the layer of an onion over some more deeper theories - this is one reason why he was unhappy with quantum theory.

One of the interesting aspects of theoretical physics over the past half century or so is how its gone from the neat certainty of Einsteins theory and quantum mechanics into a much more confusing world of largely unprovable hypotheses. You can either suggest that this means the 'theory of everything' is incredibly complex and may never be discovered, or it may mean that somewhere along the line everyone took the wrong turning and are looking in the wrong place.

For anyone interested, Lee Smolin (a highly respected,but also highly controversial) researcher wrote a book called The Trouble with Physics., which created quite a stir a few years ago. He argues that String Theory is not just wrong, but has become a sort of cult, whereby no PhD candidate can deviate if he wants a post with tenure. He has argued that the link between experiment/observation and mathematical theorizing has been broken, with too much emphasis on the latter, leading to incredibly complex models which are mathematical elegant, but may have no more relevant to how the world works than a sudoko puzzle.

As a non-Physicist, I can't comment on any of these arguments, the maths is light years beyond me. But it is an interesting insight into how even hard science can be less 'scientific' than seems at first sight.

I've always considered "dark matter" to be a bit of a cop out.

Einstein was frequently wrong. However, Relativity has been shown to be right time and time again. On the other hand, quantum theory is the most successful theory of all time. The General Theory of Relativity explains that gravity is the curvature of Space-Time caused by the presence of mass. Unfortunately, for relativity, sub atomic particles can and tend to ignore gravity completely. This shouldn't have scientists running off and coming up with cak like "dark matter" mind you. There are still plenty of mysteries associated with gravity, that neither relativity nor quantum mechanics answers adequately. For example, an electron, which can ignore gravity, cannot ignore the gravitational pull of a black hole and escape once it goes beyond the event horizon.

My own thinking (which aint worth much) is that this is a dimensional issue. The accelerating and expanding universe, that is. If for example, the universe was on the surface of some multi-dimensional sphere, and it began from some singular point, it would tend to suffer a braking effect, due to gravity, until most of the mass had passed the equator. From that point onwards the mass past the equator would accelerate towards a cosmic big crunch.

We just don't know enough. And bringing in "dark matter" with not a shred of evidence to support it, short of the alleged anomaly it seeks to explain, is akin to saying "god did it!"

Whilst I'm on the subject. Edwin Hubble, heavy weight boxing champion, the guy who gave his name to that cool telescope in space and the guy who first noticed the red shift in far away galaxies, first postulated that the universe was expanding and accelerating. I've always found this troublesome too!

If the universe has been expanding and accelerating for around 14 or 15 billion years, why hasn't the speed of the outer galaxies been subject to the laws of relativity. In other words, as one approaches the speed of light, the energy that provides for the acceleration is converted into mass. The extra mass requires more energy to shift, never mind accelerate.

We're but children with regard to our knowledge of the universe. Dangerous children...

Munnkeyman's thread on some aspects of Relativity Theory that have been borne out over the last 95 years.

http://www.politicalworld.org/showth...light=einstein

Last edited by C. Flower; 20-04-2015 at 03:36 AM.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

The main issue is what percentage of the universe
    is composed of dark energy/matter.

There are good candidates for dark matter though, it's just a question of
    finding their rest mass.
    For example the Neutrino is a non-baryonic dark matter particle,
    Which has been postulated in various theories to make up between
    8-15% of matter in the Universe.

I See.

Well no, I have only a vague notion of what you are talking about, but I read once about a theory that human (or maybe intelligent) observation of a phenomena, any phenomena, changes that phenomena. Just a theory, but I also attended a photography lecture where a prominent photographer said observing a subject will attract the attention of that subject even when back is turned. and I think we can all relate to that.

Hang on, give me a chance, I think this is going somewhere.

Is it possible the more intelligence observes the universe, the more complicated the universe becomes. Intelligence being a creation of the universe, could be creating more and more layers to the thing which created it. The universe as a mad thing chasing its own dam tail. The universe examining itself and like peering into parallel mirrors looking into a mirage of infinity. Or God saying "fools, I told you the score, do you have to prove it for yourselves!!"

Well, O.K.. maybe it was not going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by eamo View Post
    I See.

Well no, I have only a vague notion of what you are talking about, but I read once about a theory that human (or maybe intelligent) observation of a phenomena, any phenomena, changes that phenomena.
    Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    wha?? will google.

Sounded a bit like it, before it lost me. But I dont think it is quite the same theory.

Quote Originally Posted by eamo View Post
    Sounded a bit like it, before it lost me. But I dont think it is quite the same theory.
    Fair enough. Not exactly playing to my strengths either

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    Schrödinger's cat?
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Tis the uncertainty principle.

If you tried to observe an electron (or some other sub atomic particle) light reflected from your eye would disturb the electron's position and it'd be gone, outta there!

The principle states you can never know the position and momentum of a sub atomic particle for a given moment in time, you can at best, know either the position or the momentum. You can only know the probability of an electron being in a certain place at a certain time.

So yes, observation is very important to the quantum universe. All possibilities are merged into a massive superposition of states, until an observation picks a single state and makes it an historical fact. This observation does not need to be either conscious or intelligent however.

Schrodinger's cat is right on the button Sam.

I aint afraid of the dark.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RonVkZ1lXA"]YouTube - ‪Ghostbusters Theme Song‬‏[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Seán Ryan View Post
    Tis the uncertainty principle.

If you tried to observe an electron (or some other sub atomic particle) light reflected from your eye would disturb the electron's position and it'd be gone, outta there!

The principle states you can never know the position and momentum of a sub atomic particle for a given moment in time, you can at best, know either the position or the momentum. You can only know the probability of an electron being in a certain place at a certain time.

So yes, observation is very important to the quantum universe. All possibilities are merged into a massive superposition of states, until an observation picks a single state and makes it an historical fact. This observation does not need to be either conscious or intelligent however.

Schrodinger's cat is right on the button Sam.
    A historical fact? Maybe, a lot of so-called 'observations' result in the application of theory to a set of observed elements, they aren't necessarily facts, that is the core of Heisenberg's ideas.

Dark matter is a concept that fits some observations, equally, the idea that our observed universe, or the elements of it we can 'see', could be one half of an 'anti universe' viz yesterdays announcement by CERN.

I tend to agree with the viepoint that tenure and getting on is a driver of some theories and provides legs for ideas. In Einstein, Schreodinger and Bohr's et al's time there was less pressure and more blue sky thinking.

Good Sc Am article on anti-matter referenced in The Register's item here -

http://go.reg.cx/news/1Ppw

B

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    Schrödinger's cat?
    Thats the beast in a box, and it was at a public lecture in the RDS many years ago.
    Anyone remember that?
    Last edited by eamo; 07-06-2011 at 09:31 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast