Thread: Sectarian Attacks four times higher

Default Sectarian Attacks four times higher

Sectarian Attacks four times higher
    North Belfast News 23rd of May 2011
    By Gemma Burns

NORTH BELFAST suffered almost four times more sectarian incidents last year than any other part of the city according to new statistics published last week.

Figures released by the PSNI show that despite a number of strategies and groups set up to bring the two communities together, sectarian incidents continue to blight North Belfast significantly more than any other area in the six counties.

Over the past 12 months police recorded 389 sectarian incidents in North Belfast with the next highest 189 in Foyle before the number drops sharply again with the third highest being 101 incidents in east Belfast. In all other parts of the North the figure is below 100 incidents.

In North Belfast, where the two communities are living cheek by jowl and there are more peace walls than anywhere else in the six counties, sectarian incidents continue to be rife.

Dr John Topping from the University of Ulster’s School of Criminology said it is clear the figure is high due to the number of interfaces, but that social factors should also be taken into account.

“North Belfast has always had the highest number of physical interfaces and this will breed trouble between different groups,” he said.

“From my own work on the ground I can see that there is more faith in the PSNI and people are more likely to report these crimes. However they are symptomatic of wider problems including social deprivation, exclusion and separation.

“I wouldn’t say people in North Belfast are any more or less sectarian than anywhere else, although clearly sectarianism has a part in it. But with so many peace walls in the area it gives young people the opportunity to engage in trouble. The ease of using social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter to set up violence show this.”

The academic said it is difficult to ascertain if removing peace walls would help or hinder the problem, but said better political strategies might be the key.

“The million dollar question is the peace walls, but I would say that there is a bigger political issue to grasp here. We have the summer coming up when trouble tends to get worse and I think there is good work on the ground with the police and community groups.

“It needs to come from higher up because I think the levels of sectarian incidents are linked to the wider political issues.”

http://www.belfastmedia.com/home_article.php?ID=2376

Default Re: Sectarian Attacks four times higher

However they are symptomatic of wider problems including social deprivation, exclusion and separation.
    Isn't this what it really boils down to?

Interesting stuff....any one watch "Wonderland - The Men Who Won't Stop Marching" last night on BBC 2 ( 9p.m.). Very interesting; was expecting it to be overwhelmingly sectarian and upsetting...but, although it retained certain 'colours'...it left me feeling a little more hopeful...any one else feel this?

Quote Originally Posted by whydontwe View Post
    Interesting stuff....any one watch "Wonderland - The Men Who Won't Stop Marching" last night on BBC 2 ( 9p.m.). Very interesting; was expecting it to be overwhelmingly sectarian and upsetting...but, although it retained certain 'colours'...it left me feeling a little more hopeful...any one else feel this?
    Not wildly but a little bit.

Must admit I watched some of it through a closed hand, not sure why I felt embarrassed but I did. Got a text during it from a Protestant friend which said, 'BBC2 now - Sorry'.

However, some of the opinions were less strident than I would have expected and in my experience of Loyalism, it never puts on a face for the media, what you hear is exactly how they see it.
    http://ancruiskeenlawnmower.wordpress.com/

If dreams were lightning, thunder was desire, this whole place would have burned down, a long time ago.

When will they ever learn?

Quote Originally Posted by 5intheface View Post
    Not wildly but a little bit.

Must admit I watched some of it through a closed hand, not sure why I felt embarrassed but I did. Got a text during it from a Protestant friend which said, 'BBC2 now - Sorry'.

However, some of the opinions were less strident than I would have expected and in my experience of Loyalism, it never puts on a face for the media, what you hear is exactly how they see it.
    I never saw the program --but I imagine with their drastic reduction of brethern and lodges coupled with equality laws and other curtailing legislation --their longer outlook could be more concerned about survival than their usual triumphalism.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-36123836.html

Shocking, not least because some of the suicides seem to be linked to sectarian attacks.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.