Page 2 of 113 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 1683

Thread: Fracking and the Environment: Exploration licenses granted to search for shale gas in Lough Allen area

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,724

    Default Re: Exploration licenses granted to search for shale gas in Lough Allen area

    Here -

    http://pubs.acs.org/cen/news/89/i20/8920notw1.html

    There is an article based on research at Duke U and published in the Proceedings of the (US) National Academy of Sciences which links natural gas drilling in organic rich shale deposits and methane contaminated residential well water.

    They found that the chemicals used for fracking didn't percolate but the methane they were extracting appeared to. The level of methane in wells was almost twice the permitted amount - not that there is any actual permitted amount, the federal regulation is a safety one, recommending that there be ventilation of the water containers!! Water containing methane is not harmful, but it can explode!!

    They eliminated biological decay as a reason for the presence of the methane.

    The article reports that the US Dept of Energy has set up a committee to report in 90 days on safety and environmental effects of fracking.

    The industry associations have criticised the study saying there was no baseline of the amount of methane in the water before the drilling started.

    B

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barrym
    Here -

    http://pubs.acs.org/cen/news/89/i20/8920notw1.html

    There is an article based on research at Duke U and published in the Proceedings of the (US) National Academy of Sciences which links natural gas drilling in organic rich shale deposits and methane contaminated residential well water.

    They found that the chemicals used for fracking didn't percolate but the methane they were extracting appeared to. The level of methane in wells was almost twice the permitted amount - not that there is any actual permitted amount, the federal regulation is a safety one, recommending that there be ventilation of the water containers!! Water containing methane is not harmful, but it can explode!!

    They eliminated biological decay as a reason for the presence of the methane.

    The article reports that the US Dept of Energy has set up a committee to report in 90 days on safety and environmental effects of fracking.

    The industry associations have criticised the study saying there was no baseline of the amount of methane in the water before the drilling started.

    B
    Explosions can be harmful :-)

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown
    Posts
    8,498

    Default Re: Exploration licenses granted to search for shale gas in Lough Allen area

    Quote Originally Posted by barrym View Post
    The industry associations have criticised the study saying there was no baseline of the amount of methane in the water before the drilling started.

    B
    Well, the Brits are starting near Blackpool, so maybe they could run that control??

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,724

    Default Re: Exploration licenses granted to search for shale gas in Lough Allen area

    UK parliament says its ok, IF properly regulated. Of course, but would fracturing
    be properly regulated here? An EU directive, 20 years agreed, on water quality, has yet to be implemented.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,044

    Default Re: Exploration licenses granted to search for shale gas in Lough Allen area

    Looks like we've passed the peak oil scenario alright. Desperation is setting in.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Connemara
    Posts
    735

    Default Re: Exploration licenses granted to search for shale gas in Lough Allen area

    Frac drilling is one of the most destructive, damaging things I know.
    The chemicals damage ground water and air in the surrounding area to the point water will catch fire coming out of a tap! I **** you not

    States like Montana and Minnesota are being very badly damaged by this.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,062

    Default Re: Exploration licenses granted to search for shale gas in Lough Allen area

    Fracking horror stories from Texas...

    http://fuelfix.com/blog/2011/05/23/f...ergy-industry/

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown
    Posts
    8,498

    Default Re: Exploration licenses granted to search for shale gas in Lough Allen area

    It will be interesting to see how they get on with it in the UK...

  9. #24

    Default Re: Exploration licenses granted to search for shale gas in Lough Allen area

    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
    Having watched that vid Gasland, I understand the fracking process to differ from oil drilling in that oil drilling usually relies on a single point of extraction. Fracking would involve a large network of collection points.
    And in addition to the obvious concerns of the water table being contaminated by non-biodegradable cancerogens, the same substances allegedly find their way to the surface and become airborne.

    The fracking process is not a one-off process either: it's repeated a number of times over the lifetime of the wells.


    As a comical aside. There's a dude by the name of Mr Boren who appears at one of the hearings regarding the safety or other complications involving this hydraulic fracturing process. He's clearly defending the process.
    He asks, "If you weren't able to do this hydraulic fracturing, how much more would we be dependent on foreign oil........and terrorism ?"
    I'm glad you mention what is one of my concerns: That this type of gas drilling, because the gas is spread over a large area and difficult to get at, hence fracking, involves various points of access, and this is something I'd like to hear about from these companies. It is not clear as yet what this might involve. Also what would be needed to process the gas and transport it?

    I haven't seen Gasland yet. Anything about this in it?

    It is also not mentioned in the articles that I have read that there were explorations in the area not only in the eighties, but 10 years ago. An American company called Evergreen had the licence. No one would have known about it, had not a couple who had moved to the area found out via internet, not commonly used here at the time. They organised apublic meeting, which was not wellcomed by all and not all public representatives.

    One of the exploration sites was on Sean Quinn's mountain. I went to see it, and if all exploration, and later, extraction sites, would be as complex and heavy an undertaking as this...

    Evergren decided the gas was not worth extraction. Then some years ago another company, Irish I think, announced their plans to get at the gas.

    http://www.rigzone.com/news/article.asp?a_id=29354

    Don't know how it comes that we have now two other companies at it.

    I'm quite worried about the consequences of this for the people and the environment of the area.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    22,431

    Default Re: Exploration licenses granted to search for shale gas in Lough Allen area

    Quote Originally Posted by pleaseenter View Post
    I'm glad you mention what is one of my concerns: That this type of gas drilling, because the gas is spread over a large area and difficult to get at, hence fracking, involves various points of access, and this is something I'd like to hear about from these companies. It is not clear as yet what this might involve. Also what would be needed to process the gas and transport it?

    I haven't seen Gasland yet. Anything about this in it?

    It is also not mentioned in the articles that I have read that there were explorations in the area not only in the eighties, but 10 years ago. An American company called Evergreen had the licence. No one would have known about it, had not a couple who had moved to the area found out via internet, not commonly used here at the time. They organised apublic meeting, which was not wellcomed by all and not all public representatives.

    One of the exploration sites was on Sean Quinn's mountain. I went to see it, and if all exploration, and later, extraction sites, would be as complex and heavy an undertaking as this...

    Evergren decided the gas was not worth extraction. Then some years ago another company, Irish I think, announced their plans to get at the gas.

    http://www.rigzone.com/news/article.asp?a_id=29354

    Don't know how it comes that we have now two other companies at it.

    I'm quite worried about the consequences of this for the people and the environment of the area.
    Welcome pleaseenter, and thanks for the info on earlier exploration of the area
    I suspect that these deposits are being examined again because of rising oil prices which might make it economically viable to extract the gas.
    Its not a coincidence that the exploration licenses were granted in February: there was probably no chance of a government which included the Green Party giving the go ahead.
    The extraction techniques involved are a disaster for the areas involved and I'm sure local people will vigourously oppose any moves in that direction.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wash DC
    Posts
    7,415

    Default Re: Exploration licenses granted to search for shale gas in Lough Allen area

    I assume the proposed Leitrim exploration is in the same general area as the old Arigna Coal Mines. Here’s a piece on new emerging but still unproven tech that “might” mitigate the downside of fracking. But you would likely still have to endure fracking in the first place. If the tech is proven, there could be cheap gas for a long time???

    http://www.npr.org/2011/05/25/136656...owners-worried

    A more expansive discussion.

    http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/20...ards-and-risks

  12. #27

    Default Re: Exploration licenses granted to search for shale gas in Lough Allen area

    Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    I assume the proposed Leitrim exploration is in the same general area as the old Arigna Coal Mines. Here’s a piece on new emerging but still unproven tech that “might” mitigate the downside of fracking. But you would likely still have to endure fracking in the first place. If the tech is proven, there could be cheap gas for a long time???

    http://www.npr.org/2011/05/25/136656...owners-worried

    A more expansive discussion.

    http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/20...ards-and-risks
    Thanks for these links.

    Re your assumption in your first sentence: While formally the area under consideration is called by the industry or geologically the "Lough Allen Basin", this area is much larger than what one might espect as a lay person. It's not just an area around or near Lough Allen, but includes large areas of counties Sligo, Cavan, Leitrim, Roscommon and Farmanagh. I think I read they are going to start exploration in Farmanagh first.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,062

    Default Re: Exploration licenses granted to search for shale gas in Lough Allen area

    Why the French have banned fracking - and why shale gas is high in greenhouse emissions -

    http://ni.wwf.org.uk/wwf_articles.cfm?unewsid=4938

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Connemara
    Posts
    735

    Default Re: Exploration licenses granted to search for shale gas in Lough Allen area

    I have not posted in recent times on political issues, I am disheartend after the last election, nothing has - or is likely to - change.

    The article recently in Hotpress puts it simply.

    We have an economic crisis, and unlike Icelanders we believe the Government, or accept what they say.

    We have accepted an IMF bailout.

    The IMF, in co-operation with corporate interests, aim to exploit their oil, gas, minerals and resources that just happen to be on or under our territory

    In return for a bailout to help speculators and banks, our elected representitives will accept terms and conditions to allow the corporates to maximise their profits exploiting our resources - as there is already a precident in the Shell deal.

    Working in oil and gas I know a little about the field, and frac drilling in populated areas is horendous, with the effects on people, livestock and wildlife being clear and present. FFS - it makes your tap water catch fire!

    Lets not forget the wider environmental implications, drilling near the Shannon means the entire aqueous network could be adversely affected, with unknown long term effects

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,062

    Default Re: Exploration licenses granted to search for shale gas in Lough Allen area

    Quote Originally Posted by simonj View Post
    I have not posted in recent times on political issues, I am disheartend after the last election, nothing has - or is likely to - change.

    The article recently in Hotpress puts it simply.

    We have an economic crisis, and unlike Icelanders we believe the Government, or accept what they say.

    We have accepted an IMF bailout.

    The IMF, in co-operation with corporate interests, aim to exploit their oil, gas, minerals and resources that just happen to be on or under our territory

    In return for a bailout to help speculators and banks, our elected representitives will accept terms and conditions to allow the corporates to maximise their profits exploiting our resources - as there is already a precident in the Shell deal.

    Working in oil and gas I know a little about the field, and frac drilling in populated areas is horendous, with the effects on people, livestock and wildlife being clear and present. FFS - it makes your tap water catch fire!

    Lets not forget the wider environmental implications, drilling near the Shannon means the entire aqueous network could be adversely affected, with unknown long term effects
    Rabitte said to the Daíl on Tuesday that there have been a lot of tenders for new exploration licenses. Do you know anything about this, and the terms of the licenses ?

Page 2 of 113 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us