Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Political World as Gaeilge

Default Re: Political World as Gaeilge

Would "An Saol" do ?

It's kind of nice.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

It is. As long as we do not get confused with the Life Institute

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Would "An Saol" do ?

It's kind of nice.
    I suppose it would, considering almost every aspect of life seems to be discussed on boards like these.

Quote Originally Posted by riadach View Post
    I suppose it would, considering almost every aspect of life seems to be discussed on boards like these.
    Does Saol mean both "life" and "world" ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Not to me. (Riadach, please correct me if I am wrong, which hereinafter will be written as RPCM) Life not world, and I have checked the full page entry in De Bháldraithe Dineen.
    Last edited by Spectabilis; 18-04-2013 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectabilis View Post
    Not to me. (Riadach, please correct me if I am wrong, which hereinafter will be written as RPCM) Life not world, and I have checked the full page entry in De Bháldraithe.
    Well we use the term Political World in a sense a bit different to the purely geographic/physical and more to mean social.

Translation is a minefield
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Does Saol mean both "life" and "world" ?
    Yup, much like the latin saeculum from which it is derived.

It is a minefield indeed, and fun. De Bháldraithe does give Saol as the first meaning for world, but the two meanings are not overlapping with the English. An Saol to me means Life in general, to include the world around us whereas an Domhan is more the physical/geographical world . (RPCM) I just associate Life with certain campaigning groups. No wonder these re-branding campaigns for Fás and other discredited quangos cost millions

Quote Originally Posted by Spectabilis View Post
    It is a minefield indeed, and fun. De Bháldraithe does give Saol as the first meaning for world, but the two meanings are not overlapping with the English. An Saol to me means Life in general, to include the world around us whereas an Domhan is more the physical/geographical world . (RPCM) I just associate Life with certain campaigning groups. No wonder these re-branding campaigns for Fás and other discredited quangos cost millions
    Saol is often used to refer to a section of human activity. It wouldn't be appropriate in a planetary sense, but certainly would be in the sense demanded here.

Now, Cass there's a conundrum for you. Fás, Forfás , Deis, Bórd Bia, An Saol. Nifty .

Well, thankfully such organisations are more interested in life as an abstract idea, rather than a specific period of time. Beatha would suit them far better. We can keep saol. Of course, saolta, is the Irish for secular, which is another reason to commandeer the word :P

Ar fheabhas!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12