Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So, It's Goodbye Fianna Fail

Default Re: So, It's Goodbye Fianna Fail

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    FF is in meltdown. The TDs may want to make a fight of it, but the local machine is not there.
    Too true. Curtains are drawn nearby, phones unanswered - and it's nothing to do with the opening ceremony of the World Cup !
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    Which one was standing for election? The babby?

Rumours are flying that the Greens won't vote on Tuesday.

Has one of John's frogs escaped? Seriously though its put up or shut up time from the greens.

If they vote with FF after having their own agenda completely shafted then I think its hard to escape the conclusion that they are just along for the pensions and should be treated accordingly on the doorsteps.

I think they won't even canvass in the next election.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger John View Post
    There really is no credible alternative - the rest are just as bad - sometimes even worse.
    Correct. For instance anyone who supposes that real public sector reform will take place under labour is deluded. FF won't attack vested interests and neither wil they.

There's a very good case for having election observers in Ireland. The electorall roll is 'incorrect' by up to 40% and that is on the Oireachtas record.

I'd give a lot to see some observation of some constituencies in the North-West. There's the old trick of having a vote at the family home and another vote where the new bungalow was built and no-one in Ireland has any visibility on this kind of thing.

When it was pointed out that the electoral roll was incorrect by such a wide margin the official response was that no corrective action was envisaged until 'after 2012'.

There's something very smelly about that in a country with proportional representation and a system of vote transfers. Anywhere else it would cast doubt on the result of the entire election.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    There's a very good case for having election observers in Ireland. The electorall roll is 'incorrect' by up to 40% and that is on the Oireachtas record.

I'd give a lot to see some observation of some constituencies in the North-West. There's the old trick of having a vote at the family home and another vote where the new bungalow was built and no-one in Ireland has any visibility on this kind of thing.

When it was pointed out that the electoral roll was incorrect by such a wide margin the official response was that no corrective action was envisaged until 'after 2012'.

There's something very smelly about that in a country with proportional representation and a system of vote transfers. Anywhere else it would cast doubt on the result of the entire election.
    Are you sure that the 40% figure is up to date? There was a lot of work done on the Electoral Register in the last couple of years.

Strange- what work? The official Oireachtas question and answer is available...

A question raised in the Dail in 2007;

'106. To ask the Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government if, in
    view of the explained anomalies in voting patterns in the General Election in May 2007,
    he will utilise the information gained from the recent census to produce an electoral
    register, the validity of which he can vouch for; and if he will make a statement on the
    matter. — James Bannon. [34831/07]' http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/o...s/pq181207.pdf

From the Joint Committee on the Environment, Heritage and Local Government

First Report
    The Future of the Electoral Register in Ireland
    and Related Matters
    April 2008
    A8/0417

'At its meeting of 31st October 2007, the Joint Committee on the Environment, Heritage and Local Government elected to compile this Report because–

It found the existing state of the Electoral Register, going back over many years, to be unsatisfactory;

Serious discrepancies were uncovered between the figures published on the Register in 2006 and the figures published by the 2006 Census of Population;

A large variety of errors in the registration and non-registration of voters was discovered in the run-up to the 2007 general election. Many voters were unfairly denied their legitimate voting entitlements.

This gives an idea of the sort of shenanigans available to the corrupt politico in Ireland

'Major problems remain with Irish Electoral Register' http://tara-foundation.org/blog/?p=630
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Its not hard to work out how to disenfranchise voters likely to vote against the government party.

There are on average 452 spoilt votes per constituency in Ireland. Have a think about that for a second ... as the Joint Committee themselves pointed out ...

'ix) Spoilt Votes

The Committee is highly concerned about the level of spoilt votes at every election. The latest figures [Appendix (vii)] show 19,435 invalid ballot papers in the 2007 general election. This is an average of 452 per Dáil constituency.

This very serious issue has not received sufficient public attention or examination. In some constituencies the number of spoilt votes is greater than the difference in the number of votes between the candidate who took the last seat and the candidate below him/her. It is possible that had there been less spoilt votes, the election outcome could have been different in some constituencies.'

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Names the Planets View Post
    They are a party in decline nonetheless. It is forgotten that even with a booming economy the last election was historically their worst result. Come the next election what exactly are they going to campaign on?
    Fear. If this government runs to 2012 the chances are the economy should at least have stopped getting worse. FF will make a virtue of the damage they've done. They'll tell us we've made great sacrifices to get the economy back on the rails and ask if we really want to risk that by electing an inexperienced government at this crucial stage.

They will play up differences between FG and Lab and suggest that they wont be able to form a coherent government. They'll try to scare the left with the spectre of Varadkar in a key ministry and they'll play on the fears of the right by threatening Burton in Finance.

Above all they'll hone in on Kenny. Expect lots of references to the heave. FG people in debates will be asked again and again why the people should have confidence in him when half his front bench hadn't.

And that's just the clean stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Names the Planets View Post
    They've nothing to sell but a bust economy and a fat bespectacled turd with no charisma.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    Fianna Fail are in a state of fear after their own secret internal polls reveal they are likely to be reduced to no more than a rump if an election were called.

Source
    Secret FF polls leaked to the Indo. Caveat emptor.

Must save postage anyway ... just walk over to the Editor's desk ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Well View Post
    I thought that pic of the FF Goons down the back of the Conference with Davin Power couldn't be topped

That one there tho comes close

Yeah i think the best ones were Davin Power with FF goons. That's something that hit the nail on the head.

A lot of eldery voted for FF as that's gone now as the Greens became ' tax tax ' party. They wanted to tax the essential goods such as water, ESB is what i call stealth taxes.
    Last edited by disability student; 02-09-2010 at 12:05 PM.

[QUOTE=Xray;13536]I think FF will fall below Labour, I really do, the core FF vote that is left is very shakey and mainly quite elderly in my personal experience. The NAMA thing has shocked people to the core, if the delay an election by another year they are destroyed.

I cannot believe a back bencher actually attacked the regulaor for being English and evoked the dead generrations against him. That really struck me as desperation. FF have never been a party of bigotry. [B][I]
    Fianna Fáil TD Ned O'Keeffe declared that the regulator was not giving the banks enough space to get their houses in order.

I think FF may follow the same paths as the PD's to the point of a 'has been' party.

The time is nigh and ripe for plucking.

Quote Originally Posted by captain con o'sullivan View Post
    must save postage anyway ... Just walk over to the editor's desk ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast