Page 2 of 85 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Week in Politics - Heckle Here

Default Re: The Week in Politics - Heckle Here

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe McGillycuddy View Post
    We got rid of the death penalty back in the seventies for good reasons. I wouldn't be in any hurry to bring it back.
    Its not so much the penalties for crime that are an issue in this country. Its rather the problems in trying to apply any kind of sanctions for white colllar crime. It is cut and dried stuff to stick somebody in Mountjoy for fiddling the dole or not paying a tv license. Corrupt payments to politicians from wealthy and powerful individuals will be buried in 13 year legal labyrinths.
    No need for a death penalty; it would be a good start just to have laws that can be applied to deal properly with corruption.
    yes and some would argue, max keiser amongst them(and remember im a communist agreeing with that fervent capitalist on this one) that its needed for our kleptocrats.

Quote Originally Posted by unspecific715 View Post
    That segment on Boyd-Barrett was uncalled for. The Ceann Comhairle was a pig. Boyd-Barrett is elected with 2 FG TDs in the DL constituency, of which the CC was one.

Blatant attempt at humiliating him for seeking a statement on a motion in the order of business. Then letting the house attack him.

The segment itself was produced out of the blue and garnered no discussion afterward. Incredible attempt at smearing by our national broadcaster.

The only defence was from Caolain O Caomhghin who later brought the topic up. I have a lot of time for that O Caomhghin. Dignified and integrity are two things I usually don't associate with SF!
    I didn't see it tonight. What was RBB asking for?
    There seems to a certain element of RTE Dail coverage which is focusing on the relative naiveity of people like RBB, Luke Flanagan and Mick Wallace when it comes to procedure. There are over 70 new TDs in the Dail but I've yet to see any faux pas by the new FG/Labour TDs displayed on the box.
    Could be just happens chance, I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by unspecific715 View Post
    That segment on Boyd-Barrett was uncalled for. The Ceann Comhairle was a pig. Boyd-Barrett is elected with 2 FG TDs in the DL constituency, of which the CC was one.

Blatant attempt at humiliating him for seeking a statement on a motion in the order of business. Then letting the house attack him.

The segment itself was produced out of the blue and garnered no discussion afterward. Incredible attempt at smearing by our national broadcaster.

The only defence was from Caolain O Caomhghin who later brought the topic up. I have a lot of time for that O Caomhghin. Dignified and integrity are two things I usually don't associate with SF!
    I've heard it mentioned by Judy Collins that there is a campaign on, particularly by Labour, to get the new TDs to wear suits. They will try to gang up against the 20 or so left TDs to try to wear them down.

When Higgins was first TD, he used wit to attack the Government. The Dail members buttered him up about how funny he was, until the edge was gone and he became imo Daíl jester, for a good part of the time.

I think they are wise to process this and will resist the onslaught.

greengoose Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe McGillycuddy View Post
    I didn't see it tonight. What was RBB asking for?
    There seems to a certain element of RTE Dail coverage which is focusing on the relative naiveity of people like RBB, Luke Flanagan and Mick Wallace when it comes to procedure. There are over 70 new TDs in the Dail but I've yet to see any faux pas by the new FG/Labour TDs displayed on the box.
    Could be just happens chance, I suppose
    Well we did have that silly woman driving down the steps

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7Q52MSNdoE&feature=related"]YouTube - Mary (the Stig) Mitchell O'Connor[/ame]

Tory Quinn basically saying "**** the programme for government", when asked about commitment to Europe to increase income tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Griska View Post
    Tory Quinn basically saying "**** the programme for government", when asked about commitment to Europe to increase income tax.
    and dont think fg or troika will have the wealthy paying higher tax. On top of usc charge which wont be abandoned this could see the whole thing smash into smithereens.

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    and dont think fg or troika will have the wealthy paying higher tax. On top of usc charge which wont be abandoned this could see the whole thing smash into smithereens.
    Undoubtedly. But it was Tory's casual dismissal of the PfG, which is only a couple of months old that was striking.

Quote Originally Posted by Griska View Post
    Undoubtedly. But it was Tory's casual dismissal of the PfG, which is only a couple of months old that was striking.
    Yes. very much frankfurts way. Sf is actually almost as big as labour and the sdlp combined now. one wonders would they turn around as quickly? without gerry adams i doubt it. when they get rid of beardy and mary lou they may be middle-hard left like eirigi.

Glory be. FG is tackled about lack of progress in renegotiating the IMF/EU/ECB loan terms and replies that "we have made progress - the IMF says we are sticking to the deal."

So, it's Frankfurt's (or rather Washington's) way, eh?
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    So, it's Frankfurt's (or rather Washington's) way, eh?
    It sure as hell isn't Dublin's way.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Glory be. FG is tackled about lack of progress in renegotiating the IMF/EU/ECB loan terms and replies that "we have made progress - the IMF says we are sticking to the deal."
    Progress can be defined as moving towards an objective ...

FG objective is sticking to the IMF deal (and paying above the odds to our Euro "friends")?

Default Maidir Le: The Week in Politics - Heckle Here

Fianna Fáil. Will they ever just feck off

Alfalfa ducking that serious pensions question.

Many, many people have no private pensions so if they're forced to retire at 65 they'll have no income for a year until they get the OAP.

Page 2 of 85 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast