Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Emigration: details, info and chat

Default Emigration: details, info and chat

As a courtesy to APJP who can't start a thread yet and came up with a useful idea for pooling emigration advice- From preparing to leave/selecting your destination plus useful tips on settling.

I'll kick off with the advice I got when departing in the 80's. The Ma took me aside and said 'don't get stuck with the Kilburn crowd. Too many of them are wasters and will drag you down with them. And English people are in the main very nice people and as long as you behave they'll treat you alright too.'

The Da took me to one side later and said; 'Stay away from the beer over there. Its ****.'

The Ma was right and the father was wrong. There are some very nice English ales and beers all over the UK.

About England. There is work to be had in London and the major centres but practically you'll need double the money you think you'll need to start you off in London as you'll have to pay deposit for a flat or houseshare unless you know someone already whose couch you can use until first month's pay comes in. Its expensive and I'd advise utilising friends or contacts here if you can rather than arriving knowing no-one. The first months can be very unsettling until you get into the rhythm of life especially coming from the country to London where the pace can be exhausting at first with the tension of finding a place to stay and work.

All pretty basic but happy to try to answer practical questions on UK/London if anyone is heading this way.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Default Emigration: details, info and chat

We all know that emigration is rising, so in this context it makes sense to put up a thread about emigration as it's an issue that affects us younger posters alot. Feel free to post any details, information, tips, anecdotes or advice here.
    Нооруз пиээ пурылыа выиттыа

'Our goal is to conquer state power for the Irish working class'
    Pat Rabitte, 1987

"Can I ask whether this is what the men of 1916 died for: a bailout from the German chancellor with a few shillings of sympathy from the British chancellor on the side?"
    Michael Noonan, November 2010

Default Re: Emigration: details, info and chat

Cheers anti. i had asked con for this anyways. just let him know this is up so he doesnt cross thread please. I'll post some info on france this evening. This is very much something never talked about in college as people think they can avoid it by not mentioning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    Cheers anti. i had asked con for this anyways. just let him know this is up so he doesnt cross thread please. I'll post some info on france this evening. This is very much something never talked about in college as people think they can avoid it by not mentioning it.
    Capt posted a thread already on this, it's here.
    http://www.politicalworld.org/showthread.php?t=7718

I've merged the threads.

Pat Rabitte, 1987

"Can I ask whether this is what the men of 1916 died for: a bailout from the German chancellor with a few shillings of sympathy from the British chancellor on the side?"

I guess a mod will be along to merge at some point so it doesn't matter which thread I use...

OK then. I work in IT, specifically web development, which I've been doing since....1997

I want off this rock, and I'd prefer somewhere that meets the following criteria:

1) Nicer weather than Ireland but not too hot
    2) Bit of life activity and culture to the place
    3) Decent-sized IT industry and availability of broadband & jobs, obviously
    4) Reasonably cheap to live - rent etc. Don't care if wages are what would be considered low by Irish standards if it is far cheaper to live, you can end up well ahead of the game in that situation....low wages by Irish standards but most of it is going straight to savings cos the cost of living is negligible. I have no intention of ever returning so "saving to buy a bit o' land back home" is not part of my agenda, and I know from bitter experience that high wages mean feck all if every penny is disappearing on crazy living costs!
    5) Hot chicks and decent local beers
    6) Either never had a bubble at all or is now at or past the trough, don't want to be dealing with bubbleheads or denialists any more if I can possibly avoid it

I'm considering the Caribbean, SE Asia and NZ at the minute though my savings are meagre enough right now - as the Cap'n said relocating can be an expensive business what with flat deposits etc. Course if I was going that far away I'd get a few grand for the car, wot I own outright, which would help.

Alternatively I could relocate to the UK easily where I've plenty of friends in Manchester, London and Brighton that I could crash with till the first paycheque comes in but.....the UK? Bit meh about the idea really. I visit there regularly to visit friends and, while certainly an improvement on Ireland, it's not exactly great either.

A couple of years back I would have gone to continental Europe but developments in recent years with dodgy banks, dodgy demographics and creeping authoritarianism make me very very leery indeed about Europe (or North America).

I've relocated before all by myself, within Ireland quite a few times and once many years ago to Boston so that doesn't bother me, a seasoned traveller me.

So. Favoured destination and size of required warchest are the only variables really...

Re France, there are a few things to be wary of if you're considering moving there. Renting laws are far stricter than they are here, and you will be required to sign a fixed term rental contract guranteed by someone in France. If you can get the chance to though I would suggest that people consider moving there if they feel they have to leave. French is easy to pick up and once they learn that you're not English they'll be very friendly to you. The food is great and cheap, as is the booze, there's alot to do in cultural terms, more so than there is here, and if you can get a reasonable job, then the wages will be good. In terms of areas to go and live, I would suggest the North as the climate is similar to here and the people are first rate, warm and friendly. Paris is very expensive, but if you're working there I suggest the south western arrondisements as they are not prohibitively expensive and they are all nice areas to live, plenty of amenities and good bakeries.

Pat Rabitte, 1987

If all else fails, try Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by antiestablishmentarian View Post
    Re France, there are a few things to be wary of if you're considering moving there. Renting laws are far stricter than they are here, and you will be required to sign a fixed term rental contract guranteed by someone in France. If you can get the chance to though I would suggest that people consider moving there if they feel they have to leave. French is easy to pick up and once they learn that you're not English they'll be very friendly to you. The food is great and cheap, as is the booze, there's alot to do in cultural terms, more so than there is here, and if you can get a reasonable job, then the wages will be good. In terms of areas to go and live, I would suggest the North as the climate is similar to here and the people are first rate, warm and friendly. Paris is very expensive, but if you're working there I suggest the south western arrondisements as they are not prohibitively expensive and they are all nice areas to live, plenty of amenities and good bakeries.
    I agree by and large with what you say-I'll be headed there in September or late August meself for a year(to dijon 90 mins from paris) and I might return after graduation(although I'd prefer Germany and Denmark first tbh). For any Graduates with some degree of french fluency, who may be considering a masters in France(where it's like a fifth of our fees I think for EU students, the same in Germany denmark etc.) there is a very good site called www.adele.org which helps you find student accomodation. I know some erasmus students who were in France last year told me they will return to work and study there, so perhaps for anyone considering same, this site will come in handy.

Someone I know headed further south into Fr. for our year abroad used this site to find their flat: http://www.rentaplaceinfrance.com/ It looks handy enough as it covers every region except Corsica, which your probably wouldnt go to anyways as it's quite poor with bad transport and few jobs as far as i know(it was me 2nd choice to study abroad) and its really a holiday hotspot and for students, not workers. Of course the most useful transport site, which admittedly a quick google will take ye there, is http://www.sncf.fr/ as the whole rail network is electrical, and unlike in ireland where trains are confined to coastal and built up areas, every back alley has a train station in france.

When ye get to the airports there, every major airport has a train station. Buses are pretty much only for city and town centres. In Dijon, should anyone end up there, the buses are quite fast and completely electrical. For that you'd google Divia Bus. I was in Dijon for a week last month and it seems very nice. Like many french towns-Ive talked to many french people and fellow irish classmates who visited elsewhere in france in prep. for september's sejour-it's quite old and in 2013 it will have a tram. There are lots of kebab shops there with a good kebab roll and chips with all toppings for 4.50 The cafes are quite expensive but the bakeries are cheap. All the tabacs overcharge(the same bottle of water that costs 1.40 in a tabac imported form italy, costs 40 cent in an off licence at night or a supermarket). In other words just avoid the tabacs.

I'd really appreciate info on Northern Germany and denmark, and college/work life there if anyone has it. I intend on going to live and study/work in both places after graduation and am taking up Danish this summer for that reason.

Red face Re: Emigration: details, info and chat

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    If all else fails, try Wales.
    If nothing else its a good rhyme and a good time sorry couldnt resist..:P

BTW Dijon is about the same size as cork( a little bigger actually) so although its a city by Irish standards if anyone on this were looking to work or study in Paris or Northern Switzerland in the years ahead, then Dijon would be an ideal commuter city/town. It's not that big really, it's got good bars and beers can be as cheap as 2.80 EUR for a bottle(obv ye cant get pints and the tap there aint great compared to the quality we're used to here). Kilkenny comes bottled as does smithwicks!!! Talk about the taste of home!! Kilkenny is 1.90 a bottle in the Irish shop. i had never had kilkenny in an Irish bar before and could only get it bottled in Fr.!!! Anyways the main point im adding here is that dijon is the ideal commuter town being 90 mins from paris, 2hrs from lausanne in switzerland. If ye're headed to geneva thats 4 hrs from dijon so ye wouldnt really bother with it then.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    As a courtesy to APJP who can't start a thread yet and came up with a useful idea for pooling emigration advice- From preparing to leave/selecting your destination plus useful tips on settling.

I'll kick off with the advice I got when departing in the 80's. The Ma took me aside and said 'don't get stuck with the Kilburn crowd. Too many of them are wasters and will drag you down with them. And English people are in the main very nice people and as long as you behave they'll treat you alright too.'

The Da took me to one side later and said; 'Stay away from the beer over there. Its ****.'

The Ma was right and the father was wrong. There are some very nice English ales and beers all over the UK.

About England. There is work to be had in London and the major centres but practically you'll need double the money you think you'll need to start you off in London as you'll have to pay deposit for a flat or houseshare unless you know someone already whose couch you can use until first month's pay comes in. Its expensive and I'd advise utilising friends or contacts here if you can rather than arriving knowing no-one. The first months can be very unsettling until you get into the rhythm of life especially coming from the country to London where the pace can be exhausting at first with the tension of finding a place to stay and work.

All pretty basic but happy to try to answer practical questions on UK/London if anyone is heading this way.
    Fair play. Da lived in London for 2 years from 89-91. I sometimes wonder if he wishes he stayed the way things turned out for him as like many ordinary people, life hasnt been very good to him. He told me had only 70 punt headed there and was lucky to be picked from a line of brickies to work as he had only 15 left on his 3rd day!!! That gives ye an idea of what it must of been like for the likes of you con, and me da, headed there in the 80s. As I want to get a few masters after i graduate, i'll have to study abroad but London is more expensive than dublin so that rules it out. Plus i dont want to study at the LSE or i'll turn into richard bruton/bertie or worse, peter sutherland!!! Nah, it's North Germany and Denmark for me

Quote Originally Posted by Munnkeyman View Post
    Capt posted a thread already on this, it's here.
    http://www.politicalworld.org/showthread.php?t=7718
    Soz mods- and ta for the merge.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I guess a mod will be along to merge at some point so it doesn't matter which thread I use...

OK then. I work in IT, specifically web development, which I've been doing since....1997

I want off this rock, and I'd prefer somewhere that meets the following criteria:

1) Nicer weather than Ireland but not too hot
    2) Bit of life activity and culture to the place
    3) Decent-sized IT industry and availability of broadband & jobs, obviously
    4) Reasonably cheap to live - rent etc. Don't care if wages are what would be considered low by Irish standards if it is far cheaper to live, you can end up well ahead of the game in that situation....low wages by Irish standards but most of it is going straight to savings cos the cost of living is negligible. I have no intention of ever returning so "saving to buy a bit o' land back home" is not part of my agenda, and I know from bitter experience that high wages mean feck all if every penny is disappearing on crazy living costs!
    5) Hot chicks and decent local beers
    6) Either never had a bubble at all or is now at or past the trough, don't want to be dealing with bubbleheads or denialists any more if I can possibly avoid it

I'm considering the Caribbean, SE Asia and NZ at the minute though my savings are meagre enough right now - as the Cap'n said relocating can be an expensive business what with flat deposits etc. Course if I was going that far away I'd get a few grand for the car, wot I own outright, which would help.

Alternatively I could relocate to the UK easily where I've plenty of friends in Manchester, London and Brighton that I could crash with till the first paycheque comes in but.....the UK? Bit meh about the idea really. I visit there regularly to visit friends and, while certainly an improvement on Ireland, it's not exactly great either.

A couple of years back I would have gone to continental Europe but developments in recent years with dodgy banks, dodgy demographics and creeping authoritarianism make me very very leery indeed about Europe (or North America).

I've relocated before all by myself, within Ireland quite a few times and once many years ago to Boston so that doesn't bother me, a seasoned traveller me.

So. Favoured destination and size of required warchest are the only variables really...
    NZ would prob suit ye best as the english makes things handy id say, if its ok to offer a perspective on the matter. I understand your anger at the way europe has turned out, many govts scapegoating ourselves, portugal and the poor greeks too. The main reason I'll leave for europe will be the masters fees tbh-they're so cheap. I could even study a degree and work part time and the fees would be 500 a year in Germany!!!! I'm no fool,I don't plan on staying in Germany too long(they will crash worst of all of us in EU) but I would like to head to Denmark for a while after that. I've always liked that place and the people i know from there. It really seems like the country ireland should be :P

How about we all stay? -unless of course you would've left anyway. If we are looking for change then maybe not emigrating would be a starting point?
    I left in the 80's and yeah had a great time but what if we'd all stayed - what difference might we have made? Instead here we are back facing the same again, just wondering what if this time round the young and adventurous stayed home?

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast