Thread: Barry Monteith

Default Barry Monteith

VOTE BARRY MONTEITH – INDEPENDENT REPUBLICAN
    “from the town and for the town”

Barry Monteith will be standing in the upcoming Council elections as an Independent Republican candidate for the Dungannon Town electoral area. Barry has been a Councillor in Dungannon Town for 10 years. He is a qualified youth and community worker and holds a degree in Irish History and Politics. He is an experienced advice worker who has provided a free and confidential advice service to the people of Dungannon and further afield for the last 15 years. Barry has a proven track record of success in representing people at Tribunals and provides advice to people on a daily basis on a variety of issues like benefits, housing, education, health and disability to name a few.

The partition of Ireland continues to blight our Country. Barry believes in and stands for the immediate re-unification of Ireland. This will allow our people to move forward together and build a Republic we can all be proud of. He calls for a 32 County Referendum to be held on the issue of Unification. Let the people of Ireland vote for their freedom.

As an Independent Candidate, Barry is ideally placed to campaign for the people of Dungannon. So far 2011 has been the year of Independents in Irish Politics. More Independents stood and got elected than ever before in the recent elections in 26 Counties. People are tired of Political Parties who promise much but deliver little. They are tired of the establishment parties here in the North who have just rubber stamped 4 Billion in cuts to public services without so much as a whimper of protest.

Barry has always fought British Government cuts. Indeed, he resigned his position on the SELB rather than implement British cuts in education. The £4 Billion British cuts being implemented by the Sinn Féin/DUP Coalition in Stormont must be similarly opposed. The ordinary person should not have to pay for the greed of the Bankers. These cuts have and will adversely affect employment, education, health, benefits, the disabled and the elderly to name a few. The cost of living continues to rise. Essentials like food and fuel (for both heating and transport) are getting more expensive by the day. Yet the powers that be give us nothing but talk and no action.
    Having worked as a Youth Worker in Dungannon for many years, Barry is acutely aware of the issues affecting our young people. They face a future blighted by unemployment, lack of affordable housing, lack of opportunity. Investment must be made now in order to combat these problems or a new generation will be left on the scrapheap.

Barry is involved in numerous community groups and has championed the issues of Anne Street, lack of affordable housing and disadvantage. He has worked closely with ex – Political Prisoners and the families of victims of the conflict in helping them to rebuild their lives. Barry was the driving force behind the issue of the closure of the British Army Barracks at Castle Hill in Dungannon and the re-opening of the site to the public. In 2007, as Mayor of Dungannon, Barry was able to finally open the gates of Castle Hill, the Home of the O’Neill’s, to the people of Dungannon once more. He has been instrumental in pushing forward the current development of the site as a heritage and tourist attraction. Barry has worked hard on issues such as traffic calming and has been involved in all of the major traffic calming schemes over the last number of years. Barry has continually raised the issue of a lack of recreational and open space in Dungannon Town. In too many of our Housing Developments are children forced to play on the street because developers did provide the facilities for family life. This will be top priority in the next few years. He works closely with the GAA clubs in the area to help access funding to improve facilities. Barry has been involved with and fully supports the growth of Irish Medium Education in Dungannon. He has worked for and supports the Buddy Bear School. He has campaigned against the political persecution of Gerry McGeough and is totally opposed to the current practise of forced Strip Searching of Republican prisoners in Maghaberry Gaol. May 5th, election day, is Bobby Sands’ 30th Anniversary. Bobby died on Hunger Strike so that Political Prisoners would not be brutalised and criminalised. It is shameful that Republican Prisoners continue to be brutalised and criminalised by the British State.

“I have done my best on every issue I have had to deal with. I have been honoured to represent the people of Dungannon area. Dungannon needs a strong independent voice to champion the town. I do not have to wait for instructions from party leaderships in Belfast, as an Independent I can act immediately. It is vital that Dungannon is represented by Councillors who have the best interests of the town at heart and not Councillors shipped in from outside to fill party political slots. I am from Dungannon and have lived here all my life. I am from the town and for the town. On May 5th back me once again to represent you and Dungannon. Vote Monteith – be vocal, vote local!”
    "Do not be misled by the promises of politicians. Remember that the whole history of Ireland is a record of betrayals by politicians and statesmen, and remembering this, spurn their lying promises and stand up for a United Ireland - an Ireland broad based upon the union of Labour and Nationality." - James Connolly.

Default Re: Barry Monteith

Barry topped the poll with 1045 votes in Dungannon Town Ward.
    "Do not be misled by the promises of politicians. Remember that the whole history of Ireland is a record of betrayals by politicians and statesmen, and remembering this, spurn their lying promises and stand up for a United Ireland - an Ireland broad based upon the union of Labour and Nationality." - James Connolly.

Comhghairdeas do Bharra

Congrats to Barry, well done on your great vote.