Page 11 of 252 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: What's in the Sunday Papers ?

Default Re: What's in the Sunday Papers ?

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe McGillycuddy View Post
    I really don't know because I didn't hear it. Curious though that with all the unremarkable and pedestrian interviews she does that she gets pulled up on this one.
    Anthony Coughlan complained that Cox was given a free ride for his europhile views.

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...r-2806191.html

Hilarious piece from Drennan in the Sindo about FG and Lab wanting to get Norris a presidential nomination.

"top figures within both parties now believe democracy will be damaged "if he is not on the pitch"

As if a government that wants to use the power of the state to punish political parties who don't field government approved candidates at elections gives a damn about democracy.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/co...s-2806204.html

And a few headlines:
    SunTimesIreland
    **In News tomorrow, @sob999 reveals that Dublin city council is pushing on with its plan to drain the Shannon. Or pump water out of it anyway

on tomorrow's front page, we reveal that a Fianna Fail senator told a security official in the Passport Office he was "lucky to have a job"
    That was Mary White FF getting shirty while checking the status of a friend's passport application. TDs and Senators used to have a fast track application system in the Passport Office but it was withdrawn last year during the strike. It seems the government doesn't intend to reinstate it.

That was Mary White FF getting shirty while checking the status of a friend's passport application. TDs and Senators used to have a fast track application system in the Passport Office but it was withdrawn last year during the strike. It seems the government doesn't intend to reinstate it.
    Apparently, she claimed she was asking on behalf of a constituent.

Do Senator's have constituents??

White reportedly went to the office to inquire about a friend’s passport application, and was unhappy when she was told she was not privy to the information.

She then entered the security office near the entrance to the building to retrieve a telephone number, but was asked to step away. It’s believed she then told a member of the security staff that he was “lucky to have a job”.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/senator-mar...63832-Jun2011/
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

I wouldn't mind knowing who was it she was representing. I've seen comments that it was a 'constituent's acquaintance' or relative or something.

Senators don't have constituents, mind... also I believe the bould Senator Lary Mite now claims she can't remember being told to leave the passport office or any altercation.

No sign of any sueing though. She's off to a flyer in her Presidential campaign though isn't she?

She's never been elected to anything- twice an appointee to the Senate. No councillor or TD background. Nada.

Perhaps she thought she might need a passport for the Aras.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post

She's never been elected to anything- twice an appointee to the Senate. No councillor or TD background. Nada.
    And the person working in the passport office was lucky to have a job!
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

A couple of headlines from @FrankSunTimes:
    Post: Study says state would have to pump another €5bn into banks if upward only rent reviews are banned. Commissioned by interested party

Sindo says Joan Burton has FIRED Michael Healy-Rae from the Citizens Information Board.

Post: 200,000 mortgage holders to be hit with rate hike in excess of increase by ECB this week

A couple of headlines from @FrankSunTimes:
    Post: Study says state would have to pump another €5bn into banks if upward only rent reviews are banned. Commissioned by interested party

Sindo says Joan Burton has FIRED Michael Healy-Rae from the Citizens Information Board.

Post: 200,000 mortgage holders to be hit with rate hike in excess of increase by ECB this week
    Here's the Healy Rae story

JOAN Burton has fired Michael Healy-Rae from the governing body of the Citizens' Information Board.

Last Friday, in the aftermath of the Celebrities Go Wild phone-line story, the Kerryman became the first TD to be removed from a State board under new legislation.
    The Minister for Social Protection used her new powers to dismiss Mr Healy-Rae from his €5,895-a-year Citizens' Information Board nixer.

Speaking to the Sunday Independent this weekend, Ms Burton said: "There is a letter in the post to him today, wishing him well and sending him on his way."

The minister said she had written to him twice, requesting his resignation and informing him that it was ''standard practice'' and a feature of "good governance on all boards that when a member becomes a TD, they resign''.

But in the light of the TD's continued refusal to quit, the minister said she was compelled "to write to him on Friday, telling him his appointment was terminated".
    Mr Healy-Rae suggested that the minister's decision to remove him was informed by her desire to appoint her own political cronies to the board.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-n...r-2811973.html

Quote:
    Mr Healy-Rae suggested that the minister's decision to remove him was informed by her desire to appoint her own political cronies to the board.
    I remember hearing Pat Rabitte on the radio defending the crony system, a year or so ago, saying that "you have to reward people who helped you get elected".

We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    I remember hearing Pat Rabitte on the radio defending the crony system, a year or so ago, saying that "you have to reward people who helped you get elected".

We shall see.
    A year ago FG officially announced that they would have a crony swap if they got into government and Lab policy is to do whatever FG tells them.

http://www.politicalworld.org/showthread.php?t=3072

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    a crony swap
    Deadly!

Default Maidir Le: What's in the Sunday Papers ?

John Burns

Best story in Sindo is typicall buried in Business (just like Fas exclusive). EPA has spent thousands on opera, yo-yos, puppets, cookery
    87k sponsering Wexford Opera, and 8k on corporate tickets. Staff went on a treasure hunt

Really really hate to complain but can we not start a new thread for the Sunday papers every Saturday night, and then close the previous weeks one, it would make much easier reading. I say this because I absolutely love this thread but hate wading through it to find the current stuff.Sorry if I'm a moan

Default Re: Maidir Le: What's in the Sunday Papers ?

Quote Originally Posted by FIVE View Post
    John Burns
    Ha! The EPA has an incredibly expensive looking "iconic" building in Wexford. They have got sucked in to the local culture....

Quote Originally Posted by jinnyjoe View Post
    Really really hate to complain but can we not start a new thread for the Sunday papers every Saturday night, and then close the previous weeks one, it would make much easier reading. I say this because I absolutely love this thread but hate wading through it to find the current stuff.Sorry if I'm a moan
    We used to do that, but it was too much like hard work.... What I do is start at the end and work backwards..

Page 11 of 252 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast