Page 1 of 227 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 3398

Thread: What's in the Sunday Papers ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,062

    Default What's in the Sunday Papers ?

    Just off to get them. Only an hour late...
    News on RTE
    10 million times the legal limit nuclear contamination at Fukushima. Meltdown? Fuel rods burning?
    Tens of thousands demonstrating against nuclear poer. yesterday in Germany just before the elections.
    NATO providing air support to opposition forces in Libya. US critics saying beyond their mission.
    Reports on yesterday's big demonstration in London.

    Roddy Doyle and his parents on Miriam meets. Father talking about mixing ground glass into poster paste for FF election posters to stop the Guards tearing them down. Very emotional about 'betrayal' by FF whivh he put down to human nature.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 10-04-2011 at 08:08 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    22,431

    Default Re: Whats in the Sunday Papers

    Story on front page of the SBP saying that John Bruton 'refused to probe doubts over award of license'.
    Bruton was very close to Lowry at the time. Could be an interesting one.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,062

    Default Re: Whats in the Sunday Papers

    Front page of the Daily Mail - "Kenny's right hand man was Lowry's top aide".

    This is about someone called Mark Kennelly, who was Special Adviser (does that mean paid by the public purse, by FG or by Lowry) from 1995-6. He gave evidence in the McCracken Tribunal - something to do with representations Lowry made on behalf of Dunne in a Court case.

    Mark Kennelly is now Enda Kenny's chef de cabinet. The Mail claims this is "hugely embarrassing for Fine Gael". Undeniably, there are questions to ask of that whole FG/Lab Cabinet and all associated with the licence process, but given that FF effectively took Lowry in, I don't think they can be asked by FF.

    Kennelly according to the Mail advises Kenny on policy and on public appearances and was involved with the negotiations with Labour.

    There are a number of anonymous FG sources quoted. Is this genuine concern or prep for an eventual heave?

    "..a widespread internal disquiet at Mr. Kennelly's close relationship with Mr. Lowry and Mr. Kenny." Surprise and shock was expressed by this source about Kennelly's appointment.

    "Another concerned Fine Gael TD said "Kennelly is one of a troika - Kenny, Kennelly and Phil Hogan, that has controlled the party since last summer's heave." Kennelly appears to have worked professionally as a researcher and policy adviser to Fine Gael from before 1995 to the present.

    Kennelly went to Brussels and Helsinki with Kenny and some might be inclined to assume that he pulls the strings that open and shut Enda Kenny's mouth.

    The story was written by John Lee.

    I suppose Kennelly is now working on how Enda Kenny will handle this controversy, and his apparent unpopularity in some parts of FG.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 27-03-2011 at 11:23 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    heart of Europe
    Posts
    22,388

    Default Re: Whats in the Sunday Papers

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Front page of the Daily Mail - "Kenny's right hand man was Lowry's top aide".

    This is about someone called Mark Kennelly, who was Special Adviser (does that mean paid by the public purse, by FG or by Lowry) from 1995-6. He gave evidence in the McCracken Tribunal - something to do with representations Lowry made on behalf of Dunne in a Court case.

    Mark Kennelly is now Enda Kenny's chef de cabinet. The Mail claims this is "hugely embarrassing for Fine Gael". Undeniably, there are questions to ask of that whole FG/Lab Cabinet and all associated with the licence process, but given that FF effectively took Lowry in, I don't think they can be asked by FF.

    Kennelly according to the Mail advises Kenny on policy and on public appearances and was involved with the negotiations with Labour.

    There are a number of anonymous FG sources quoted. Is this genuine concern or prep for an eventual heave?

    "..a widespread internal disquiet at Mr. Kennelly's close relationship with Mr. Lowry and Mr. Kenny." Surprise and shock was expressed by this source about Kennelly's appointment.

    "Another concerned Fine Gael TD said "Kennelly is one of a troika - Kenny, Kennelly and Phil Hogan, that has controlled the party since last summer's heave." Kennelly appears to have worked professionally as a researcher and policy adviser to Fine Gael from before 1995 to the present.

    Kennelly went to Brussels and Helsinki with Kenny and some might be inclined to assume that he pulls the strings that open and shut Enda Kenny's mouth.

    The story was written by John Lee.

    I suppose Kennelly is now working on how Enda Kenny will handle this controversy, and his apparent unpopularity in some parts of FG.
    These "special advisor" jobs need to go. There are enough civil servants to advise the government (regardless of who is in power). Those elected to govern should be able to govern without the use and cost of special aides pulling their strings

    I wonder who makes up Kenny's kitchen cabinet. Kenny, our latest Taoiseach who inherited his seat and has been a TD for far too long. I think a 2 term limit on TD's would be healthy for democracy

    If Cowen lost some weight and developed a Mayo accent would you really be able to tell the difference?
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Swords
    Posts
    1,556

    Default Re: Whats in the Sunday Papers

    I don't get the Sunday papers so thanks C.Flower.

    There was a time I did and spent nearly the whole morning plowing through The Sunday Times. Then Murdoch came along!!!
    We are all insane animals existing for a time on an obviously unfinished planet.
    www.irelandtoo.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    787

    Default Re: Whats in the Sunday Papers

    Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe McGillycuddy View Post
    Story on front page of the SBP saying that John Bruton 'refused to probe doubts over award of license'.
    Bruton was very close to Lowry at the time. Could be an interesting one.
    Bruton is close with Desmond more importantly

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,062

    Default Re: Whats in the Sunday Papers

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Lee View Post
    Bruton is close with Desmond more importantly
    Have they worked on joint projects or boards ?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7,492

    Default Re: Whats in the Sunday Papers

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Have they worked on joint projects or boards ?
    They've both worked on the "Recovery Document" submitted to the new Government that is very recent

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    in the national interest
    Posts
    17,667

    Default Re: Whats in the Sunday Papers

    Quote Originally Posted by c. Flower View Post
    have they worked on joint projects or boards ?
    ifsc?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,062

    Default Re: Whats in the Sunday Papers

    Quote Originally Posted by FIVE View Post
    ifsc?
    ah.

    Was Bruton involved in the set up too ?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    in the national interest
    Posts
    17,667

    Default Re: Whats in the Sunday Papers

    No that was Charlie I think.
    Bruton is head honcho now though and I assume the kaiser would have some say?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    22,431

    Default Re: Whats in the Sunday Papers

    The ST today reports that the legal team for Persona(the consortium led by Tony Boyle which finished behind Esat in the competition for the mobile license) are seeking a transcript of the Denis O'Brien interview with Pat Kenny on Friday.
    Boyle has been advised that he may have suffered 'reputational damage' from comments made.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,062

    Default Re: Whats in the Sunday Papers

    So, the Sunday Independent is behind a paywall. Is it worth it, when the front page leads on a story that the Cabinet wasn't consulted on the Bank Guarantee- something already well known and reported.
    Also on the front page, Garret Fitzgerald, a pioneer of banking "debt forgiveness" from which he benefited to the tune of 1 million, having a hissy fit with David McWilliams over the issue of debt forgiveness.

    Irony, much.

    I may pick up a paper or two later.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    3,845

    Default Re: Whats in the Sunday Papers

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    So, the Sunday Independent is behind a paywall. ....
    Irish "boradsheet" newspapers are way too expensive. I never buy one. And the "tabloids" are pure junk.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    22,431

    Default Re: Whats in the Sunday Papers

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    So, the Sunday Independent is behind a paywall. Is it worth it, when the front page leads on a story that the Cabinet wasn't consulted on the Bank Guarantee- something already well known and reported.
    Also on the front page, Garret Fitzgerald, a pioneer of banking "debt forgiveness" from which he benefited to the tune of 1 million, having a hissy fit with David McWilliams over the issue of debt forgiveness.

    Irony, much.

    I may pick up a paper or two later.
    I don't think so, C. I"m clicking my way through it anyway

Page 1 of 227 1231151101 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us