Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has the Taliban Helped or Hindered Imperialism?

Default Re: Has the Taliban Helped or Hindered Imperialism?

The Taliban are monsters. And not one word is said here on this thread about their appalling abuse of women. Horrendous abuse of women. Where the hell do these men get the idea from that women are nothing? If the Taliban had treated all citizens, male and female in a humane way, yes, I would be screaming blue murder over the invasion of their country by so many, and all of the invaders lose, by the way, have we noticed that?

But the Taliban not only take away basic human rights from women and education from girls, they executed them as a form of entertainment, on the word of some bloody man! Then the torture of those who go against them, it's appalling. Awful. I cannot see one good thing about the Taliban. Nothing. I'm terrified of them. They are like demons to me.
    Other people have a nationality. The Jews and the Irish have a psychosis: Brendan Behan

Kev Bar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    The Taliban are monsters. And not one word is said here on this thread about their appalling abuse of women. Horrendous abuse of women. Where the hell do these men get the idea from that women are nothing? If the Taliban had treated all citizens, male and female in a humane way, yes, I would be screaming blue murder over the invasion of their country by so many, and all of the invaders lose, by the way, have we noticed that?

But the Taliban not only take away basic human rights from women and education from girls, they executed them as a form of entertainment, on the word of some bloody man! Then the torture of those who go against them, it's appalling. Awful. I cannot see one good thing about the Taliban. Nothing. I'm terrified of them. They are like demons to me.
    It could be worse Buddha, you could be a Hindu as well...then you're the lowest of the low.
    (Check the Diyya/blood money payment scale on the CIA Pakistan Killings thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Bar View Post
    On the political level, it's a kind of imperialism by default.
    On a commercial level, it's a kind of imperialism by allure.

The absence of any pressure for moral grandstanding is a huge benefit to its acceptance and thereby its growth.

And what's really ironic is the fact that China's ability to evade all the drama that accusations of hypocracy entail gives it a smoother ride than the other major powers competing with it.

China can sail on in peace while the cyber warriors spend all their time attacking the US.

Perhaps its a question of the supposed moral minority sensing that their prey is vulnerable.

But in a true moral sense, it's a bit fubar.

As the thread is about the Taliban, how would examination of China be relevant to it ?

Kev Bar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    As the thread is about the Taliban, how would examination of China be relevant to it ?
    The thread went a tad serpentine, and as Jim Morrison told me to, I rode the snake.
    He also said "the west is the best."
    But I'm not sure if he meant it.

Sorry I promise to be good in future.

China can sail on in peace while the cyber warriors spend all their time attacking the US.

Perhaps its a question of the supposed moral minority sensing that their prey is vulnerable.
    Possibly also the fact that China does not kill nearly as many people.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Kev Bar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    Apols Sam.
    I have to sit out on this dance.
    I just promised to be good.

Or invade as many countries as the Empire does.
    "It is we the workers who built these palaces and cities here in Spain and in America and everywhere. We, the workers, can build others to take their place. And better ones! We are not in the least afraid of ruins. We are going to inherit the earth; there is not the slightest doubt about that. The bourgeoisie might blast and ruin its own world before it leaves the stage of history. We carry a new world here, in our hearts."
    — Buenaventura Durruti

Default Re: Good Friday Agreement 12 years on: where now for republicanism?

I thought that they were minding their own business in their own country until the Yanks invaded.

What should they have done? Surrendered and handed over the place quietly?
    Minding their own business.....
    Keeping women and girls on their knees...
    Bulldozing girl's schools and blowing up
    Buddhas......
    Beheadings for 'non Islamic activities'....
    Imposing a reign of terror.....
    As long as they're not 'Imperialists' - that's
    all right then!!!!!!!!!
    Whether it's obnoxious creeps like Boers,
    Huns, Nazis, Argies, al Qaeda or Taliban -
    the apologias are always available on tap -
    because they oppose the US and/or Britain....
    My enemies' enemy is my 'friend'.
    You could give the CIA lessons!!!!!!
    And you know that's saying something!!!!
    Spare the crocodile tears if the Taliban
    ever get back in full control....
    The Afghani people are only pawns in your
    geopolitical argument....
    That sounds a bit like what the US are
    often accused of, doesn't it???
    I await the gymnastics if the 'Imperialists'
    help out the Libyan opposition.......

There's plenty of talk about the US making a deal with the Taliban. In the meantime,
    Malalai Joya has been barred from entering the US for a speaking tour "because she lives underground".
    http://www.afghanwomensmission.org/?p=1255

The United States has denied a travel visa to Malalai Joya, an acclaimed women’s rights activist and former member of Afghanistan’s parliament. Ms. Joya, who was named one of TIME magazine’s 100 most influential people in the world in 2010, was set to begin a three-week US tour to promote an updated edition of her memoir, A Woman Among Warlords, published by Scribner, an imprint of Simon & Schuster.
    Joya’s publisher at Scribner, Alexis Gargagliano, said, “We had the privilege to publish Ms. Joya, and her earlier 2009 book tour met with wide acclaim. The right of authors to travel and promote their work is central to freedom of expression and the full exchange of ideas.” Joya’s memoir has been translated into over a dozen languages, and she has toured widely including Australia, the UK, Canada, Norway, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, and the Netherlands in support of the book over the past two years.
    Colleagues of Ms. Joya’s report that when she presented herself as scheduled at the U.S. embassy, she was told she was being denied because she was “unemployed” and “lives underground.” Then 27, Joya was the youngest woman elected to Afghanistan’s parliament in 2005. Because of her harsh criticism of warlords and fundamentalists in Afghanistan, she has been the target of at least five assassination attempts. “The reason Joya lives underground is because she faces the constant threat of death for having had the courage to speak up for women’s rights – it’s obscene that the U.S. government would deny her entry,” said Sonali Kolhatkar of the Afghan Women’s Mission, a U.S. based organization that has hosted Joya for speaking tours in the past and is a sponsor of this year’s national tour.
    Joya has also become an internationally known critic of the US-NATO war in Afghanistan. Organizers argue that the denial of Joya’s visa appears to be a case of what the American Civil Liberties Union describes as “Ideological Exclusion,” which they say violates Americans’ First Amendment right to hear constitutionally protected speech by denying foreign scholars, artists, politicians and others entry to the United States.

Yes! But when the Soviets ran the country, in a very short time women were wearing western cloths and going to university! Yes the same old reactionary plutocratic western imperialist countries, have help the Taliban!

[/B]
    That's very loose stuff Anti.

There are other factors at play too outside of oil/gas.
    Keeping Pakistan on board.
    Keeping the Northern Alliance on board.
    Keeping Russia/Iran/India from gaining too much influence re their backing of the Nothern Alliance.

Keeping Iran in check

(Remember the Taliban and the Mullahs were mortal enemies.
    The Taliban wiped out the Iranian comnsular staff in Mazar i Sharif.
    Iran molbilsed its army and nearly invaded Afghanistan in response)
    Drawing the Taliban in with an aim to get Al Qaeda out.

The sitaution was way more complex than any one line of conspiracy wld suggest.
    You're missing a couple of points though Kevin- the Russians didn't want to get drawn into Afghan politics again, while the Iranians supported their own faction whose armed forces were separate from those of the Northern Alliance. I'm aware of the difficulties with taking just one line of approach to the Afghanistan question, but the reason why the pipeline has been left in a form of half-life was the switching of priorities from Afghanistan to Iraq from mid-2002 onwards, combined with the deteriorating security situation.
    Нооруз пиээ пурылыа выиттыа

'Our goal is to conquer state power for the Irish working class'
    Pat Rabitte, 1987

"Can I ask whether this is what the men of 1916 died for: a bailout from the German chancellor with a few shillings of sympathy from the British chancellor on the side?"
    Michael Noonan, November 2010

Kev Bar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by antiestablishmentarian View Post
    You're missing a couple of points though Kevin- the Russians didn't want to get drawn into Afghan politics again, while the Iranians supported their own faction whose armed forces were separate from those of the Northern Alliance. I'm aware of the difficulties with taking just one line of approach to the Afghanistan question,
    but the reason why the pipeline has been left in a form of half-life was the switching of priorities from Afghanistan to Iraq from mid-2002 onwards, combined with the deteriorating security situation.
    The problems of mono topic analysis was all that I too was trying to highlight.

And then the number of hands behind the "deteriorating security situation" could propel us back to an equally complex square one.

(@Sam - sometimes a good unapologetic, un PR filtered 'happening" like Tiannemen Sq can be quite effective. Which brings me back to the thesis that China is not too hampered by optics)
    Last edited by Kev Bar; 22-03-2011 at 05:32 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123