Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: East Antrim Constituency

Default Re: East Antrim Constituency

Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post

I say this because Moore himself is an ex Foreign Legion Soldier, served with the RIR/British Army and Loyalists working class youth throughout the 80's onwards were encouraged to join these forces by the then National Front [NF] before their split which incarnated the BNP.

Seems to be an outright Nazi if this article is in any way correct.

http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/news/a...-rotten-racist

Is he Irish?
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    Seems to be an outright Nazi if this article is in any way correct.

http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/news/a...-rotten-racist

Is he Irish?
    The TUV sounds charming, too.

Another of the candidates is former Traditional Unionist Voice candidate Ann Cooper who caused controversy when she gave support to seven customs workers who were sacked for deliberately underpaying ethnic minorities.

She said the sacked workers deserved a medal!

Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    What sort of social characteristics are in this area? Like would the rural communities be fairly mixed between nationalist and unionists with the main urban centres staunchly unionist? I get the impression Larne and Carrickfergus are sh1tholes so is it a fairly disadvantged area as well, along with Newtownabbey...they seem to be environment in which BNP thrives.
    In my experience of London these people come out of the barrow boy, clerk, small business layer, not poor or working class, in the main. Perhaps things are different in Ireland ?

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    In my experience of London these people come out of the barrow boy, clerk, small business layer, not poor or working class, in the main. Perhaps things are different in Ireland ?
    Don't know to be honest Cactus, I just always presumed UDA ground would be ripe for these types.

Don't know to be honest Cactus, I just always presumed UDA ground would be ripe for these types.
    That whole area is an interesting one. The political wings of both the UDA and UVF were left-leaning on the face of it but that never pleased many in the grass-roots.

'They 5hit in a shed in the Shankill, same as the Falls' said my Uncle and yet working class Loyalists were happy to be used as fodder for the Unionist parties who allowed them to parade behind the Lodge to the field but washed their hands of them when they were finished exploiting their muscle.

The Loyal anomaly.
    http://ancruiskeenlawnmower.wordpress.com/

If dreams were lightning, thunder was desire, this whole place would have burned down, a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 5intheface View Post
    That whole area is an interesting one. The political wings of both the UDA and UVF were left-leaning on the face of it but that never pleased many in the grass-roots.

'They 5hit in a shed in the Shankill, same as the Falls' said my Uncle and yet working class Loyalists were happy to be used as fodder for the Unionist parties who allowed them to parade behind the Lodge to the field but washed their hands of them when they were finished exploiting their muscle.

The Loyal anomaly.
    Very interesting. Like Irvine and co would have been left minded but the Orange wave seemed too strong. Wouldn't mind reading something on it. McKay does point out in her book though that the Protestant mentality seemed to be to always know your betters and your place, ya know when she says that during the first 40 years of NI how the Anglo-Irish class were the ones looked to by the ordinary Protestant for leadership. Wonder is the loyal anomaly you mention a remnant of that?

Very interesting. Like Irvine and co would have been left minded but the Orange wave seemed too strong. Wouldn't mind reading something on it. McKay does point out in her book though that the Protestant mentality seemed to be to always know your betters and your place, ya know when she says that during the first 40 years of NI how the Anglo-Irish class were the ones looked to by the ordinary Protestant for leadership. Wonder is the loyal anomaly you mention a remnant of that?
    Very likely. I've heard various Unionists make agreeable noises about the working man but when it comes to foreign policy, immigration and the death penalty, they go all Nucky Powell on you!

If dreams were lightning, thunder was desire, this whole place would have burned down, a long time ago.

That's off topic, put it in the North Antrim thread immediately!

When my aunt married and moved to North Antrim in the late 50s, she was mad for trad music and the only place she could find a sessiun in the area was in an Orange hall. She told me she was sure she was the only Catholic there until a man in a trilby and spats introduced himself. McIlhatton.
    I worked with an auld covenanter that lived down the lane from Mc Ilhatton. When he was a fairly burley young boy, the same McIlhatton called to the door and asked his father could he take the son to a funeral. The father said surely he could, much to his son's bemusement. So off they went down the glenariffe til they reached the water fall in the middle. Mc Illhatton pulled the car up at the side of the road and said to the young fella 'We're here'. They jumped out of the car and McIlhatton pops the boot and there's a dead goat . Mc Ilhatton tells the young boy to grab the front feet and they hoy it over the fence. Mcilhatton says a short 'Sé do bheatha' , tells the former to 'Dún an doras ' and off home they head home.

Quote Originally Posted by Lá an Lúbáin View Post
    I worked with an auld covenanter that lived down the lane from Mc Ilhatton. When he was a fairly burley young boy, the same McIlhatton called to the door and asked his father could he take the son to a funeral. The father said surely he could, much to his son's bemusement. So off they went down the glenariffe til they reached the water fall in the middle. Mc Illhatton pulled the car up at the side of the road and said to the young fella 'We're here'. They jumped out of the car and McIlhatton pops the boot and there's a dead goat . Mc Ilhatton tells the young boy to grab the front feet and they hoy it over the fence. Mcilhatton says a short 'Sé do bheatha' , tells the former to 'Dún an doras ' and off home they head home.
    What?
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

What?
    true story. He lived down the lane from McIlhatton. The same fellah informed me that Prince Naseem lost his title because he said he was a better boxer than God. A similar rationale was employed to justify the sinking of the Titanic. I just thought he was another born again lula until he started recounting his childhood days around Newtowncrommelin. It's a true story. The funeral being the tossing of the goat over the waterfall. Bizarre as bizarre could be, particularly given that he, McIlhatton, went onto achieve noteriety through the song in his honour.

Quote Originally Posted by Lá an Lúbáin View Post
    . The funeral being the tossing of the goat over the waterfall.
    Ah, of course. Sorry, a bit slow tonight.

Was his drink any good?

Luckily Glenariffe waterfall has just been moved into the East Antrim Constituency and we are officially back on topic.

Was his drink any good?
    Strain before consumption

or

strain after with Consumption.

You could tell the quality of a man's still by the severity of the fines imposed.

Was his drink any good?
    Funny that he was better known locally in his time for his excellent Irish and love of traditional dress and music. As far as I heard, it was pass remarkable and nothing compared to the south derry 'banshsa' vintage.

You could tell the quality of a man's still by the severity of the fines imposed.
    I hope the water didn't come from anywhere near that waterfall. Don't they eat goat up your way?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast