Page 7 of 111 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Discovering Ireland.

Default Re: Discovering Ireland.

www.pdphoto.org

The drive along lough Erne from Enniskillen is absolutely beautiful. Must take another trip and visit Devinish island seen above. Access to the top of the round tower is possible.

Now there's a tip for Clondalkin.

As a small boy went to the tower cinema in Clondalkin. Hard seats! Saw "The Sniper" film there 1954?
    We are all insane animals existing for a time on an obviously unfinished planet.
    www.irelandtoo.com

Red Admiral on Buddleja bush in the garden - pic from 2009.

I get a great display of Red Admirals and Peacock Butterflies every year in the garden - at least since the mid-80s.

Then the local authority was spraying the road with some kind of toxic weedkiller - I rushed into a patch of thistles and nettles (which had hairy-mollies and pupae on their leaves and cut the plants out and brought them home to my garden in a bucket and deposited them in the wild plant section AKA weeds! Ever since I've had those two butterfly species in the garden.

I have a pic from 2005 which I must dig out of 20 or so Peacock butterflies in the thistle patch.
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Lovely photo Andrew49. A few years ago we had loads of butterflies because of our Buddlei shrubs in four colours. Not so many Red Admirals or any butterflies in recent years.
    Here's Swords round tower built in th fourteenth century. Photo taken this afternoon.

We had a tour to the top about 20 years ago and learnt all about the village from the church caretaker. He knew everyone and every home in the village!
    We are all insane animals existing for a time on an obviously unfinished planet.
    www.irelandtoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by MauriceColgan View Post
    Lovely photo Andrew49. A few years ago we had loads of butterflies because of our Buddlei shrubs in four colours. Not so many Red Admirals or any butterflies in recent years.
    Here's Swords round tower built in th fourteenth century. Photo taken this afternoon.

We had a tour to the top about 20 years ago and learnt all about the village from the church caretaker. He knew everyone and every home in the village!
    Is this a new camera Maurice? Nice photos!

Yes Junius we purchased it a few days ago. Thanks. Hope to take plenty of photos this summer, on our travels.
    www.irelandtoo.com

That's a discovery for me - I never knew Swords had a Round Tower!

I can never understand the term 'wildlife' - surely they mean 'Living things who never
    tire of the voyage of discovery' - A tamed life is, to me, a life of unquestioning boredom!

This idyllic setting is just mere yards from from Ferryhouse ...
    not only a bridge with the fast flowing River Suir but behind me
    is the ruin of a castle.

Ferryhouse is just behind the tall trees on the right of the picture.
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Your lovely butterfly photos remind me that today I was sitting beside a lake in Mayo watching one of those regular orange/brown butterflies with loads of patterns on their wings (are they called tortoiseshell butterflies?) sitting in the sun with outspread wings on the dead pampas grass. Surely March is a bit early for them to be out? Had no camera on me!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    That's a discovery for me - I never knew Swords had a Round Tower!

I can never understand the term 'wildlife' - surely they mean 'Living things who never
    tire of the voyage of discovery' - A tamed life is, to me, a life of unquestioning boredom!

This idyllic setting is just mere yards from from Ferryhouse ...
    not only a bridge with the fast flowing River Suir but behind me
    is the ruin of a castle.

Ferryhouse is just behind the tall trees on the right of the picture.

Some Irish birds for you Maurice ........
    These were all taken in Galway City on the Corrib.

Male Mallard Duck (Anas platyrhynchos).

Black Headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus).

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) Flying.

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) Landing.
    Last edited by Munnkeyman; 24-03-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Thanks Munnkeyman, lovely photos, and such clear colourful images! Must try the estuary close by, there are usually huge flocks of swans and waders there. Even those rogues, the Herons!
    www.irelandtoo.com

The leaning Tower of Swords.

Andrew49, Just after the second set of traffic lights as you enter Swords from the Dublin direction take the first turn on the left and you will see it at the top of the hill. The front. This photo was taken at the rear.
    www.irelandtoo.com

Large Irish yew tree 'eats' a gravestone in St Colmcille's graveyard, Swords county Dublin. Photo taken an hour ago.
    www.irelandtoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Junius View Post
    Your lovely butterfly photos remind me that today I was sitting beside a lake in Mayo watching one of those regular orange/brown butterflies with loads of patterns on their wings (are they called tortoiseshell butterflies?) sitting in the sun with outspread wings on the dead pampas grass. Surely March is a bit early for them to be out? Had no camera on me!
    It's around now you'd see tortoiseshell butterflies - particularly the small ones. I'd revisit that area as you're likely to see butterfly wars - male tortoiseshell butterflies congregate in gangs and are aggressive towards encroaching male tortoiseshell butterflies!

Smashing set of pics Munnkeyman - particularly the swan in flight.

Large Irish yew tree 'eats' a gravestone in St Colmcille's graveyard, Swords county Dublin. Photo taken an hour ago.

Fabulous, Maurice. I've read that old yews in a graveyard in Ireland often means that it may well be a pre-Christian site. Also, that yew trees can be very old, hundreds of years old. That's a nice one.

Thanks Munnkeyman, lovely photos, and such clear colourful images! Must try the estuary close by, there are usually huge flocks of swans and waders there. Even those rogues, the Herons!
    You're welcome Maurice. I have loads more but I don't want to pollute your thread.
    Time and timing is the key, you'll have to sit around for an hour or two, bloody animals never pose. The more shots you take the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    Smashing set of pics Munnkeyman - particularly the swan in flight.
    Cheers Andrew, the stars and animals are all I'm good at. I can't/refuse to take pictures of people.

That's a great shot Maurice, a yew tree in a graveyard, I wonder how old that tree is?

Page 7 of 111 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast