Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Japan Hit by 8.9 Earthquake and Tsunami- Serious Damage to Nuclear Plant

Default Re: Japan Hit by 8.9 Earthquake and Tsunami

Just been through a local electricity blackout.....what a time!

I guess I must have seen dozens of TV Documentaries on Earthquakes and Tsunamis over the decades. But nothing like this, and the last one. Horrific events.

C.Flower and Buddha, my pleasure.

Children are now witnessing nightmares on our TV screens. They will be far tougher than we are. But what a loss of innocence.

The Japanese people are used to major natural disasters, so there's quite a degree of preparedness for such events in the wider society. That said though, that preparedness does not make the loss of loved ones or the economic dislocation any easier to deal with personally for the average Japanese so affected. The Kobe earthquake of 1993 killed over 2,000 people, but did not create tsunamis of the scale of this monster quake. Terrible as this event may be, it still may not exceed in destruction in Japan the toll wrought by the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923, the worst natural disaster to befall Japan in modern times. As with so many around the world today, my sympathies are with the Japanese people and I hope the country can make a quick recovery from this horrendous disaster.

1923 Great Kanto Earthquake - From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "It is we the workers who built these palaces and cities here in Spain and in America and everywhere. We, the workers, can build others to take their place. And better ones! We are not in the least afraid of ruins. We are going to inherit the earth; there is not the slightest doubt about that. The bourgeoisie might blast and ruin its own world before it leaves the stage of history. We carry a new world here, in our hearts."
    — Buenaventura Durruti

Any announcements of numbers of people killed are pretty meaningless at this stage, but tens of thousands are missing.

The figure of 88,000 has been given by a Japanese news agency.

Not sure if this has been posted already but this Vid shows the frightening power behind this particular tsunami and the trail of destruction

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    Low lying parts of British Columbia (particularly Vancouver Island) are being evacuated at the moment. Small Tsunami wave expected in about an hour.
    No biggie. Water rise of less than a metre.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

According to the BBC, 300 confirmed dead and 500 missing at time of posting. Those figures are going to rise a lot lot more.

This is truly frightening.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/BBC Asia Pacific
    Last edited by Kid Ryder; 11-03-2011 at 04:06 PM.
    "It is we the workers who built these palaces and cities here in Spain and in America and everywhere. We, the workers, can build others to take their place. And better ones! We are not in the least afraid of ruins. We are going to inherit the earth; there is not the slightest doubt about that. The bourgeoisie might blast and ruin its own world before it leaves the stage of history. We carry a new world here, in our hearts."
    — Buenaventura Durruti

A second train confirmed missing in the wake of the tsunami. Oh my...
    — Buenaventura Durruti

Radiation level rising in Fukushima nuclear plant, I'm no expert but that cant be good?

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/76871.html

The US is apparently rushing coolant to Japan.

Footage on the news is just mental.

AP: Japan says pressure rising at nuclear reactorafter cooling system failure
    Reuters saying that there may be some release of vapour to reduce pressure.

The speed of the waves hitting the houses were unbelievable. Nature at it's height and power leash their loose forces where the humans stood helpless with fear.

I recall visiting Phi Phi island off the coast of southern Thailand as mighty power of nature almost single handly destroyed that island.

I fear for the people in Japan especially Northern east Japan coastline.

I wonder was Christchurch quake was a precusor to the next one (Japan)?

Unbelievable power of the sea.

Oh dear re this one below as it doesn't look good:

US Geological Survey says this morning's earthquake caused a rupture in the Earth's crust 150 miles long and 50 miles across.

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast