Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: "Heave beginning against Enda" (Contingency Thread)

Default Re: "Heave beginning against Enda" (Contingency Thread)

never mind varadker and covney they should pick mitchell oconnor for the laugh.... and it would keep her from drivin as well....

Looks like Leo. All one can say he could be better than Coveney.

But, we are in for a (short??) period of extreme Irish style right wing politics. More of the same, roll on the revolution, with three parties contending maybe we will get some relief?

Varadkar's policy announcement leaves no room for doubt that he will lead a right-wing backlash against public services and the welfare state.

The most worrying part of that is it will probably work. I predict a FG victory in an election later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardbouvet View Post
    Varadkar's policy announcement leaves no room for doubt that he will lead a right-wing backlash against public services and the welfare state.

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardbouvet View Post
    The most worrying part of that is it will probably work. I predict a FG victory in an election later this year.
    What do you base that view on? The long term trend for FF/FG/Labour shows a long term declining trend.

I see no public appetite for far right Thatcherite Tory politics.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcTK7xPWwAQ7dAb.jpg
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

You almost want it to be Varadkar just so he can be kicked out of office when the next election rolls around.

If Enda Kenny's tax cut/keep the recovery going was too rightwing for most Irish people (66% of those who voted), they ain't seen nothing yet.

I predict this fella will be 10 times as unpopular as Kenny outside his middle class Dublin base. FG will lose at least 10 more seats and that will be the end of Leo.

Varadkar though is far more dangerous to the lives of ordinary people than any other major politician atm. It really could be Ireland's Thatcher moment if we are not careful. Luckily he hasn't got much of a leg to stand on in office atm and we have a chance with an election within the next 6-12 months I would say.

You would think someone from a gay and immigrant background would be less rightwing, not more rightwing than the typical FGer. What a smug prick. He doesn't even need to be in O' Brien's pocket as his policies will benefit the likes of D.O.B. et al anyways.
    Last edited by Apjp; 22-05-2017 at 08:42 PM.

Who are the so-called Independents rooting for ?

If there was a general election called, what would the result be ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

If Varadkar tries the "essential services" = no strikes trick he will get a kick up the hole. However, the result of the GE will be a deckchairs on the Titanic event, FF depending on FG and/or SF to govern. In a no strikes scenario SF will do well.

Certainly Leo will move even more right than now, but it is hard to see whether he can generate more FG support from it. Even if he waits until after Brexit, he will have problems, probably even more problems. He can only improve if he dishes out money, but the EC controls that.

There is a huge appetite out there for anti-union, anti-welfare politics. I think the left are in imminent danger of being caught on the hop. Complacent dismissal of Vlad's policies as a niche product would be a disastrous mistake.

In case anyone was wondering who would bethe first to play the gay card it was Jimmy Reilly

I wonder if Jimmy would have similar concerns about a straight person without children

Sunday Times News: James Reilly says Simon Coveney "understands what it means to rear a young family" and to "bear the cost of childcare
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    In case anyone was wondering who would bethe first to play the gay card it was Jimmy Reilly

I wonder if Jimmy would have similar concerns about a straight person without children
    You're excluding Coveney's "Leo looks good in lycra" comment ?
    http://extra.ie/news/irish-news/fine...husting-dublin
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526