Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: American ignorance in world affairs

Default Re: American ignorance in world affairs

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Also, well said. Doubt that I need to encourage you.
    Thank you and no you don't need to encourage me. What I am shocked at is this thread is currently five pages mostly of negative comments about a whole nation of people -it is also a civilised nation of many peoples from all over the world and it affords them more oppurtunity and freedom than other nations where a woman cannot even walk out into the street --the Universal home of freedom -of her own free will; and where little girls may never have the oppurtunity to learn basic reading skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    The majority of ordinary Americans are remarkably ignorant of world affairs and there is no argument about that. This is not their fault - it is the fault of the society they are raised in. Irish people are much better informed generally - culchie or not.

The vast majority of Americans have no knowledge of even basic world geography as surveys have repeatedly revealed.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...geography.html

Despite nearly constant news coverage since the war there began in 2003, 63 percent of Americans aged 18 to 24 failed to correctly locate the country on a map of the Middle East. Seventy percent could not find Iran or Israel.

And 54 percent were unaware that Sudan is a country in Africa.

Remember the December 2004 tsunami and the widespread images of devastation in Indonesia?

Three-quarters of respondents failed to find that country on a map. And three-quarters were unaware that a majority of Indonesia's population is Muslim, making it the largest Muslim country in the world.

I will never forget seeing a black American soldier interviewed on TV after the invasion of Grenada saying how shocked he was to find himself killing black people like himself. I'm not sure who he thought lived in Grenada - yellow people?
    I would be very surprised if the majority of people in any state could find Indonesia and Grenada on a map. I guess that like most people, Americans know the countries with which they have land borders and after that it gets progressively more vague.

Proverb or rumor? “No one ever went broke underestimating the stupidity of the American public”.

Sure, you can find lot’s of embarrassing examples of ignorance/stupidity, (thank the first amendment), but if you look, you can also find a lot of very sophisticated conversation, some you’ll agree with, some not. The marketplace of ideas is fairly healthy in the US. I’ve lived in Wash DC for twenty years, and granted, “inside the beltway” just like NYC, is not representative of the country as a whole, but in general, I find the level of Public Policy debate in the US to be much superior to what I see/hear in Europe. Alternative views given When I lived in Ireland, used to think “Today” on BBC R4 (Brian Redhead and John Timpson days), was great, now, I rarely listen, it seems so dummied down. I note that many on this board cite US sources.
    I kind of agree with you.There is a silly prejudice against the States
    on the matter of intelligent debate,and while, if you are counting numbers,
    and their level of power in the world it is correct to say that percentage wise
    they can be pretty dumb,but again, there is a level of almost genius among
    many, which puts Europe and British Canada to shame,for again the French side,
    is ahead of the pragmatic p.c. anglo culture.
    Last edited by underheaven; 13-04-2011 at 05:32 PM.

Note the title of the video, "Ric Mercer speaks with Americans" Canadians are North Americans also. Meself, when I want to find out what's goin on in the world I head straight to the Dublin Evening Herald, and if I don't find what I'm lookin fer, I go directly to Page Three of the Sun!
    Now we know where your brains are,and it gives me an opportunity to
    comment on the low level of culture taught in English schools,and the total lack of curiosity of most English to the history and culture of even Europe where that live.
    I remember a documentary about 15 years ago about expat Brits in
    Spain ,and yes they loved it .The weather ,the cheap sangria,the cheaper houses ,the low crime etc etc,
    but what did they not like about it ?
    Well I nearly fell off the sofa laughing when she [it was a she], said,
    'well the only problem really is ,there are too many Spanish !'
    What can you say ?
    Last edited by underheaven; 13-04-2011 at 05:31 PM. Reason: spelling

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWCPAXgrm2U"]YouTube - Stereotypically Dumb/Stupid Americans[/ame]
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

I'm shocked at this xenophobia. It is almost as vicious as the anti-Tipp feeling in Kilkenny

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    I'm shocked at this xenophobia. It is almost as vicious as the anti-Tipp feeling in Kilkenny
    That is Bill Maher. He is a yank. Therefore it is impossible for him to be a xenophobe with regard to yanks.

Wiki:

Xenophobia is defined as the "hatred or fear of foreigners or strangers or of their politics or culture".[1] It comes from the Greek words ξένος (xenos), meaning "stranger," "foreigner" and φόβος (phobos), meaning "fear."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456