Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a Fine Gael Overall Majority On?

Default Re: Is a Fine Gael Overall Majority On?

Varadkar and some other almost elected FG head were pushing the stability line, V seemed absolutely sure that it was gonna be a FG Labour coalition, but that much "high level" discussion was needed.

FF with their kamikaze campaign handing the majority of seats to FG on a silver plate.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Very difficult to see FG going with the Independents option. Realistically they need a solid buffer of about 10 seats to keep a government going for a full term. Look at the coalition that Bertie cobbled together in 2007. It looked unassailable at the time but eventually crumbled under pressure.
    And for sure there's going to be a lot of pressure on whatever the new government is.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe McGillycuddy View Post
    Very difficult to see FG going with the Independents option.
    Well, a coalition between the two largest party is usually the last resort if neither party can form a government against the other. Expect that argument to be raised in the coming days, anything to keep Labour out.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Aye, all this talk of stable government from the blueshirts and Labour. Coincidentally this too was the refrain of De Parthy and Greena Fáil back in the political mating season of 2007. There was so much rhetoric of 'stable government' that time it got me wondering if there was some secret analogical message in the soundbite, that we were to be reduced to a diet of mainly oats and other 'workhorse' (workhouse?) conditions by this Government of Horses. Will Inda and Gilmore be the ones to apply the whips on our backs this time round?
    "It is we the workers who built these palaces and cities here in Spain and in America and everywhere. We, the workers, can build others to take their place. And better ones! We are not in the least afraid of ruins. We are going to inherit the earth; there is not the slightest doubt about that. The bourgeoisie might blast and ruin its own world before it leaves the stage of history. We carry a new world here, in our hearts."
    — Buenaventura Durruti

Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    Yep, Labour are detested here with FFers prefering blueshirts to them.

I don't think it's as simple as property worshipping parties sticking together. A lot of rural people think Labour are a party of snobs exuding a D4 liberal spray of bullsh!t worthy of any muck spreader.
    Actually, one of the things yer man raised as a black mark on Labour was their propensity to support (gasp!) a tax on property. He quite clearly saw himself as a property owner, and drew up his politics accordingly, though still guided somewhat by his late mammy's opinions.

I asked him did she still get a polling card in the post. He didn't think that was funny at all at all.
    "It is we the workers who built these palaces and cities here in Spain and in America and everywhere. We, the workers, can build others to take their place. And better ones! We are not in the least afraid of ruins. We are going to inherit the earth; there is not the slightest doubt about that. The bourgeoisie might blast and ruin its own world before it leaves the stage of history. We carry a new world here, in our hearts."
    — Buenaventura Durruti

man down

Lowry is now the difference between a FGFF majority and not

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    man down

Lowry is now the difference between a FGFF majority and not

Highly problematic. The pressure on Martin will increase now.

Regards...jmcc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12