Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dermot Desmond and the Irish business elite tell us how to run the country

Default Re: Dermot Desmond Tells Us How to Run the Country

correct Kim Ryder...if we are finally an intelligent electorate now...we must realise that the elected ...for the past decades....have been hand-in-glove with business and banks...to the utter detriment and destruction of future generations of Irish! Any one disagree??

Only one man can save us!

Quote Originally Posted by morticia View Post
    Could we suggest to Mr Desmond that if he would like more influence, perhaps he should go stand for the Dail elections like everyone else?? No-one should be above the rules.

'Twould be interesting to see how many would vote for him
    I'm not sure tax exiles are allowed to stand for election morticia. IMO if they consider supporting their own Country a burden they would do well to keep out of our affairs.

Seems we can now see where Michael got some of his ideas on political reform from. It's interesting that now his Fianna Fail friends are going out of business Mr Desmond wants to see a more powerful opposition. I wonder why he kept that idea quiet for so long.

I also have a feeling he might not be too keen on the FG health policy as he and JP etc. are involved in a lot of private healthcare areas in Ireland

EDIT His full reform pdf here:- http://www.irishtimes.com/focus/2011...plan/index.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ryder View Post
    That'd be equivalent to a demotion for him. Why would he want to be his own messenger boy?
    He wouldn't. Which is why a polite request to either participate in democracy or get lost would successfully result in the latter. On the plus side, if he did decide to participate, perhaps the Rev could come to a settlement with him wrt not being a tax exile any more. Could be lucrative....

Participate in Democracy.....here?? ...Seriously??....Think we'd have to establish a true Democracy first !!!

Is that same guy who resides in Gilbratar for tax purposes telling us his plan's are? He has no creditibility whatsoever as he's a tax exile.

He's worried that the investments (his monies) may drain out of Ireland due to non accountability and non goverance.. also lack of ethics especially in the world of business.

Secondly it was published in a 'FF' paper where madam editor was ex member of now defunct PD's.

Thirdly, Desmond was strongly associated with FF's especially in Haughey's time when he brought up the idea of IFSC. Haughey took it on board and fleshed it out.

ILU (his investment vehicle) have had problems with some of the staff as i recall couple of them left & there was some kind of legal tussle which ended up in London courts.

Dublin North-West - the leading constituency!

The only thing I find odd about this is why Desmond would want to alter in any way a system from which he has profited so much.

Angry Re: Dermot Desmond Tells Us How to Run the Country

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Buddha View Post
    The only thing I find odd about this is why Desmond would want to alter in any way a system from which he has profited so much.
    Nothing odd about it....any changes he ...or his ilk....would make....you can be 100% sure....would be to his, the politicians, their families and pals benefit....without exception !!

A most peculiar Republic indeed ... the only exiles allowed a say in the governance of the country of their birth appear to be tax exiles who refuse to pay tax in Ireland. No representation without taxation Dermot...
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

The notion of the ideas of a greedy [email protected][email protected] (the IFSC is another brain child of his) to reform our political system being publicly entertained is quite sickening. The Icelanders elected a bunch of commoners to write them a new constitution... will we ever get things right?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    A most peculiar Republic indeed ...
    Makes you wonder if economic needs are the only reason for the exodus of young and well educted people. Who would blame them if they leave this place in disgust.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Quote Originally Posted by ang View Post
    I'm not sure tax exiles are allowed to stand for election morticia. IMO if they consider supporting their own Country a burden they would do well to keep out of our affairs.

Seems we can now see where Michael got some of his ideas on political reform from. It's interesting that now his Fianna Fail friends are going out of business Mr Desmond wants to see a more powerful opposition. I wonder why he kept that idea quiet for so long.

I also have a feeling he might not be too keen on the FG health policy as he and JP etc. are involved in a lot of private healthcare areas in Ireland

EDIT His full reform pdf here:- http://www.irishtimes.com/focus/2011...plan/index.pdf
    Thanks for the pdf, Ang. I notice there is a lot of criticism of the opaque nature of government decisions and the lack of transparency. There are suggestions about extending the FOI act and publishing all information in relation to policy and decisions on the web. All fine and laudable stuff.
    I read on in anticipation of a scathing attack on the opacity and secrecy behind the funding of political parties and his recommendations on making all political donations public and verifiable. Emm...
    4. Transparency and Accountability
    The recommendations from the Council of Europe’s Group of States against
    Corruption (GRECO) should be implemented. This would include the
    introduction of legislation to make sure that violations of political funding
    rules are coupled with sanctions. The Electoral Commission should be given
    investigative and sanctioning powers to address these issues.
    That's it

Dublin North-West - the leading constituency!

Quote Originally Posted by whydontwe View Post
    Nothing odd about it....any changes he ...or his ilk....would make....you can be 100% sure....would be to his, the politicians, their families and pals benefit....without exception !!
    But why bother........ the risible collection of know-nothing non-entities called Fianna Fail will do the bidding of Desmond and his ilk in any case. The others are not much different It puts him and his kind at one remove from the political process, yet allows the sediment of the nations gene pool to buy into the FF mythology and claptrap at election time and vote in rubbish time after time.

I can only put his intervention down to a fear that this cosy and chronically corrupt orthodoxy is in danger of irrevocably breaking down if Fianna Fail receive terminal damage on
    Feb. 25th.

I see that there's a short piece on the front page of the SBP which says that a group comprising Dennis O'Brien, Leslie Buckley, John Bruton, and Peter Sutherland along with some other notables has been meeting in recent weeks to formulate plans for political reform and economic recovery.
    They must be salivating at the thought of FG single party government.
    I'll post the link when it goes online.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe McGillycuddy View Post
    I see that there's a short piece on the front page of the SBP which says that a group comprising Dennis O'Brien, Leslie Buckley, John Bruton, and Peter Sutherland along with some other notables has been meeting in recent weeks to formulate plans for political reform and economic recovery.
    They must be salivating at the thought of FG single party government.
    I'll post the link when it goes online.
    Can we just sell Ireland Inc to Goldman Sachs now and cut out the intervening period?
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    Can we just sell Ireland Inc to Goldman Sachs now and cut out the intervening period?
    Or Deutsche Bank... Ottmar Ruoff, handler of one Patrick Bartholomew Ahern, was a top executive at Josef Ackermann's house of gambling before he founded Helvetia Wealth, the Switerland-based investment fond with a vested interest in Irish state assets.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast