Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Theft of laptops from Revenue offices - Evening Herald claims an FF connection

Default Re: Theft of laptops from Revenue offices - Evening Herald claims an FF connection

Incidentally if it were me at the Revenue I would simply form a sub-team to audit those people who were cases for each of the revenue staff whose laptops were stolen.

It would be an excellent way to set up an investigation to see which miscreant dropped some info they shouldn't have known into the exchanges over the aduit (while being audited). Clue number 2 ...
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Default Re: Theft of laptops from Revenue offices - Evening Herald claims an FF connection

Fascinating story.
    Where there's smoke, there is fire.
    Sounds like an inside job to me, planning and excecution.
    Forget about encryption, their inside man will have access to a decryption key. Possessing this information will enable the relevant parties to preempt any perceived threats.

I thought it was some kind of an inside job as they knew the location of the laptops. I wonder was there any CCTV's in that room??

Quote Originally Posted by Fing Fers View Post
    Irelands version of the WTC7? Cant wait for all the scandal to come out when our new leaders get a real chance to look into FF's dirty work. That's if they get a chance.
    More like Oireland Inc.'s Watergate Burglary IMO.
    Last edited by Kid Ryder; 02-02-2011 at 09:06 PM.
    "It is we the workers who built these palaces and cities here in Spain and in America and everywhere. We, the workers, can build others to take their place. And better ones! We are not in the least afraid of ruins. We are going to inherit the earth; there is not the slightest doubt about that. The bourgeoisie might blast and ruin its own world before it leaves the stage of history. We carry a new world here, in our hearts."
    — Buenaventura Durruti

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    I think that can be ruled out. The incident was actually reported on the main evening news on Friday. They said the laptops are all encrypted to the highest standards, as you would expect.

This is either a normal theft (which I doubt, government issued laptops aren't exactly top of the range and used computers don't sell that well and if you take the costs for refurbishing into account, there's no money to be made) or an act to destroy evidence.
    Most laptop (or other very portable black goods - digital cameras, iPhones, etc.) theft is opportunistic. If this theft was for the laptops alone it would be absurd - the effort and planning required to take a number of (chain-secured) laptops from well inside a govt. building would eliminate the financial return from fencing them, and then some. That effort was bent on something far more valuable than the hardware, viz. the data on those laptops' hard drives. It may be of inestimable value to someone or other to have that data, or to have it denied, however temporarily, to the Revenue Commissioners.

This has to be an inside job, regardless of the media spin. And it stinks to heaven regardless too.

I'd wager that those laptops, or their hard drives at least, are destroyed to the highest forensic standards by now.
    Last edited by Kid Ryder; 02-02-2011 at 09:09 PM.
    "It is we the workers who built these palaces and cities here in Spain and in America and everywhere. We, the workers, can build others to take their place. And better ones! We are not in the least afraid of ruins. We are going to inherit the earth; there is not the slightest doubt about that. The bourgeoisie might blast and ruin its own world before it leaves the stage of history. We carry a new world here, in our hearts."
    — Buenaventura Durruti

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ryder View Post
    I'd wager that those laptops, or their hard drives at least, are destroyed to the highest forensic standards by now.
    Gardaí should follow up any recent thermite sales.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-ckechIqW0"]YouTube - HackaDay thermite-based Hard drive destruction[/ame]
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

It really shouldn't be that hard for the Gardai to work out a pool of suspects from this event.

And if it turns out the Revenue have lost investigations for good because they haven't been backed up then heads should definitely roll.

The interesting part is that it would have to be an inside job obviously or someone being fed info on which computers to take.

It wouldn't surprise me as I know of one smalltime property speculator in Cork who has a relative in the Revenue who at least last year was feeding him info on the file on the speculator at the Revenue Commissioners.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Did I hear that they were chained to the desks, too? I did think it odd when I first heard this reported.

But surely there would be a back up of the data somewhere... ?
    Corruption never sleeps; remember how all the data pertaining to the investigation of the Dublin-Monaghan bombings mysteriously disappeared from 5 seperate, secure locations simultaneously.
    "Do not be misled by the promises of politicians. Remember that the whole history of Ireland is a record of betrayals by politicians and statesmen, and remembering this, spurn their lying promises and stand up for a United Ireland - an Ireland broad based upon the union of Labour and Nationality." - James Connolly.

remember how all the data pertaining to the investigation of the Dublin-Monaghan bombings mysteriously disappeared from 5 seperate, secure locations simultaneously.
    That's an interesting bit. It's disappearance must have been authorised by the highest level .. at the very top.

Quote Originally Posted by disability student View Post
    That's an interesting bit. It's disappearance must have been authorised by the highest level .. at the very top.
    We're speaking about the same time frame and administration which saw the authorisation of the theft of national hydrocarbon resources and prostitution of Shannon airport as well as the surrender of 32 county sovereignty (proto-IMF). Sooner or later people are going to realise that the Republicans have had a point........for the last 90 years or so!
    "Do not be misled by the promises of politicians. Remember that the whole history of Ireland is a record of betrayals by politicians and statesmen, and remembering this, spurn their lying promises and stand up for a United Ireland - an Ireland broad based upon the union of Labour and Nationality." - James Connolly.

You can guarantee our info is backed up just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    Gardaí should follow up any recent thermite sales.

YouTube - HackaDay thermite-based Hard drive destruction
    You can easily make your own at home, with any number of recipes available on this medium.

Thermite - From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Google Search - Thermite recipe
    — Buenaventura Durruti

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    It really shouldn't be that hard for the Gardai to work out a pool of suspects from this event.

And if it turns out the Revenue have lost investigations for good because they haven't been backed up then heads should definitely roll.
    Yep. Unfortunately Irish institutions don't do accountability particularly well.

The interesting part is that it would have to be an inside job obviously or someone being fed info on which computers to take.
    Yep. Watergate is an interesting comparison. I fully expect the garda investigation to run into a cul-de-sac soon enough.

This data would have been backed up on a server at some stage.

A single copy of information on single notebooks?

I dont think so.

It would have been copied from a server somewhere in revenues systems.

I doubt theres anything sinister here.

I hope the thieves put the Hard Drive contents up on piratebay.

Beg to differ ANLA, the computers were selected ... not taken in general. Some computers it appears were left behind and it was clearly a planned operation and not an opportunistic theft as most of these efforts usually are.

That may help in narrowing down the pool of people who should be asked questions.

(1) The live cases on the stolen computers narrows the pool
    (2) Those live cases where people have been informed of Revenue questions narrows it further.

Wouldn't mind being a detective on that one because there is a good chance if the right trees are shaken that something hairy and guilty would fall out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast