Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Theft of laptops from Revenue offices - Evening Herald claims an FF connection

Default Theft of laptops from Revenue offices - Evening Herald claims an FF connection

Didnt see a thread on this elsewhere-

Last week, a number of laptops were stolen from a Revenue office.

The Irish Times reported on Friday:
    GARDAÍ AND the Data Protection Commissioner have begun separate investigations into the theft of 10 laptops at Revenue Commissioners offices where major investigations into...serious tax evasion and tax issues related to criminal activity, including organised crime, are based...

A number of officials based at the offices work with the Criminal Assets Bureau in trying to use tax law to confiscate money from organised crime gangs. Other officials at the Ashtown offices investigate people from whom cash with questionable origins is seized at ports or airports either entering or leaving the State.
    Now tonight the Evening Herald has a front page headline claiming all the laptops stolen contained details of investigations into various developers with links to Fianna Fail. Unfortunately theres no link to the online story.

On p.ie, Seabchan summarised
    ...Evening Herald has a story tonight that the theives walked in using a swipe card to open locked doors. They went directly to a particular 3rd floor office and spent 30 minutes selecting which laptops to take. They entered and left after the staff had left but before the alarm went on. The laptops taken were all part of tax evation investigations into property developers. The Herald says the developers were all connected to the Fianna Fail party (but that is true of 99% of property developers).

Just What wtf is going on? And why isnt this gettig more attention?

Default Re: Theft of laptops from Revenue offices - Evening Herald claims an FF connection

Did I hear that they were chained to the desks, too? I did think it odd when I first heard this reported.

But surely there would be a back up of the data somewhere... ?

Default Re: Theft of laptops from Revenue offices - Evening Herald claims an FF connection

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Did I hear that they were chained to the desks, too? I did think it odd when I first heard this reported.

But surely there would be a back up of the data somewhere... ?
    Yes intitial reports stated that the were chained, and the main emphasis was that they were encrypted so the data on them was unaccessable.

You'd hope that they were backed up, but the details that seem to be emerging point to it all being a bit too convenient. Intersting that this latest twist to the story broke/was leaked on the day the Dail was being disolved.

I don't have a copy of the paper in front of me, but apparently they quote an unnamed source saying "A number of these individuals have Fianna Fail links and prosecutions taken against them could be embarrassing for the party".

So as the laptops were chained to the desks the thieves would have had to bring some kind of cutting equipment.
    According to the IT story they forced a fire escape door while the Herald says that they used swipe cards.
    There are implications here that the thieves had information that only insiders would possess.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe McGillycuddy View Post
    So as the laptops were chained to the desks the thieves would have had to bring some kind of cutting equipment.
    According to the IT story they forced a fire escape door while the Herald says that they used swipe cards.
    There are implications here that the thieves had information that only insiders would possess.
    The IT story was on friday, only hours after the theft, the Herald story is from today, so persumably with more up-to-date details of what happened.

All very worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by yehbut_nobut View Post
    The IT story was on friday, only hours after the theft, the Herald story is from today, so persumably with more up-to-date details of what happened.

All very worrying.
    And the Indo from Saturday:
    Three men forced their way in through a fire emergency door at the side of the building at around 7.15pm.
    The offices are patrolled by security guards and monitored by surveillance cameras.
    Staff employed at Ashtown Gate include officials from the investigations and prosecutions division, which co-ordinates all Revenue prosecution activity, dealing particularly with serious cases of fraud and tax evasion.
    The burglars managed to make their way unnoticed up to the second floor where they used cutting equipment to remove 10 laptops that had been chained and padlocked to desks.
    The gang managed to escape with the laptops before the break-in was spotted.
    Some security
    http://www.independent.ie/national-n...d-2515913.html

This could potentially be a massive story, I'm surprised so much info has even been leaked out so far.

Quote Originally Posted by yehbut_nobut View Post
    I don't have a copy of the paper in front of me, but apparently they quote an unnamed source saying "A number of these individuals have Fianna Fail links and prosecutions taken against them could be embarrassing for the party".
    Here you go yehbut_nobut :-

LAPTOPS stolen from a Revenue office contained the records of Fianna Fail-linked developers under investigation for alleged tax evasion.

Gardai are now trying to establish if the high profile burglary was staged to disrupt criminal investigations.

A number of businesspeople whose records were stolen are being investigated by tax officials and are linked to Fianna Fail, the Herald understands.
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/g...s-2519251.html

Irelands version of the WTC7? Cant wait for all the scandal to come out when our new leaders get a real chance to look into FF's dirty work. That's if they get a chance.

One of the big questions here is whether the information on these laptops is backed up on a daily basis? It sounds very like the thieves had inside info and knew which machines to take.
    Surely they would know that there was no point trying to carry out a theft if the information was backed up a server?

I bet RTE won't cover this

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe McGillycuddy View Post
    Surely they would know that there was no point trying to carry out a theft if the information was backed up a server?
    Unless somebody wanted to know what revenue knows about him

The point about server records is a good one. Mainly because if the laptops were stolen based on inside information about which officer was dealing with which revenue case and the burglars had knowledge of that then that narrows down the investigation to those cases.

If I was a detective I'd be happy that selected laptops were stolen as it narrows the investigation immediately to those connected to cases handled by the officers whose computers were stolen.

Daft. If they'd taken the lot it would have caused more confusion.

Questions for the Gardai to ponder;

(1) Who had access to the overall list of investigations and which officer/laptop to whom they were assigned?

(2) Pulling together a list of cases being investigated by those officers ... is there any connection between the people being investigated?

After that it would be tree-shaking to see if something hairy fell out among that much smaller cohort.

It'll be interesting to see if the Gardai will follow that line.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Quote Originally Posted by bormotello View Post
    Unless somebody wanted to know what revenue knows about him
    I think that can be ruled out. The incident was actually reported on the main evening news on Friday. They said the laptops are all encrypted to the highest standards, as you would expect.

This is either a normal theft (which I doubt, government issued laptops aren't exactly top of the range and used computers don't sell that well and if you take the costs for refurbishing into account, there's no money to be made) or an act to destroy evidence.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast