Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General Election 2011: Wicklow Constituency (5 Seats)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default General Election 2011: Wicklow Constituency (5 Seats)

Last edited by C. Flower; 25-01-2011 at 01:30 AM.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Default Re: General Election 2011: Wicklow Constituency (5 Seats)

Independent Stephen Donnelly is doing well.

Just heard from a friend on facebook that the count had to be stopped in Wicklow due to a huge argument over spoiled votes

Suzy Byrne on RTE Radio 1 says that the Wickow count is a mess. 24 candidates with double sheet list which has confused voters. Also a missing bundle of votes.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe McGillycuddy View Post
    Suzy Byrne on RTE Radio 1 says that the Wickow count is a mess. 24 candidates with double sheet list which has confused voters. Also a missing bundle of votes.
    Ah Paddy being a wicklow constituent I'm not surprised at all, I was removed from the register myself even though I haven't changed address since last local elections and was told by Wicklow Co council that I was sent 2 letters which I never received and as a result could not vote. While on to the council on this very matter the phones were ringing all over the place and the girl said everyone she spoke to reckoned they didn't get letters but they were sent. I assured her that in my case they definitely weren't sent, but it makes you wonder!!! I live in a very working class estate, need I say more!!
    Last edited by jinnyjoe; 26-02-2011 at 10:28 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Stephen Donnelly who is an independent with ties to the Sommerville and Ross school has got 6517 votes.
    Quite remarkable!

After Dick Roche was eliminated by 3 votes in count 13, a recount has been called. Expect the results sometimes next year.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Spotted this in the RTÉ Twitter feed on their election website - 'Roche's election agent David Grant said count very close & Mr Roche better positioned than running mate to benefit from transfers'. Does Roche and his people think this election was run in a parallel universe or what?
    "It is we the workers who built these palaces and cities here in Spain and in America and everywhere. We, the workers, can build others to take their place. And better ones! We are not in the least afraid of ruins. We are going to inherit the earth; there is not the slightest doubt about that. The bourgeoisie might blast and ruin its own world before it leaves the stage of history. We carry a new world here, in our hearts."
    — Buenaventura Durruti

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ryder View Post
    Does Roche and his people think this election was run in a parallel universe or what?
    The entire party ran this election as if it were held in a parallel universe.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    The entire party ran this election as if it were held in a parallel universe.
    They can't/don't accept defeat and live in the land of FF ... welcome to hard cold reality FFers

It's looking like 3 FG home and dry, followed by 1 LAB, and that it will go to the wire between SF Brady (Bray) and Ind Donnelly (Greystones). FF Ind Behan (Bray) could also be in there with a shot, depending on transfers

The transfers from either FF Fitzgerald (Arklow) and FF Roche (Bray) will be the decider. My guess is that Roche's transfers will go to Behan AND Donnelly, but not to Brady. There is more likelihood of Fitzgeralds transfers going to Brady.

Nailbiting stuff

Dick Roche finally eliminated proceeding to 14th count and distribution of his votes.

Quote Originally Posted by ang View Post
    Dick Roche finally eliminated proceeding to 14th count and distribution of his votes.
    2025 A spokesman for Dick Roche said the Fianna Fáil candidate was very disappointed at the outcome of the ballot in Wicklow, but did not rule out further challenges.

David Grant said the party would have representatives monitor the count as it continues in Greystones, and 'see if there are options open at some point later in the count'.

It is understood the only further option open to the Roche camp is to mount a legal challenge.

Are we to take it from this that Roche mightn't be finished yet?

The possibility of him just accepting things and fecking off was unlikely in the first place

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast