Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Print

Default Print

Whats good to read these days?
    Not the papers obviously, if or when they go under it will be their own fault not the internet.
    But anyway what other publications do you pick up ?

Irish newsagents have a great habit of sticking an extra €4 on things but I still grab
    Phoenix, Private Eye, Nat Geo, History Ireland and other random History bits, New statesman and Prospect when I can.

What about yourselves, anything I'm missing?
    Last edited by C. Flower; 01-02-2011 at 03:05 PM.

Default Re: Print

London Review of Books is a must for me. Apart from everything else it contains a surprising amount of political stuff.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

New Scientist, Economist, given up on broadsheet papers although occasionally buy the Sunday Times for the Culture and Arts review section just to keep up with whats happening otherwise I'm almost switched over to e-media.

Can't give up books though as nothing beats the aroma of a new book opened to page 1...
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    I'm almost switched over to e-media.
    Ditto. Not supporting the rip-off which is rampant amongst Irish newsagents.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Veering off topic but I'd a theory when I read a lot of papers that news goes through a washcycle ... front page for perceptions of what has happened then that news gets washed through the opinion pages and eventually ends up in the book review pages. Last stop would be critical appraisal of the books. Maybe another thread some rainy day on that...
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

And then there's the storage issue, the glossy magazines use up quite a lot of space compared to the little space the electronic editions require with all them massive 2 or 3 TB monster hard drives around today.

Never mind searching a specific article later, thanks to intelligent desktop search solutions you'll find what you're looking for in no time.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Storage: NatGeo is tiny and I usually pass them on to the mother after.
    Phoenix is slim and well worth hanging on to imo. Still can't understand how the circulation is only around 16,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    opinion pages
    Chuckle,
    I was lead to believe, drinking isn't as common as it once was in newsrooms but you have to wonder.
    I gave up the papers for new years and have no chance of failing off the wagon. Drivel

Phoenix is definitely worth supporting. One of the very few honourable attempts made by the fourth estate in Ireland to hold the executive, administrative and judicial arms of the state to account. Not to mention tracking many an iffy business deal. Hat-tip ...

Fine satirical magazine indeed, they should publish online, certainly would boost their sales.

Village, anyone?

Yes- I'd give a hat tip to Village as well and they've been doing some great work lately in particular around the Whistleblower thread on Unicredito and the capital ratio surfing in the IFSC.

That was an outstanding piece of work I thought.

Tribune gone according to the twitter.

Default Re: Print - Sunday Tribune in Receivership 1 Feb 11

Confirmed by RTE - The Independent Group which owns more than 20% will not support losses any longer.

Questions about the Indo ?

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    Ditto. Not supporting the rip-off which is rampant amongst Irish newsagents.
    When in Ireland, I tend to spend sunday mornings drinking an over-priced coffee in a paper cup in my local cafe. I compensate this by the reading the coffee shops Sunday papers.
    Works out I pay 3 euros for a coffee, and also get to read at least two newspapers free. In fact if I time it well, and when the staff are leaving, they implore me to take the papers home....just to get me out.
    Yes, my life really is that exciting.

Default Re: Print - Sunday Tribune in Receivership 1 Feb 11

Quite enjoy the Tribune. Hope Suzanne Breen finds a good employer. She's Ireland's best investigative journalist. (not a hard task, but she is anyway)

Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast