Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Tunisian protests continue-Egyptian,Algerian,Yemeni, Syrian and Jordanian protests -Rebirth of Arab Activism

Default Re: Tunisian protests continue for 12 days - Algerian protests - Rebirth of Arab Activism

Quote Originally Posted by barrym View Post
    Par for the course I'm afaraid.

I worked in Tunisia several times in the 80s and 90s and also in other African countries.

First on Tunisia, the French ordained effective dictator Burgiba ruled the country as personal fiefdom with French investments even while he was in a coma for about a year!! In fact, before he was officially declared dead the islamists had moved into take over the politics - typically it was easy to get a lunch during Rhamadan in the early 80s by the 90s you couldn't, except in your hotel, in a closed room....
    The IMF were there from the beginning, but in effect they did what the French wanted. The IMF's recipe was agreed by all the big boys, create market economies and ensure the former occupying power's investments were protected.

In general terms, as has been alluded to, the IMF has ruined any economy in Africa deserving of the name (there weren't many, there are less now). The best example I saw (I think I've mentioned it before) was Malawi where the IMF insisted that the grain reserve be sold to create investment money and the following year Malawi was required to appeal to the FAO for emergency aid 'cos the rains failed.

Back to Tunisia, the base problem is that the regime hasn't been able to control education as much as it would like and the disenfranchised grads are pissed off. The other 'mistake' (which has happened elsewhere) was to enable mobile phone networks and consequently vids appear on YouTube.....The network has been closed these last few days.

Le Monde has good coverage.
    Thanks - great to have more company on this thread - well-informed, too.
    I'll have a look at le Monde. France24 isn't doing too well - they tend to keep quiet about inconvenient events.

As will all protest movements, the press homes in on any scary image with flames in it, and overlooks the fact that people are reacting rationally, considering the fact that food price increases and unemployment are making it impossible for them to live.

Never been to Africa, but agree about the role of the IMF 100% from what I've read.

Default Re: Tunisian protests continue for 12 days - Algerian protests - Rebirth of Arab Activism

The Tunisian government has deployed military units in the captial this morning:

Soldiers have deployed in Tunisia's capital a day after a wave of unrest triggered by unemployment and high food prices spread to the city.

Military vehicles and soldiers on foot were seen Wednesday in Tunis.

Source
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Here is the newspaper of the Workers Communist Party of Tunisia. It may be of interest to those who can speak arabic.

http://www.albadil.org/

They are illegal and severely repressed. For example:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/2238210.stm

Very old interview with Hamma Hammani here but it does give an indication of conditions in the country:

http://www.mltranslations.org/Tunisia/hammani.htm
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Common declaration of the Tunisian opposition parties and movements

(in french)

http://www.pcof.net/fr/communiques/t...ec_commune.pdf

I can't find this on line anywhere in English. If someone was able to do a half decent translation and post it here it would be good.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

DECLARATION COMMUNE DES PARTIS ET MOUVEMENTS TUNISIENS D'OPPOSITION
    JOINT DECLARATION OF THE OPPOSITION PARTIES AND MOUVEMENTS OF TUNISIA
    Nous signataires de la déclaration ci-dessous :
    We the signatories of the declation below
    Devant l'escalade dangereuse de la répression à THALA ,KASSERINE ET REGUEB,
    Following the dangerous escalation of repression at THALA, KASSERINE AND REGUEB
    Devant les tirs de la police hier et aujourd’hui, ce qui a causé la mort de plus de 20
    Following the shooting by the police, yesterday and today, which caused the death of more than 20 martyrs in the course of a few hours and injured a large number of people
    martyrs au bout de quelques heures en plus du nombre élevé de blessés ;
    1) Présentent nos condoléances aux familles des victimes et à la population de
    THALA,KASSERINE,
    1) Give our condolences to the families of the victims and to the population of THALA, REGUEB and KASSERINE and to all the Tunisian people for the fallen martyrs for the right to work, to liberty and dignity
    REGUEB et à tout le peuple tunisien pour les martyrs tombés pour le droit au travail; à la liberté et à la dignité.
    2) Condamnent avec force ce carnage dont la responsabilité incombe entièrement au pouvoir ainsi que la répression et l'assassinat provoqués lors des protestations populaires qui ont démarré le 17 décembre 2010
    2) Condemn forcefully the butchery and the murders in response to the popular protests of 17 december 2010, which were entirely the responsibility of the state.
    3) Demandent : l'arrêt immédiat des tirs sur les citoyens isolés et le retour des forces de police et de l'armée à leurs casernes et la poursuite des responsables qui ont donné l'ordre ainsi que ceux qui ont exécuté ces crimes et aussi ceux qui les ont exécutés dans d'autres régions du pays.
    3) Demand the immediate arrest of the individuals who fired at citizens, the recall of police and army to barracks, the pursuit of those responsible for giving the orders, those who carried out these crimes and also those who carried them out in other regions of this country, the release of all detained after mass demonstrations and of those detained at the coal fields and of all political prisoners.
    Demand the guarantee of the liberties and rights of the Tunisian people and their freedom of expression, freedom of information, freedom to demonstrate, freedom to organise and right to choose their own government and representatives.
    la libération de tous les détenus arrêtés à la suite des manifestations populaires ainsi que les détenus du bassin minier et de tous les détenus politiques.
    assurer les libertés et le respect du droit du peuple tunisien à la liberté d'expression, à la liberté d'information, à la liberté de manifester, à la liberté de s'organiser et à la liberté de choisir ceux qui le gouvernent et ceux qui le représentent.
    TUNIS JANUARY 9 2011
    SIGNATORIES
    The Progressive Democratic Party, the Workers' Communist Party of Tunisia (PCOT)
    The Republican Congress, ENNAHDHA PARTY, the Tunisian Green Party (?eco or islamic?), the Nasserine Unionists, the Baath Mouvement, the National Committee for support of the Families of Sidi Bouzid for the Development of Democracy, the Association of Liberty and Equality, the Tunisian Association Against Torture, the Support Commitee for the Population of Sidi Bouzid, the Tunisian Association for Defence of Political Prisoners, the Young Communists of Tunisia, the Union of Young Independent Writers.

TUNIS LE 9 JANVIER 2011
    SIGNATAIRES :
    PARTI DÉMOCRATE PROGRESSISTE / PARTI COMMUNISTE DES OUVRIERS DE TUNISIE (PCOT) /
    CONGRES POUR LA RÉPUBLIQUE / PARTI ENNAHDHA / PARTI TUNISIE VERTE / MOUVEMENT
    UNIONISTES NASSERIENS / MOUVEMENT BAATH / COMITÉ NATIONAL DE SOUTIEN AUX FAMILLES DE SIDI BOUZID POUR LE DEVELOPPEMENT ET LA DÉMOCRATIE / ASSOCIATION LIBERTÉ ET ÉGALITÉS /
    ASSOCIATION TUNISIENNE CONTRE LA TORTURE / COMITÉ DE SOUTIEN A LA POPULATION DE SIDI
    BOUZID / ASSOCIATION TUNISIENNE DE DÉFENSE DES PRISONNIERS POLITIQUES / UNION DES
    JEUNES COMMUNISTES TUNISIENS / UNION DES JEUNES ÉCRIVAINS LIBRES .

"No to Murder" (photo from Nawaat.org)
    Last edited by C. Flower; 12-01-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks Cactus.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCmdOKPsOjg&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - #sidibouzid Today : Demonstrators in Sfax singing the n ...[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl1AubGU3Bs&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Manifestation Paris 06-01-2011 Tunisie Sidi Bouzid[/ame]

not good at all. Curfew tonight in the capital. Read somewhere today 60 dead. Thanks for that BarryM.
    "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by sword. The other is by debt." -- John Adams

Kev Bar Guest

Mayhem in the Maghreb.
    The Arab youth follow their Iranian counterparts in desire to rid themselves of corrupt morally bankrupt leadership

Cactus: Why does one group get your approval (Arabs) while you ignore the other (Persians)?

Oh what a tangled web you weave when first.....................
    Last edited by Kev Bar; 13-01-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Bar View Post
    Mayhem in the Maghreb.
    The Arab youth follow their Iranian counterparts in desire to rid themselves of corrupt morally bankrupt leadership
    You must be the only person on the planet who believes that the youth in Tunisia and Algeria are up in arms because of something that happened in Iran.

Hamma Hammami in jail again.

Statement of the Tunisian Workers Communist Party. Jan 12.

"The police arrested Comrade Hamma Hammami, the spokesman of the Tunisian Workers Communist Party, after storming his house this morning. This detention comes following a statement which went by the Labour Party to the people of Tunisia and the forces of democracy, calling them to “consolidate the rows on the replacement joint for the system of tyranny” and calling for “the departure of Ben Ali on the power and the resolution of governance institutions the current image and the formation of an interim national government organizes and supervises the elections free and fair stems from a constituent assembly task under a new constitution for the country lay the foundations of the Democratic Republic of new and real dedicated people’s sovereignty and guaranteed in practice, freedom, democracy and respect for human rights, equality, dignity, and pursuing a policy of new economic and social national and popular availability of labor and the foundations of a decent living for all people’s sons and daughters and eliminate the root of corruption and cronyism and regional discrimination. ”

This arrest comes within the implementation of the threats announced by the Ben Ali in his latest speech, where he launched a campaign of repression against trade unionists, politicians and youth activists, including a number of party workers and supporters.

The Tunisian Workers Communist Party calls for the release of Kiedier Hamma Hammami, Ammar Amroussia and its militants and all the detainees immediately and holds Ben Ali and his regime fully responsible for what happens to their physical integrity.

These repressions will not discourage our party members from bearing their duties towards our people in this difficult period of struggle against dictatorship, and we are ready to make the necessary sacrifices for the liberation of our people. We renew our call to unite for the departure of Ben Ali and the establishment of a democratic system in the service of the people.

Tunisian Workers Communist Party
    12 January 2011"

Kev Bar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    You must be the only person on the planet who believes that the youth in Tunisia and Algeria are up in arms because of something that happened in Iran.
    Oh dear Lord!
    Well, at least, we have something in common as you must be only person on the planet who could arrive at such an erroneous conclusion from my above proposition.

(Aside: Whatever happened to the Communist Party of Iran? I remember - the bearded ones wiped them out).

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Bar View Post
    Oh dear Lord!
    Well, at least, we have something in common as you must be only person on the planet who could arrive at such an erroneous conclusion from my above proposition.

(Aside: Whatever happened to the Communist Party of Iran? I remember - the bearded ones wiped them out).
    You made a link and said that the youth in Tunisia were "following" those in Iran.

There are several Communist Parties in Iran. I support one. They have been severely repressed like all the revolutionary groups. Thousands if not tens of thousands of communists have been killed over recent decades. This is well know. They have not been wiped out, however ... the thought of which seems to amuse you in some way.

Anyway, this thread is about North Africa and I am determined that you will not divert it. If you are so interested in Iran please link us to one of the many threads you have started on the subject and we can discuss it there.

I have been to quite a few countries and Tunisia is by a long way the worst, it is a dreadfully run, violent and unpleasant place.
    Mr Lenihan said the guarantee was “the cheapest bailout” compared with bank rescues in other countries, including the UK and the US, where “billions and billions of taxpayers’ money are being poured into financial institutions” - October 24 2008

Kev Bar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    You made a link and said that the youth in Tunisia were "following" those in Iran.

There are several Communist Parties in Iran. I support one. They have been severely repressed like all the revolutionary groups. Thousands if not tens of thousands of communists have been killed over recent decades. This is well know. They have not been wiped out, however ... the thought of which seems to amuse you in some way.

Anyway, this thread is about North Africa and I am determined that you will not divert it. If you are so interested in Iran please link us to one of the many threads you have started on the subject and we can discuss it there.
    Good Lord
    Jesus wept.

Following "chronologically".

"... the thought of which seems to amuse you in some way."

Really? Why is that? Explain?

Perhaps I better go laugh then cos I was unaware of my bemusement.

"I am determined that you will not divert it."

What's up Sam...only certain serpents can be serpentine?

MY question - clear to anyone devoid of ideological blinkers - is why the Arab street is lauded by some for its (new-found) activisim while the Tehran one is dismissed.

All I'm trying to do is tell the blind they cannot see.

Do ya dig?

Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast