Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Up in Irish Charities ?

Default Re: What's Up in Irish Charities ?

Thats interesting Jane I have wondered over the years how certain charities seem to be able to afford to run shops nationally. The rate exemption would be the key there so that answers that question.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

con what do you make of this?

http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/au...charities.html
    The Company incorporated under the companies Acts 1963 to 2001 on the 30th January 2003, as US-Ireland Alliance Limited,
    http://www.us-irelandalliance.org/wmspage.cfm?parm1=5

MAKING BUSINESS CONNECTIONS THROUGH THE US-IRELAND ALLIANCE

At a US-Ireland Alliance golf tournament, we sat Paul Nolan, then of the Irish Pub Company, next to Phil Lengyel, then VP of Development at DisneyWorld in Florida. A conversation began that evening that lead to the establishment of the Raglan Road Restaurant at Downtown Disney, Pleasure Island.

This multimillion dollar development benefits the US economy by employing 150 people and is one of the top 40 grossing restaurants in the US. The project also benefits Ireland as millions of euros were spent there on the pub’s development. The restaurant employs Irish graduates in management positions. It also employs Irish musicians. The company takes its top 20 employees to Ireland for a week each year to learn about Irish culture. The pub is the third largest seller of Guinness in the US.
    and this?

http://www.us-irelandalliance.org/wmspage.cfm?parm1=6

For six years I was a woman obsessed. And several times a week since 2003, I have been reminded, or reminded someone, that one day, I would be going to IRAQ. IRAQ was the ultimate goal, even when I was seventeen and bragging away about how I was going to WEST POINT and then to IRAQ. IRAQ was the gold standard: going to IRAQ proved that you were a bad-ass. And of course, when you are an eighteen or twenty-two year old at West Point, being a bad-ass is high on your list of priorities.

I entered the United States Military Academy in the summer of 2003, shortly after the initial invasion of Iraq, when everything was about tanks and toppling statues of Saddam Hussein. Our cadet leaders, juniors and seniors at West Point, insisted that one day they would go to IRAQ, but in four years that war—Afghanistan, too—would be long over and we would miss the whole thing. Along with most of my classmates, I experienced an irrational fear that I would miss the war. Missing the war would somehow make me a lesser officer, and for that matter, a worse human being. I could not miss the war
    Then the priest answered & said unto the Queen of Space, kissing her lovely brows, and the dew of her light bathing his whole body in a sweet-smelling perfume of sweat: O Nuit, continuous one of Heaven, let it be ever thus; that men speak not of Thee as One but as None; and let them speak not of thee at all, since thou art continuous! Liber AL vel Legis 1:27

Heh- I imagine thats why Americans prefer the term 'nonprofit' to 'charity'. Theres a lot of think tanks and lobbying organisations registered with the Revenue as charities in Ireland that simply wouldn't qualify as a charity elsewhere.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

On the charity shops thing, most charity shops do not make money but they come close to breaking even if they dont actually break even. This means that the shop is a very cheap or free form of advertising. That is their main purpose.

Sounds reasonable and I've no beef with genuine charities and support them where I can. I do have a problem with organisations with a political or commercial agenda being awarded charitable/tax exempt status when they are not in fact charities.

Do they have charitable status ?

Other half has worked the sector for years.
    Can't really repeat what I've heard, but BMW's is only the beginning.

Shambles

C,mon spill the beans on them . It surprised me a few years ago when i met professioal charity collectors on the street. They got something like 65-75% of the take each time your direct debit went through. No thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FIVE View Post
    Other half has worked the sector for years.
    Can't really repeat what I've heard, but BMW's is only the beginning.

Shambles
    Then the priest answered & said unto the Queen of Space, kissing her lovely brows, and the dew of her light bathing his whole body in a sweet-smelling perfume of sweat: O Nuit, continuous one of Heaven, let it be ever thus; that men speak not of Thee as One but as None; and let them speak not of thee at all, since thou art continuous! Liber AL vel Legis 1:27

list of charities and Charities authorised @ 31st October 2010 under the Scheme of Tax Relief for Donations here: http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/au...charities.html

Some interesting standouts

An Foras Aiseanna Saothair, FAS Po Box 456 27-33 Upper Baggot Street Dublin 4

Enterprise Equity (Ireland) Limited

Enterprise Equity Investment Fund Limited

ESBBA (ESB Staff and Pensioners Benevolent Association)

Health Service Executive

IBEC Centre for Educational Research & Development
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Do they have charitable status ?
    14646 US-IRELAND Alliance Lavery House Earlsfort Terrace Dublin 2

http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/au...charities.html
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Enterprise Equity is a venture capital fund I think connected with AIB. It lends to management buy-outs and commercial firms in the export sector I think ... how does this qualify as a charity?

Its possible to invest in that fund at around the 1.5million euro mark ... its not a bloody charity. It doesn't make grants- it makes investments and operates as such as far as I can see. http://www.enterpriseequity.ie/about.html

Whats the betting this 'charity status' in Ireland is being widely abused?

I seem to recall a Prime Time investigation about the Red Cross Administration in Ireland.
    I also believe I created a Thread or I Posted on another one.
    But I cannot find it.
    Does anyone else recall this. It was this year.

I remember that ... didn't they have a whistleblower who was blogging about the internal capers at the Red Cross and in fine Irish crisis management mode immediately set about stifling the whistleblower rather than dealing with the issues raised?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    I remember that ... didn't they have a whistleblower who was blogging about the internal capers at the Red Cross and in fine Irish crisis management mode immediately set about stifling the whistleblower rather than dealing with the issues raised?
    Cannot find it now,
    Will try again.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast