Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for Christmas Books ?

Default Re: Recommendations for Christmas Books ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    No. I do not patronise that company. I would recommend that you order it from your local independent bookstore ... if you still have such things.
    Kenny's books are an Irish bookshop that offer free delivery to anywhere in the world.

I always use them over Amazon and have no complaints

http://www.bookshop.kennys.ie/advanc...rch_genreId=23
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Can't see this one selling unless the price drops a bit in new year sales

http://www.alibris.co.uk/booksearch....&qsort=&page=1

Two of my favourite books. I don't have the time or the peace of mind with the kids around the house to read enough, but I particularily enjoyed these two.

Noah's Flood - Black Sea Deluge

http://www.lexiline.com/lexiline/lexi44.htm

An Irish History of Civilization Volume 2

http://www.omahonys.ie/catalog/an-ir...-p-220529.html
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Any of you ever read. Maamtrasna, The Murders and the Mystery by Jarlath Waldron. I can remember reading it many years ago and enjoying it.

http://www.mayobooks.ie/details.php?...nd_the_mystery

Default Maidir Le: Recommendations for Christmas Books ?

For novels - I enjoyed The Help by Kathryn Stockett, set in Civil Rights era in the USA . I've got PD James' Death Comes to Pemberley to take away for the hols. (Yes, that Pemberley.)

Not really a Christmas-themed book but I recommend Rich Dad, Poor Dad. Have a good read!

For next Christmas maybe?

Bought T-Max an absolute bargain.

Wonderful ilustrations and quirky reproduced documents and letters from Dicken's times.

'Barnaby Rudge' about the religious riots in London was the last book I read of Dickens decades ago. Time to get back to him?
    We are all insane animals existing for a time on an obviously unfinished planet.
    www.irelandtoo.com

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

He wrote about a nation in poverty , the rich got richer and poor were pissed on. The education system was a shambles...wait that was'nt Hard Times, that was the Troikas policy on Ireland.....
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

any good recommendations for this year?
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

With the film coming out soon, this may interest some

Just working my way through "Trampled underfoot" by Brian Hoskyns.
    It's an account of Led Zeppelin from before the band formed and where everyone got their start to the present.
    Brilliant account of the saga.

Usually I just read the book and ignore the film, but in this case someone read quotes from A Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Godwin to some of us and those quotes were so good, that we went to see the film. To my surprise, the film, which covered the last couple of months of Lincoln's life, and focussed on the fight to pass the 13th amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which prohibited involuntary servitude in every corner of the nation, was really well done. We gave copies of the book to various friends and relatives for Christmas, and a copy for ourselves.

The other book we gave as gifts and are reading ourselves is The Famine Plot, by Tim Pat Coogan. The book is so bold and decisive in indicting the British Empire for "ethnic cleansing" that the American Embassy, as people here certainly know, denied Tim Pat Coogan a visa so as to eliminated his book launch tour in the U.S. When , due to much pressure and organizing in both Ireland and America, by ourselves and many others, the Visa was finally issued, it was too late for all the book launch events that had been planned.So buying the book and reading it became an act of solidarity.

Usually, we find wonderful old books that are not well known, to give as gifts. This is the first year in many that we gave recently published books to friends and family.

A great way to celebrate Christmas and a smarter New Year.

Today is the 150th anniversary of Lincoln signing the Emancipation Proclamation, which you can read about here: http://laroucheirishbrigade.wordpres...can-tradition/
    Last edited by rebellin; 01-01-2013 at 09:21 PM.
    Educating a Renaissance...http://www.laroucheirishbrigade.com//

I plan on getting the new book on Enda Kenny out of the library whenever I can get it. It booked in quite a lot of places. Anyway I'll wait rather than buy it. €20 is steep when I'll probably get it read in 2 weeks with the book being 300 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by RahenyFG II View Post
    I plan on getting the new book on Enda Kenny out of the library whenever I can get it. It booked in quite a lot of places. Anyway I'll wait rather than buy it. €20 is steep when I'll probably get it read in 2 weeks with the book being 300 pages.
    Look forward to hearing your review
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast