Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for Christmas Books ?

Default Recommendations for Christmas Books ?

I have my Christmas reading mainly sorted in a pile and ready to go, but I'm giving books to other people and the odd book token might come my way.

Any recommendations for Christmas books ?

There is a glut of stuff this year, some very good, on the State of the Nation, but I'm really looking for some non-political recommendations - novels, science and history in particular.

Best reads of 2010 ?

Default Re: Recommendations for Christmas Books ?

Ed Moloney has released a book which is a documentary history of the IRA from the 1910's to the present day, there is also a book on Peig Sayers, transcripts of the conversations that members of the Folklore Commission had with her called 'Labharfad le Cách', I will speak to you all, and its as Gaeilge and as Béarla as well. It seems fascinating, and Peig was a well spoken woman so it'snot the boring torture that many associate with Peig from their schooldays
    Нооруз пиээ пурылыа выиттыа

'Our goal is to conquer state power for the Irish working class'
    Pat Rabitte, 1987

"Can I ask whether this is what the men of 1916 died for: a bailout from the German chancellor with a few shillings of sympathy from the British chancellor on the side?"
    Michael Noonan, November 2010

If you have not read Pillars of the Earth, I thoroughly recommend it

It's a big book, so would only advise as a Christmas present for an avid reader
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

I'm reading "The Island" by Huxley and enjoying it, I guessed I missed it when growing up. It is a philosophical utopian novel of a type that is not written any more. Very good technically... I had forgotten what a good writer he was.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    If you have not read Pillars of the Earth, I thoroughly recommend it

It's a big book, so would only advise as a Christmas present for an avid reader
    I read Pillars ages ago and quite enjoyed the TV series based on the book, twas shown on TV3 a few weeks ago.

If you're looking for a good thriller ... I just started reading Cody McFadyen's "Shadow Man". It's the first book in a series of four, featuring female FBI Agent Smoky Barrett ...

She was one of the best - until a madman terrorized her family, killed her husband and daughter, and left her face scarred and her soul brutalized. Turning the tables on the killer, Smoky shot him dead - but her life was shattered forever.
    Last edited by TotalMayhem; 17-12-2010 at 06:33 PM.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    I read Pillars ages ago and quite enjoyed the TV series based on the book, twas shown on TV3 a few weeks ago.

If you're looking for a good thriller ... I just started reading Cody McFadyen's "Shadow Man". It's the first book in a series of four, featuring female FBI Agent Smoky Barrett ...

That should do for Christmas afternoon.

Richard Dawkins "The Greatest Show on Earth" bought it for my darling last year and he is still hugging it!
    "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by sword. The other is by debt." -- John Adams

Cactus,

If you are still looking for Christmas reads let me recommend the Icelandic writer Halldor Laxness. He won the Noble Prize for fiction some time in the 1950's (either the year before of after Hemmingway) but is not that well known because he was a communist and his work was accordingly not promoted for decades in the west. I just picked up Under The Glacier and I think I'm going to really enjoy it. But if you read just one of his books it should be Independent People.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    Cactus,

If you are still looking for Christmas reads let me recommend the Icelandic writer Halldor Laxness. He won the Noble Prize for fiction some time in the 1950's (either the year before of after Hemmingway) but is not that well known because he was a communist and his work was accordingly not promoted for decades in the west. I just picked up Under The Glacier and I think I'm going to really enjoy it. But if you read just one of his books it should be Independent People.
    Thank you. I'll see if I can get a copy. Is it still in print ?

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Thank you. I'll see if I can get a copy. Is it still in print ?
    Absolutely.

Absolutely.

Did you write the customer review ?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Independent-People-Halldor-Laxness/dp/0679767924"]Amazon.com: Independent People (9780679767923): Halldor Laxness, Brad Leithauser: Books[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    No. I do not patronise that company. I would recommend that you order it from your local independent bookstore ... if you still have such things.

I think I'd like it. Went reindeer racing in the dark once. They are wild, not like horses, and you jump onto a little wooden sled pulled along on leather thongs wrapped around their antlers.

Heading off now, so I can get up for the lunar eclipse.

No. I do not patronise that company. I would recommend that you order it from your local independent bookstore ... if you still have such things.

Ireland is full of small bookshops.

People Korps Guest

Ganley was recently reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer http://peoplekorps.blogspot.com/2010...g-william.html

It is a bit old re historiography of the period but worthy.
    Also recommended The Black Jacobins by C. L. R. James

The Black Jacobins (1938), written by the Afro-Trinidadian writer C. L. R. James (4 January 1901–19 May 1989), is a history of the 1791-1804 Haitian revolution. Secker and Warburg first published this history in England in 1938. Later a second edition of the work was published in 1963. An appendix titled "From Toussaint L’Ouverture to Fidel Castro" was included in the 1963 publication.[1]

James's book chronicles the story behind the Haitian revolution and also the leadership of the former slave Toussaint L'Ouverture. James examines the brutal conditions of the slaves and the composition of the slave-owners and "free" Blacks and Mulattoes leading up to the Revolution, and how these contributed to the social necessity for revolution. James provides the reader with the social context, introducing the complex social classes and their various interests: new slaves from Africa vs. slaves born in the colony, slave-owners, poor or "small" whites, free Blacks and Mulattoes (some of whom were slave-owners but still oppressed), and more. After establishing the causes and players in the revolution, James includes a section in which he looks at the revolution itself in depth. Throughout the entire book James heavily emphasizes Toussaint L'Ouverture's role in the revolution. He also discusses how he believes it was Toussaint's unique background and skills that made him a successful leader for the rebel slaves. The work also explores the economic relations between the Caribbean economy and the European economy during the era before the Haitian revolution.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast