Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 49

Thread: FF scramble to stuff the quangos with their cronies before the Dail dissolution

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    555

    Default Re: FF scramble to stuff the quangos with their cronies before the Dail dissolution

    Kenny - your first policy - all Quangos abolished and not replaced

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,843

    Default Re: FF scramble to stuff the quangos with their cronies before the Dail dissolution

    Quote Originally Posted by culmore View Post
    Kenny - your first policy - all Quangos abolished and not replaced
    Did he really say that ?? or was it made in a jest ??

    I doubted his motives as he is considered too soft. He was never a more decisive leader or his past actions never defined him as that decisive as regards to 'walk the talk'.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,033

    Default Re: FF scramble to stuff the quangos with their cronies before the Dail dissolution

    Another question or two to ask at the meetings (go to the meetings, other people hear what you ask, and the answer, they don't on the doorstep) - what will you/your party do to remove quangos and will you ensure the salaries paid to members of those that survive are controlled?

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: FF scramble to stuff the quangos with their cronies before the Dail dissolution

    The issue of state boards is one of the most pressing areas of reform for government and public services. Many of the management/ executive ills of organisations stem from boards that lack key competencies that relate to their organisations or services. Board membership is not simply about "give, get or get out" (although this helps). Real leadership and responsibility starts with the board. What relevant knowledge and experience do any of these political relatives and party faithful bring to these state organisations and services? It is not simply who is on the board but how they are appointed. An incoming government whatever its stripes cannot pretend that their mates will be better fit for these boards just because they're their mates and not FFers. There are also state boards (particularly in the arts it seems) that are being left unstuffed, to the point that quorums are proving difficult to achieve. Perhaps cultural services are not as attractive as some of the other powerful state companies. Reform must mean visible accountability of board appointees and effective approval and oversight of appointments by the Dail or some other actually representative body.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Meath
    Posts
    8,578

    Default Re: FF scramble to stuff the quangos with their cronies before the Dail dissolution

    Quote Originally Posted by culmore View Post
    Kenny - your first policy - all Quangos abolished and not replaced
    wrong. his first policy is sell us down the river in a different manner and then give his mates some jobs on different quango boards than those we have now. They will close a few of them, but will keep at least half and rename some and the cronyism will remain.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Out of my mind
    Posts
    12,153

    Default Re: FF scramble to stuff the quangos with their cronies before the Dail dissolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    wrong. his first policy is sell us down the river in a different manner and then give his mates some jobs on different quango boards than those we have now. They will close a few of them, but will keep at least half and rename some and the cronyism will remain.
    Claire Ryan wrote an excellent piece about institutionalised corruption in Ireland for Bock's blog.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Meath
    Posts
    8,578

    Default Re: FF scramble to stuff the quangos with their cronies before the Dail dissolution

    Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    Claire Ryan wrote an excellent piece about institutionalised corruption in Ireland for Bock's blog.
    Yes shes right. Sean Gallagher in Louth is the perfect example of business and politics mixing. Even average american businessmen hate that. He will stand and they will all vote for this great millionaire-who has been a political adviser for FF and been appointed to state boards too. The only thing about him is, he has qualifications. All I would say is that he is your average FF hero-a business person who thinks we are all economic units in a big company, and not citizens of a democratic free society. I hate it when people say lets just let the business people run the show. 5 years ago the same ones were saying give it to seanie fitz, fingers, the developers, and so on. Now its the heroic bill cullen and Sean Gallagher like-if you are rich and believe ye can only achieve things through putting yourself first you must be able to run a country which relies on serivices and employment rights-right? Sean's profile is as follows:http://www.rte.ie/tv/dragonsden/profile_sean.html I dont think he is corrupt, or incompetent, but i do think hes a connected vested interest who wouldn't exactly prioritize giving people unemployment benefit if they needed it, a reasonable minimum wage and adequate public sector services. And Bill is the kind who'd want no local rates for businesses and water charges for residents.

    I know Im a business student, but this is why i believe in term limits. we cant give every great ceo a seat in the dail and expect he/she wont screw ordinary people. I mean, just see feargal quinn. he is in the seanad and will help sub contractors, but he wants the imf and minimum wage cuts and that we should all row in and so on as does o'leary. Business and politics should not mix. Even public/semi public/partial public enterprise is a public service and not a political entity.
    Last edited by Apjp; 16-12-2010 at 11:07 PM.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,956

    Default Re: FF scramble to stuff the quangos with their cronies before the Dail dissolution

    The Labour Party and the Greens will blatantly do the same. In fact, under the present system any party would.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    22,431

    Default Re: FF scramble to stuff the quangos with their cronies before the Dail dissolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Paine View Post
    The issue of state boards is one of the most pressing areas of reform for government and public services. Many of the management/ executive ills of organisations stem from boards that lack key competencies that relate to their organisations or services. Board membership is not simply about "give, get or get out" (although this helps). Real leadership and responsibility starts with the board. What relevant knowledge and experience do any of these political relatives and party faithful bring to these state organisations and services? It is not simply who is on the board but how they are appointed. An incoming government whatever its stripes cannot pretend that their mates will be better fit for these boards just because they're their mates and not FFers. There are also state boards (particularly in the arts it seems) that are being left unstuffed, to the point that quorums are proving difficult to achieve. Perhaps cultural services are not as attractive as some of the other powerful state companies. Reform must mean visible accountability of board appointees and effective approval and oversight of appointments by the Dail or some other actually representative body.
    Good post. These positions need to be taken out of the gift of political parties completely or the system will continue to be used for patronage and cronyism. A good start would be for the next government to set up an independent review body for public appointments staffed mainly by people on secondment from other jurisdictions for a couple of years.
    Why not cut short the term of office of these bodies in a rolling fashion over the next two years and subject the boards to a process of reappointment using a new set of objective qualifications?
    More than likely it would be discovered very quickly that the boards of many of these bodies could be halved without any consequences.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,843

    Default http://www.politicalworld.org/showthread.php?t=6079

    Quote Originally Posted by culmore View Post
    Jimmy malone - all the peole in the quangos are friends of FF - enough said
    Cut them... they're stacking 'em even higher. The FF mafia (sorry - appointees) are everywhere, all bought with our money for the benefit of De Party.
    They know no shame.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...285655643.html

    Quote Originally Posted by djeep View Post
    +100

    Quote Originally Posted by DJeep View Post
    Cut them... they're stacking 'em even higher. The FF mafia (sorry - appointees) are everywhere, all bought with our money for the benefit of De Party.
    They know no shame.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...285655643.html
    Yeah it's totally disgusting and nauseating to read this article. Is there a law here to prevent this??

    If not, the next incoming govt should enact new legalisation to prevent or bar any state/Quango's appointments prior to any GE.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 17-12-2010 at 08:55 AM.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,441

    Default Re: FF scramble to stuff the quangos with their cronies before the Dail dissolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Newsy View Post
    http://www.independent.ie/national-n...b-2406939.html

    And here is another one. cowen's brother appointed to the Irish Greyhound Board.
    Interesting.....the Horse and Greyhound Fund got a gift yesterday of 26.3 million for 2011.
    http://www.labour.ie/press/listing/1...923393187.html


    It was passed in the Dail yesterday.

    Not alone do ff stuff such boards with THEIR people.....they give them OUR money......

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,843

    Default Re: FF scramble to stuff the quangos with their cronies before the Dail dissolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Newsy View Post
    Interesting.....the Horse and Greyhound Fund got a gift yesterday of 26.3 million for 2011.
    http://www.labour.ie/press/listing/1...923393187.html


    It was passed in the Dail yesterday.

    Not alone do ff stuff such boards with THEIR people.....they give them OUR money......
    Interesting it was published in the Labour party paper but they had made no protests inside the dail re this one.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,956

    Default Re: FF scramble to stuff the quangos with their cronies before the Dail dissolution

    Apologies to culmore, djeep and anyone else whose posts I disrupted accidentally when merging some posts on quango-stuffing.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,044

    Default Re: FF scramble to stuff the quangos with their cronies before the Dail dissolution

    The Horse and Greyhound Fund .... looks like all that filling of John O'Donoghue and Mary Kate with champagne and ice-cream paid off after all.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,044

    Default Re: FF scramble to stuff the quangos with their cronies before the Dail dissolution

    There's never been a better time or excuse to burn every FF stuffed quango in Ireland. If the appointments can't be prevented then the quangos should be closed down. Its absolutely vital in my opinon that an electoral stuffing should be followed by a purge of FF appointments in public life right across the board.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us