Thread: Unite calls for national general strike and non-payment of water tax

Smile Unite calls for national general strike and non-payment of water tax

The Unite trade union has proposed a general strike in opposition to the Government’s economic programme and in support of an alternative strategy.

The union has also proposed a campaign of civil disobedience including the non-payment of any water or property taxes introduced in the forthcoming budget.

Irish regional secretary Jimmy Kelly said the union would be putting its proposals for national strike to the Irish Congress of Trade Unions in the weeks ahead.

Mr Kelly comments came as Unite published what it descried as a viable alternative budgetary strategy.

It said it would be aimed at reducing the budget deficit by encouraging growth and getting people back to work.

The strategy calls for investment of over €15 billion over the next four years from cash assets held by the State. It also includes proposals to end what it described as “regressive tax incentives” and to increase taxes initially on high earning groups,

It said efficiencies from the generation from the provision of public services should be reinvested into the economy.

Unite represents about 60,000 workers in Ireland

This is very good news. Hopefully it will be accepted by the ICTU, but I won't be holding my breath given their rottenness. What's interesting though is that it's smaller unions with more militant traditions such as Unite and TEEU that are calling for action, and it's entirely possible we could see a split in the ICTU with unions like the CPSU, Unite and the TEEU withdrawing and conducting their own campaigns.
    Нооруз пиээ пурылыа выиттыа

'Our goal is to conquer state power for the Irish working class'
    Pat Rabitte, 1987

"Can I ask whether this is what the men of 1916 died for: a bailout from the German chancellor with a few shillings of sympathy from the British chancellor on the side?"
    Michael Noonan, November 2010

Default Re: Unite calls for national general strike and non-payment of water tax

Quote Originally Posted by antiestablishmentarian View Post
    This is very good news. Hopefully it will be accepted by the ICTU, but I won't be holding my breath given their rottenness. What's interesting though is that it's smaller unions with more militant traditions such as Unite and TEEU that are calling for action, and it's entirely possible we could see a split in the ICTU with unions like the CPSU, Unite and the TEEU withdrawing and conducting their own campaigns.
    Agreed that UNITE and the TEEU are providing a good example to the rest of the trades union movement.

However, your implicit enthusiasm for a split in the trades union movement would not be progress.

Divide and conquer is the oldest game in the book when what is needed at present is maximum unity of the working class and progressives against the austerity agenda.

Default Re: Unite calls for national general strike and non-payment of water tax

What about hospitals and welfare services? They are vital-I do think we should strike, but why should frontline workers hit those who need their services most? Some things are just too important-i.e. a week long general strike for example would hit my family as dad is a single parent on the dole. Any strike in a hospital could result in death. those two services should not be part of any strike-I would support no general strike that hits welfare or hospitals. Whatever you say about politicians-people come first. No double standards please.

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    What about hospitals and welfare services? They are vital-I do think we should strike, but why should frontline workers hit those who need their services most? Some things are just too important-i.e. a week long general strike for example would hit my family as dad is a single parent on the dole. Any strike in a hospital could result in death. those two services should not be part of any strike-I would support no general strike that hits welfare or hospitals. Whatever you say about politicians-people come first. No double standards please.
    That's a very valid point.

It's in the self-interest of the union movement, as well as being in the interest of the common good, that industrial action does not (and is clearly seen not to) have a negative impact on the most disadvantaged in society.

Given the lust of the mainstream media for stories of divisive self-interest by the public service it is vital that the people do not become a sacrifice on this particular altar.

Excellent & heartening news.
    Extend it to include non-payment of the TV licence, and a string of recurring one-month mortgage/rent boycotts - with organised protection, protests, etc., for participants singled out for prosecution.

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    The withdrawal of duties which would not affect those in need of services could be organised, with a little effort.
    You're right. It's a protest - not a day-off; and has to function against the right people.
    The bus-drivers free-fare strikes a few years ago were excellent in this regard - of course the tossers came out & said they were stealing from their employer; shows it worked !

Arthur Scargill... alive and well and living in Dublin.

Ive seen unions out and about,and doing their vital press ops for the media,ive seen politicians and people who want to clamber into the dail do the same,and the whole protect our ce wages protest was a farce,(job agencies steal paid jobs from our most vunerable communities)why protest for people who in the end when they get what the want they dont give a monkey..im not going out of my way,i have been to a few protests pre fake boom and post fake boom,and i know no protest in the world(unfortunately) will stop this water charge coming in your door,it is going to be legislated soon enough,once that is passed you can forget it,so that extra deduction on your bills will be automatic,along with the property tax,which you will have to pay seprately i believe,the only way i can figure that will cut your bills down,is buying buckets and doing water extraction,or digging a well,i can't see any urban household escaping the costs though,even rural houses will be fitted with a water meter,although there will be an automatic charge at the first year of the water rates..
    Being honest im all for protest and civil disobedience but in this pseudo democracy filled with greedy self serving politicians still running the old school politics in our dail,i would say it is going to be difficult to have any effect,until they bring in the water units to our doors,then we can take back control and basically not pay,or find other ways of getting water into our houses without going through the main water pipes.
    I remember some years back a neighbour of mine had his electricity wired up to the neighbour next door,the neighbour hadn't a clue,and it went on for years like that,im sure there will be the odd plumber doing things like that when the rates come in..

Quote Originally Posted by LeftAtTheCross View Post
    Agreed that UNITE and the TEEU are providing a good example to the rest of the trades union movement.

However, your implicit enthusiasm for a split in the trades union movement would not be progress.

Divide and conquer is the oldest game in the book when what is needed at present is maximum unity of the working class and progressives against the austerity agenda.
    There are signs of imminent break up of SIPTU also. If a union is broken up in order to weaken it and reduce the effectiveness of action, I would agree with you. If it is broken up in order to dislodge a parasitic superstructure of fat cat non-elected leaders, it can only be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by recycled employee View Post
    Ive seen unions out and about,and doing their vital press ops for the media,ive seen politicians and people who want to clamber into the dail do the same,and the whole protect our ce wages protest was a farce,(job agencies steal paid jobs from our most vunerable communities)why protest for people who in the end when they get what the want they dont give a monkey..im not going out of my way,i have been to a few protests pre fake boom and post fake boom,and i know no protest in the world(unfortunately) will stop this water charge coming in your door,it is going to be legislated soon enough,once that is passed you can forget it,so that extra deduction on your bills will be automatic,along with the property tax,which you will have to pay seprately i believe,the only way i can figure that will cut your bills down,is buying buckets and doing water extraction,or digging a well,i can't see any urban household escaping the costs though,even rural houses will be fitted with a water meter,although there will be an automatic charge at the first year of the water rates..
    Being honest im all for protest and civil disobedience but in this pseudo democracy filled with greedy self serving politicians still running the old school politics in our dail,i would say it is going to be difficult to have any effect,until they bring in the water units to our doors,then we can take back control and basically not pay,or find other ways of getting water into our houses without going through the main water pipes.
    I remember some years back a neighbour of mine had his electricity wired up to the neighbour next door,the neighbour hadn't a clue,and it went on for years like that,im sure there will be the odd plumber doing things like that when the rates come in..
    A bit of solidarity would be nice. Welcome to the forum, by the way.

councils the most unregulated and corrupt of all,a law unto their own in their offices,in the greater council of london they have LESS county councillors working for thier population of millions,how many people do we have per county,yet they get big budgets and get in on the corruption?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055344970

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/e...al-478827.html

http://www.freewebs.com/justjustice/...cesscandal.htm

they won't make that water worth our while..

Quote Originally Posted by LeftAtTheCross View Post
    That's a very valid point.

It's in the self-interest of the union movement, as well as being in the interest of the common good, that industrial action does not (and is clearly seen not to) have a negative impact on the most disadvantaged in society.

Given the lust of the mainstream media for stories of divisive self-interest by the public service it is vital that the people do not become a sacrifice on this particular altar.
    exactly, and I am glad it is along my party line, or so I perceive it to be, that I am not alone in these concerns. However, notwithstanding these matters, I do support such a strike in the aforementioned principle: Just do not hit the people whose lives depend on your service. It is ok not to drive a train or a bus, but an ambulance is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    The withdrawal of duties which would not affect those in need of services could be organised, with a little effort.
    You're right. It's a protest - not a day-off; and has to function against the right people.
    The bus-drivers free-fare strikes a few years ago were excellent in this regard - of course the tossers came out & said they were stealing from their employer; shows it worked !
    Yes, free fare is perfect-you cannot sack Bus eireann for protesting in this manner against wage cuts, or reduced hours. It would mean no bus service. Social concerns are crucial, and we can protect our emergency services, and welfare services in any regard in my opinion and still have a very successful strike.

mmm, just a thought and maybe slightly off subject but what about toll roads, boycotting and working out alternative routes, is it a runner do you think or have they got that sown up route wise? In France, you can opt to go on the B roads as they often run parallel with/near to many A routes/toll roads. Certainly, boycotting the tunnel is being done by many truck drivers at the moment.
    Last edited by wickedfairy; 02-12-2010 at 11:10 PM.
    "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by sword. The other is by debt." -- John Adams