Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 581

Thread: Scottish Independence?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    heart of Europe
    Posts
    24,252

    Default Re: Scottish Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Buddha View Post
    You may not get it but your missus, Lady XXXX XXXXX of Glencoe, is probably entitled.
    She's not Irish though. She's from mainland Yoorup

    The UK only gives a vote to Irish people living there, and their own. I voted in Scottish elections previously

    To vote in a UK general election a person must be registered to vote and also:

    be 18 years of age or over on polling day
    be resident in the UK
    be a British citizen, a qualifying Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of the Republic of Ireland

    not be subject to any legal incapacity to vote
    http://www.electoralcommission.org.u...neral-election
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin North-West - the leading constituency!
    Posts
    5,881

    Default Re: Scottish Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    She's not Irish though. She's from mainland Yoorup

    The UK only gives a vote to Irish people living there, and their own. I voted in Scottish elections previously



    http://www.electoralcommission.org.u...neral-election
    I just thought that, as a titled landowner, an electoral entitlement would be a given. Maybe in the Lords, eh?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    heart of Europe
    Posts
    24,252

    Default Re: Scottish Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Buddha View Post
    I just thought that, as a titled landowner, an electoral entitlement would be a given. Maybe in the Lords, eh?
    I think Residency is required for voting
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin North-West - the leading constituency!
    Posts
    5,881

    Default Re: Scottish Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    I think Residency is required for voting
    There is an interesting question. Residency where? In Scotland only? Or if you are a Scot living in London, can you vote? If you are proudly Scottish living in Toronto, for example, can you have a say in this? Scotland has a dispora not unlike our own. Do they get a voice in this?

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    heart of Europe
    Posts
    24,252

    Default Re: Scottish Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Buddha View Post
    There is an interesting question. Residency where? In Scotland only? Or if you are a Scot living in London, can you vote? If you are proudly Scottish living in Toronto, for example, can you have a say in this? Scotland has a dispora not unlike our own. Do they get a voice in this?
    I am not sure.

    I would assume it is only folk resident in Scotland.

    Scottish people living in the rest of the UK could be tricky but the diaspora will be ignored I am sure, just like they are in Ireland.
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin North-West - the leading constituency!
    Posts
    5,881

    Default Re: Scottish Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    I am not sure.

    I would assume it is only folk resident in Scotland.

    Scottish people living in the rest of the UK could be tricky but the diaspora will be ignored I am sure, just like they are in Ireland.
    I am sure you are right. I know quite a number of Scottish people living in England, mostly in London, and this is a burning issue with many of them.

    The diaspora will, of course, be ignored, just, as you said, they are ignored in Ireland (apart from times when ideas of brilliance like "The Gathering" are being dreamt up).

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...
    Posts
    13,555

    Default Re: Scottish Independence?

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-19974690

    The Liberal Democrats are proposing a seperate bill that would involve 'federalisation'. This would mean that Scotland would have control over its taxes and other domestic affairs. UK would control its foreign affairs and its welfare thereby it not being fully independent. If things are not to the liking for the folks of Scotland this could be seen as a compromise of sorts but what are Camerons thoughts on this? He favours the status quo, this Lib Dems proposal might not sit well with him and the other toffee nosed Tories.
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin North-West - the leading constituency!
    Posts
    5,881

    Default Re: Scottish Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-19974690

    The Liberal Democrats are proposing a seperate bill that would involve 'federalisation'. This would mean that Scotland would have control over its taxes and other domestic affairs. UK would control its foreign affairs and its welfare thereby it not being fully independent. If things are not to the liking for the folks of Scotland this could be seen as a compromise of sorts but what are Camerons thoughts on this? He favours the status quo, this Lib Dems proposal might not sit well with him and the other toffee nosed Tories.
    Camerons thoughts are so easy to read they are written in bright neon signs.
    It is all or nothing. Either independence or the Union. He knows he has the figures
    on his side and that is why he specifically ruled out a third alternative. THAT was his victory, the elimination of an alternative. He will win unless he behaves like Thatcher
    and deliberately sets out to goad and provoke the Scots.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...
    Posts
    13,555

    Default Re: Scottish Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Buddha View Post
    Camerons thoughts are so easy to read they are written in bright neon signs.
    It is all or nothing. Either independence or the Union. He knows he has the figures
    on his side and that is why he specifically ruled out a third alternative. THAT was his victory, the elimination of an alternative. He will win unless he behaves like Thatcher
    and deliberately sets out to goad and provoke the Scots.
    Pigs come out and beat protestors and sink Scottish warships? He is going to be annoyed at the Lib Dems over this you can be guaranteed that...
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...
    Posts
    13,555

    Default Re: Scottish Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Buddha View Post
    Camerons thoughts are so easy to read they are written in bright neon signs.
    It is all or nothing. Either independence or the Union. He knows he has the figures
    on his side and that is why he specifically ruled out a third alternative. THAT was his victory, the elimination of an alternative. He will win unless he behaves like Thatcher
    and deliberately sets out to goad and provoke the Scots.
    Pigs come out and beat protestors and sink Scottish warships? He is going to be annoyed at the Lib Dems over this you can be guaranteed that...
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin North-West - the leading constituency!
    Posts
    5,881

    Default Re: Scottish Independence?

    He will do what he normally does with the Lib Dems. Ignore them first and indulge them as patronisingly as possible when he has no alternative.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...
    Posts
    13,555

    Default Re: Scottish Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Buddha View Post
    He will do what he normally does with the Lib Dems. Ignore them first and indulge them as patronisingly as possible when he has no alternative.
    That is what he has always done!
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    heart of Europe
    Posts
    24,252

    Default Re: Scottish Independence?

    Was looking at RBS figures, and they are quite shocking in terms of size. The Scots should force it to incorporate in London before they go it alone..if half of those loans defaulted it could bankrupt Scotland


    Key facts as at 30 June 2012
    Strong balance sheet metrics

    Customer deposits £435bn
    Group loan to deposit ratio: 104% (92% in Core divisions)
    Liquidity portfolio: £156bn
    Group Core tier 1 capital ratio: 11.1%
    Total funded assets £929bn.
    http://www.rbs.com/about/business-st...key-facts.html
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    heart of Europe
    Posts
    24,252

    Default Re: Scottish Independence?

    Salmond is in a wee bit of strife

    Alex Salmond has been accused of misleading voters about the legal advice given to his government about the right of an independent Scotland to join the European Union.

    The first minister has repeatedly said that Scotland would be an automatic member of the EU, be free to adopt sterling as its currency and would inherit all the UK's opt-outs on EU immigration and border controls. He has asserted that this position was supported by his government's legal advice.

    But Salmond was forced to make a statement to the Scottish parliament late on Tuesday after opposition leaders accused him of "lying" and "covering-up" following an admission from his deputy, Nicola Sturgeon, that no specific legal advice had been given by Scottish law officers on EU membership.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...?newsfeed=true

    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    heart of Europe
    Posts
    24,252

    Default Re: Scottish Independence?

    Whatshisname sticking his beak in

    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us